Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

06-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #1
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 2001 E39 535i MSp

Door Handle Comfort Access

Hi Guys. Three years ago I had a fault with the passenger rear door handle , it was constantly waking the car up looking for a signal from the key fob. The handle was replaced under manufacturers warranty. Yesterday I went out to wash the car and it unlocked it's self as I walked down the passenger side of the car with out me pulling the door handle or pressing any buttons on the fob it then locked it's self. On investigating what was going on I could unlock the car by pulling the rear handle but couldn't lock it by swiping my finger over the handle. But I could lock the car when swiping my finger over the other three handles. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar problems with the comfort access and why the same door handle on my car has failed again. I am going to contact my local dealer in the morning to try and get some answers. My car is a 20014 F10 M5.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 01:21 AM   #2
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Hi

I just had the same thing fixed. My dealer initially couldn’t find the right fault category so apparently it takes a bit of discussion to agree the warranty claim.

Door handles are not covered under warranty but the comfort access is covered so you are entitled to a repair (new handle) (my experience with BMW extended warranty).

It was £600, took a week for parts and half a day to fix.

I like to see if I can/ could have fixed stuff myself. This one didn’t look v easy, maybe there is some experience on the forum.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 05:49 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Not just an isolated case this comfort access problem, seems to affect any car with it fitted at some time.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the reply's , spoke to my dealer this morning and the car is booked in for next Thursday. The last time it went in with the same problem, it took about four weeks to get the handle sent from Germany. I'll let you know how I get on.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      06-22-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Not just an isolated case this comfort access problem, seems to affect any car with it fitted at some time.
I’ve had the TPMS then the comfort access. Does this mean I get coil pack next?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 12:38 AM   #6
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Door handle Update

Well I took the car in yesterday to my BMW service agent. They called me at the end of the day to say they couldn't find a fault with the car, I asked them so the car is locking and unlocking as it should do. Which they said yes and did I wish to come and collect the car or leave it with them for a few day I chose to collect it, but on getting the keys from them when I walked out to the car and walked up to the nearside rear door the car unlocked itself without me using the key fob or touching the door handle. So I went back to the service desk feeling a little pissed off. The person at the desk made a phone call to see if the technician that was looking at the car was still on site. Which he wasn't and I was told they would have to order a new door handle and possibly the locking mechanism. So the car is going back in a weeks time, let's see what happens then. Mean while I think I will call the warranty company too check I am covered for this work even though the service agent can't find a fault code.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 05:49 AM   #7
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenazaki View Post
Well I took the car in yesterday to my BMW service agent. They called me at the end of the day to say they couldn't find a fault with the car, I asked them so the car is locking and unlocking as it should do. Which they said yes and did I wish to come and collect the car or leave it with them for a few day I chose to collect it, but on getting the keys from them when I walked out to the car and walked up to the nearside rear door the car unlocked itself without me using the key fob or touching the door handle. So I went back to the service desk feeling a little pissed off. The person at the desk made a phone call to see if the technician that was looking at the car was still on site. Which he wasn't and I was told they would have to order a new door handle and possibly the locking mechanism. So the car is going back in a weeks time, let's see what happens then. Mean while I think I will call the warranty company too check I am covered for this work even though the service agent can't find a fault code.
Idiots this would really piss me off
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #8
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Update on the update

Spoke to BMW insured warranty today and explained the fault I was having with my car and I was told that they wouldn't tell me over the phone weather they would cover parts being fitted. I would have to get my service agent to submit a claim.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #9
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep

It says a lot that people on this forum each go through exactly the same BS to get their cars fixed. I wonder how many people have ended up paying for faulty door handles because the warranty company and dealers keeps saying the same thing
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #10
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I was wondering the same. I think a lot of people can't be bothered with the hassle and just pay up. When you buy a premium product and pay a premium price for warranty you don't expect do have to do battle when something goes wrong.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      07-05-2020, 09:35 AM   #11
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I have just been out in the car and needed to get some petrol and on returning to the car it wouldn't start and I was getting various fault warnings come up on the dash. Called the AA who didn't take long in arriving. The car drained his battery pack, but we managed to start the car with a jump start. He suspects I've got one or two dead cells in the battery which might be causing the fault I'm having with the comfort access. So my service agent will be getting a call in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I have just used the carly app on my phone and found 91 issues manly down too voltage problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #13
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have just used the carly app on my phone and found 91 issues manly down too voltage problems.
Just clear them and make sure the car is on charge if not used for a few weeks
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 04:51 AM   #14
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

She sits on a smart charger most of the time and I'm leaving all the fault code in so they are there when the car goes in next week. One of the faults points too the comfort access door handle sensor.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      07-07-2020, 07:37 AM   #15
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

It does start but I can't trust it will start if I take it out and have to restart it. So I shall wait till I take it back to my service agent.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #16
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
She sits on a smart charger most of the time and I'm leaving all the fault code in so they are there when the car goes in next week. One of the faults points too the comfort access door handle sensor.
What charger do you use?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #17
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I use a CTEK MXS 7.0
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      07-08-2020, 01:00 AM   #18
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep

You might need some tactics before you go back, if I’m reading the warranty correctly the battery isn’t covered by warranty, which may leave you with at least the diagnostic charge from the dealer. I’m not sure how they would categorise issues that are covered but were caused by the battery itself.

Assuming you are right that your problems come from a faulty battery and voltage issues, is it possible for you to borrow a mates M5 battery, hook it up and see if the car rights itself?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #19
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I think the battery problem is a secondary one and I know it is an expensive item but a consumable. I think the door handle problem has shortened the life of the battery but I don't expect the warranty to cover the cost of the battery. I do expect them to cover the cost of the handle and I will be pushing my service agent to argue my case.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58873.50
      07-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #20
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Latest update I picked the car up from my service agent this afternoon. Battery health is fine but the car does need a new door handle which is a three week back order from Germany as it needs to the right colour. The handle on the car has been deactivated but still locks and unlocks on the central locking. So the saga goes on.
Appreciate 2
OneExtra809.50
M5Rick58873.50
      07-18-2020, 04:52 AM   #21
kenazaki
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

I took the car out late yesterday afternoon (twenty four hours ) since I parked up, I didn't connect the battery to my trickle charger. The car started fine I drove for about ten miles and parked up. Two hours later I went to start the car and got message rapid battery discharge when stationary and she wouldn't crank over. I had to jump start the car. I had a look on Youtube about this problem and it seem to happen quite a lot for various reasons. One video I saw showed how to check what amps were being used when the car was shutting down. By connecting a multi meter to the disconnected earth cable on the battery making sure all doors were locked and flipping the boot (trunk ) catch to make the car go to sleep. I have tried this but the alarm keeps going off and I am not showing any amps on the multi meter which I have set up as shown on the video. Does anyone Know what I might be doing wrong. I have started to lose a bit of faith in my BMW service agents ability to diagnose problems.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 05:04 AM   #22
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
I took the car out late yesterday afternoon (twenty four hours ) since I parked up, I didn't connect the battery to my trickle charger. The car started fine I drove for about ten miles and parked up. Two hours later I went to start the car and got message rapid battery discharge when stationary and she wouldn't crank over. I had to jump start the car. I had a look on Youtube about this problem and it seem to happen quite a lot for various reasons. One video I saw showed how to check what amps were being used when the car was shutting down. By connecting a multi meter to the disconnected earth cable on the battery making sure all doors were locked and flipping the boot (trunk ) catch to make the car go to sleep. I have tried this but the alarm keeps going off and I am not showing any amps on the multi meter which I have set up as shown on the video. Does anyone Know what I might be doing wrong. I have started to lose a bit of faith in my BMW service agents ability to diagnose problems.
Since it's been presumably doing this since the door handle problem I would say whatever it is,is connected to the door handle connections maybe via the ecu.
Someone else with an earlier 61 reg model with CE was having this problem and disconnected the handle but could still lock and unlock it by pressing the button on door handle though his battery was fine.
Appreciate 1