M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

07-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #1
FANBMWM
If in doubt flat out - Colin Mcrae
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10 LCI SMB M2 LCI LBB

Garage List
2010 BMW 760li  [10.00]
My M5 F10 Makes a worrying noise, PLEASE HELP!

Hi Everyone,
My 2016 M5 F10 makes a chirping noise, please watch my video and help me find the source of this annoying noise
Absolutely no modifications

Thank you in advance for any input
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
M5Yams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m5 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANBMWM View Post
Hi Everyone,
My 2016 M5 F10 makes a chirping noise, please watch my video and help me find the source of this annoying noise
Absolutely no modifications

Thank you in advance for any input
Hey man I tried listening to your video but I'm at work and had no headphones available. But I had a chirp sound happening as well, it is the exhaust flaps on the tailpipes, you can pipe strap them open, which will give you a touch me aggressive sound, or you can use a graphite grease on them.
Once I get home I'll try giving it another listen.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #3
M5Yams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m5 competition

Alright so I gave it another listen, its definitely not those rear valves. Those valves give off a very short chirp. So after listening on headphones you can here a sustained sound at low rpm, kinda like a squeak. First guess is the serpentine belt is starting to go bad, which generally starts with a squeak. Easy way to check that is to get a can of lightweight lubricant (WD40) and spray on one of the pulleys that the belt rides along, when you give it a quick shot if it is the belt squeaking it will change pitch or stop all together. Note that this isn't the fix but will tell you if that's your issue.
Next guess would be that you possible have an intake leak, high vacuum caused by a turbo leaking through a crack could squeal, check your hose clamps and the 7 torx head screws that go around your intake air boxes, when I did my charcoal filter delete I noticed one of mine was almost entirely out.
Let me know what you find. Good luck!
Appreciate 0