M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

04-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
kerrit
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red e90 M3

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Bavsound Upgrade vs B&O

I have my eyes on an almost fully loaded 2016 comp but it's lacking the B&O sound option. It has full leather though, which is more important to me.

I'm an audiophile and was wondering if anyone has directly compared the HK BavSound upgrade (speaker and subs) to the B&O? If close (or even better) then it will make me feel okay forgoing the option.
      04-12-2020, 09:58 AM   #2
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I have the B&O in my M5. It is decent when setup properly (the standard settings leave a lot to be desired) but certainly not what I would call audiophile standard. I like quite a bright sound and feel that the B&O is a little lacking in the highs - no shortage of bass however.

If you can find a car that ticks all the options great, but if not I wouldn't die in a ditch about not having the B&O.

Haven't had any first hand experience with the BavSound HK upgrade so can't help you on that specific question sorry.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
kerrit
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
appreciate the details on the B&O! may just get the HK and upgrade it.
      04-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I should have also added, I agree with you on the full leather. It transforms the interior and makes it feel like a much more special car (practically everything is leather - dash, centre console, full door trims etc).
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 09:34 PM   #5
Larry77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp "Ultimate Pkg"

I have had the H/K upgrade to Stage 2 Bavsound (all speakers and subs) and now have B&O in my M5. I agree that the B&O is a little week on the highs and I would say the H/K upgrade from Bavsound was weak on the bass. I felt the Bavsound's under seat "subs" were not nearly as low as my stock H/K's but they were tighter and filled in the mids I was missing. I ended up keeping all the speakers but the underseat subs, I switched those back to stock to keep the low end and was fairly satisfied.

My H/K system was in a 2013 3 series so I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as the 5-series setup but I would definitely not have been happy with the stock H/K where I am actually pretty happy with the B&O in my M5.

There are other options to upgrade the H/K system if you end up not happy with the sound. MusicarNW is in PDX and they do AMAZING work on BMW sound systems if you really want a great system down the road. Personally, I did look for an M5 with the B&O but if I found the perfect car with the H/K, I'm sure I would have still made the purchase. I agree that the full leather is a more important option if you had to choose between the two.

FYI, car stereo systems used to be my passion before I got old, so I am very picky about car audio and have a lot of experience with both SQ (sound quality) and SPL (bass head) systems.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 11:36 PM   #6
kerrit
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 E90 M3  [0.00]
2014 M5 CP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry77 View Post
I have had the H/K upgrade to Stage 2 Bavsound (all speakers and subs) and now have B&O in my M5. I agree that the B&O is a little week on the highs and I would say the H/K upgrade from Bavsound was weak on the bass. I felt the Bavsound's under seat "subs" were not nearly as low as my stock H/K's but they were tighter and filled in the mids I was missing. I ended up keeping all the speakers but the underseat subs, I switched those back to stock to keep the low end and was fairly satisfied.

My H/K system was in a 2013 3 series so I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as the 5-series setup but I would definitely not have been happy with the stock H/K where I am actually pretty happy with the B&O in my M5.

There are other options to upgrade the H/K system if you end up not happy with the sound. MusicarNW is in PDX and they do AMAZING work on BMW sound systems if you really want a great system down the road. Personally, I did look for an M5 with the B&O but if I found the perfect car with the H/K, I'm sure I would have still made the purchase. I agree that the full leather is a more important option if you had to choose between the two.

FYI, car stereo systems used to be my passion before I got old, so I am very picky about car audio and have a lot of experience with both SQ (sound quality) and SPL (bass head) systems.

This is great information, thank you so much!