M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

07-16-2020, 08:40 PM   #1
21F90M5C
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021-M5C LCI

Listening to Music/Audio - Bluetooth or USB

Hi

Just curious to see how many use the USB port instead of Bluetooth or other method to listen to music

Is there a significant positive difference using usb over Bluetooth?

Thank You
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 09:16 PM   #2
Barry_S
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 F10

Garage List
2015 BMW F10 M5  [0.00]
2018 BMW F15 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16F10M5 View Post
Hi

Just curious to see how many use the USB port instead of Bluetooth or other method to listen to music

Is there a significant positive difference using usb over Bluetooth?

Thank You
I always use Bluetooth. I haven't been able to discern any difference through USB.

Bluetooth is just more convenient.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2020, 01:56 AM   #3
Cylenterok
Private
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
  [0.00]
I use USB and Direct upload on the idrive system. Rarely Bluetooth. I coded video in motion and I download YouTube music videos. So I have a usb stick with about 400 plus videos and I watch videos and/ listen to music while driving 😉😎. It's pretty sweet. Direct upload to idrive has gigs of music I can access fairly quickly. I use my phone too much during the day to bother with playing music through Bluetooth. Plus it's cooler to pull up with videos playing on the large idrive screen and music blasting. lol.
E70 X5M
E90 335i XDrive M Sport BMW Performance Edition
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
21F90M5C
Private
Rep

Conversion?

Do you need to convert the YouTube downloaded file to a specific format in order to view it in the Navi screen?

Also coded for video in motion and am enjoying my purchased music dvd concerts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylenterok View Post
I use USB and Direct upload on the idrive system. Rarely Bluetooth. I coded video in motion and I download YouTube music videos. So I have a usb stick with about 400 plus videos and I watch videos and/ listen to music while driving 😉😎. It's pretty sweet. Direct upload to idrive has gigs of music I can access fairly quickly. I use my phone too much during the day to bother with playing music through Bluetooth. Plus it's cooler to pull up with videos playing on the large idrive screen and music blasting. lol.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
Cylenterok
Private
Guyana
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16F10M5 View Post
Do you need to convert the YouTube downloaded file to a specific format in order to view it in the Navi screen?

Also coded for video in motion and am enjoying my purchased music dvd concerts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylenterok View Post
Nope. No need to convert. I use real player to download the videos. Very simple. I believe they download in mp4 format. Just put them on your USB stick and they play automatically. Everything plays with no problems at all. Also I did not code the idrive to play all types of formats. Of course some videos are recorded lower than others so there is some difference in sound quality with different videos but overall they all play clear and loud.
E70 X5M
E90 335i XDrive M Sport BMW Performance Edition
Appreciate 2
      07-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #6
21F90M5C
Private
Rep

Thank you
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2020, 12:32 AM   #7
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

I use an SSD plugged into the USB port with flac music files ripped from my cd collection organized into a hierarchy. Plenty of room for videos though I still haven't really gotten around to finding and downloading them off YouTube. Good to hear that they do not always need conversion.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2020, 07:25 AM   #8
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

For what it's worth, bit rate for Bluetooth is going to be lower than playing a lossless file over USB. Exactly how much lower I can't say, as I'm unsure which Bluetooth and protocol our cars use. That will also make it easier or harder to tell any difference. My guess is Bluetooth is equivalent to a mid-level mp3.

Personally I use an old ~256gb ipod with alac, though I want to switch to a straight ssd, as I'd hope the B&O has a better DAC than the ~15 year-old ipod.

Last edited by vafan13; 07-25-2020 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 1