M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

10-03-2022, 01:58 PM   #1
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Dash and iDrive Not Starting Up on Ignition

Hello,

I am currently having issue with my dash and iDrive that when on start up, the car turns over without issue, but then the dash/tachometer will rise up after about 2-3 seconds after. As well, the iDrive will occasionally show "NO SIGNAL" that will then come back on about 1-2 min.

Would this possibly be due to the car being tuned or is this a low battery issue? It is very inconsistent with the iDrive, but the dash is every start up.

Thank you a bunch!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 05:20 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Shouldn't be a delay and the dash should light up when car is unlocked and door opened.
If it continues I'd take it in to dealer in case it goes off for good when driving at night.
There have been issues with water leaks on some F10's through a weak bulkhead plastic plug.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 02:15 PM   #3
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremexlonly View Post
Hello,

I am currently having issue with my dash and iDrive that when on start up, the car turns over without issue, but then the dash/tachometer will rise up after about 2-3 seconds after. As well, the iDrive will occasionally show "NO SIGNAL" that will then come back on about 1-2 min.

Would this possibly be due to the car being tuned or is this a low battery issue? It is very inconsistent with the iDrive, but the dash is every start up.

Thank you a bunch!
This sounds like a low battery issue, having low charge on the battery throws everything out of wack
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 04:04 AM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Does the 'recharge battery' flash actually come on?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2022, 02:58 PM   #5
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hello M5Rick fstm5

Right now, no "recharge battery" has come on, however I have had issues of startup where I have to wait maybe 4-5 seconds where it will struggle to turn on and hard idle after. I believe it is the battery as I would turn off, then no issue after like a regular start up. I will also check my battery health and see if a replacement would be needed. I was hoping that it just needed a little driving and charging, but looks like the end of this battery ��
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 03:11 PM   #6
supremexlonly
Enlisted Member
Rep

@fstm5 @M5Rick Just took the car in, everything was due to the main battery! 🙃 but car turns on, everything digitally is back to normal! Just a heads up, make sure that if you replace the battery, you register the battery to your car. If you don't, the car will not control your alternator which will lead to a battery replacement a lot faster.

Also, check with your service advisor as some years have either a lithium battery which they quoted $2.2k just for the battery prior to labor.

Also, the dealer is roughly 400 installed for the main battery. If you need the auxiliary battery replaced, you will be looking towards the 500 range for install

Thank you everyone for helping me through!
Appreciate 0