04-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #45
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKhoda View Post
ESS high flow catted downpipes are currently installed.
So you've already switched the sensors from bank to bank and continue getting an issue on bank 2?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #46
JoeKhoda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
So you've already switched the sensors from bank to bank and continue getting an issue on bank 2?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #47
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes.
Is the engine running ok? Full power etc? What are your fuel trims showing as on ISTA?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #48
JoeKhoda
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes.
Is the engine running ok? Full power etc? What are your fuel trims showing as on ISTA?
For the most part it runs fine. Full power. Only slightly erratic on cold startup.

I've been trying to figure out how to see fuel trims on ISTA. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #49
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
For the most part it runs fine. Full power. Only slightly erratic on cold startup.

I've never used ISTA to be honest. You may already know but you need to be looking for STFT and LTFT, you should have bank 1 and bank 2 there. I don't think ISTA gives a full description of the data, but as I said I've never used it so I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 04:57 AM   #50
JoeKhoda
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've never used ISTA to be honest. You may already know but you need to be looking for STFT and LTFT, you should have bank 1 and bank 2 there. I don't think ISTA gives a full description of the data, but as I said I've never used it so I could be wrong.
I'll try to figure out a way to get some live data recorded. Going to my local auto hobby shop to attempt a smoke test. Will report back with results.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #51
JoeKhoda
Private
Rep

Smoke test done, not a single leak from intake or exhaust. (I tested from both ends). As far as fuel trims go the only measurement I can find is the Multiplicative adaptation.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #52
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Smoke test done, not a single leak from intake or exhaust. (I tested from both ends). As far as fuel trims go the only measurement I can find is the Multiplicative adaptation.
You could be looking at a bad cat. If you're unable to find the data and you have the ability to change the cats yourself I would start there since you have the OEM ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #53
JoeKhoda
Private
Rep

Quote:
You could be looking at a bad cat. If you're unable to find the data and you have the ability to change the cats yourself I would start there since you have the OEM ones.
That's the direction I'm headed in. I'll let her sit overnight, and remove them tomorrow. If there's anything wrong with the catalytic material, I guess I can just gut them out and go catless! Already have new hardware, gaskets, plugs, coils, and O2s on order as well from FCP.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 12:29 PM   #54
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That's the direction I'm headed in. I'll let her sit overnight, and remove them tomorrow. If there's anything wrong with the catalytic material, I guess I can just gut them out and go catless! Already have new hardware, gaskets, plugs, coils, and O2s on order as well from FCP.
Be sure to post pics of your find, would be quite interesting.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 06:22 PM   #55
JoeKhoda
Private
Rep

Decided to go another route....for now. After e-mailing ESS to see what they would say, they immediately pointed out the intakes. So tonight I reinstalled the OEM intakes and reset adaptations. I'll let the car go to sleep overnight, and I'll start testing tomorrow morning. If I get the same results, I'll go for downpipes next.. In any case, I'll post results.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 03:38 AM   #56
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Decided to go another route....for now. After e-mailing ESS to see what they would say, they immediately pointed out the intakes. So tonight I reinstalled the OEM intakes and reset adaptations. I'll let the car go to sleep overnight, and I'll start testing tomorrow morning. If I get the same results, I'll go for downpipes next.. In any case, I'll post results.
I was going to mention intakes but I was sure I'd seen you mention that you were still running oem intakes. Must have mistaken it for another post.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 08:07 AM   #57
JoeKhoda
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was going to mention intakes but I was sure I'd seen you mention that you were still running oem intakes. Must have mistaken it for another post.
Reset mixture adaptations, and took her for a drive up and down the autostrada. Came back home and ran the o2 test a few times. Numbers also seem to be a bit better. Bank 2 is only slightly more rich at idle. 0.05v difference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 06:40 AM   #58
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
O2's appear to be working fine. The mixture adaptions at the bottom - are they starting to deviate from each other?

I've seen other posts where intakes cause rich/lean codes. Could be your issue.

Sorry if this was covered a long time ago in the thread, but have you ever replaced the MAF's?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 06:43 AM   #59
JoeKhoda
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
O2's appear to be working fine. The mixture adaptions at the bottom - are they starting to deviate from each other?

I've seen other posts where intakes cause rich/lean codes. Could be your issue.

Sorry if this was covered a long time ago in the thread, but have you ever replaced the MAF's?
This is with the factory intakes installed. I've never replaced the MAFs, only swapped left to right to see if problem followed with no change.

Bank 2 looks like it's just slightly more rich at idle.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 06:57 AM   #60
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
This is with the factory intakes installed. I've never replaced the MAFs, only swapped left to right to see if problem followed with no change.

Yeah, I meant that I see you reinstalled the factory boxes. Hopefully that fixes the issue.

re: MAF's - how many miles on them now? I noticed a difference in driveability when I replaced mine at 70k. We have cross bank exhaust manifolds, so I don't know how accurate they can be when describing bank 1 versus bank 2 faults with mixture control especially. Food for thought.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 07:17 AM   #61
JoeKhoda
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I meant that I see you reinstalled the factory boxes. Hopefully that fixes the issue.

re: MAF's - how many miles on them now? I noticed a difference in driveability when I replaced mine at 70k. We have cross bank exhaust manifolds, so I don't know how accurate they can be when describing bank 1 versus bank 2 faults with mixture control especially. Food for thought.
Quote:

My bad. To my knowledge the MAFs have never been replaced. The car still drives amazing and there are no drivability issues.

I do keep in mind the cross-bank manifold, and that is just making troubleshooting that much more difficult.

I really don't want to just throw money at it and replace a bunch of stuff. I'd rather replace what's broke to ensure I get a good fix, but at this point I just want it to be fixed lol.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #62
JoeKhoda
Private
Rep

Borrowed an ELM adapter from a buddy. Here are the latest logs at idle. Bank 2 LTFT is hovering around -7%.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #63
JoeKhoda
Private
Rep

Ok guys. I currently have 4x O2 sensors, 2x Fuel tank breather valves, new plugs and coils, and a bunch of hardware on order from FCP.

I performed the tank solenoid test and found a variation between each component. Bank 2 sounded like it was sticking and sluggish. (no codes).

As soon as that stuff comes in, I'll do the swap, reset adaptations and check LTFTs..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #64
ChiTownCoding
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Was this ever continued? Resolved?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 07:36 AM   #65
Thorsten
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M

HI,

any update?
Or is the problem solved after changign the parts from your last order?

Thorsten

Last edited by Thorsten; 09-23-2020 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 02:08 AM   #66
JoeKhoda
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCoding View Post
Was this ever continued? Resolved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenD View Post
HI,

any update?
Or is the problem solved after changign the parts from your last order?

Thorsten
After months of waiting for new parts to arrive (They were mis-sent to Bahrain), there is still a difference of about 5-7% on LTFT. The car runs great with no codes at all, so I will continue to put miles on and periodically check fuel trims.
Appreciate 0