M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-25-2021, 12:24 AM   #1
SilverSlug
Hey, where have you been all my life?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

Is it possible to swap in a 6spd trans?

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to swap in a 6spd trans into an LCI F1X 6-series with Comp Pack?

I'm asking on the M5 forum since it is the same engine and trans, and there's a lot more traffic here.

It seems that the actual trans should bolt right in, along with the trim and shift knob, etc… The biggest concern would be coding out the trans from the ECU.

Has anyone done this?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #2
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlug View Post
Does anyone know how difficult it would be to swap in a 6spd trans into an LCI F1X 6-series with Comp Pack?

I'm asking on the M5 forum since it is the same engine and trans, and there's a lot more traffic here.

It seems that the actual trans should bolt right in, along with the trim and shift knob, etc… The biggest concern would be coding out the trans from the ECU.

Has anyone done this?
Mechanically should be an easy bolt in swap. You'll need to accommodate new cooler lines as well. Not sure how similar to the DCT the lines/cooler are.

I'm not sure what coding is involved. You would want to change the cluster so the shift indicators work correctly (6 gears versus 7). As for the engine, I don't think they tuned them differently. Mine sometimes oddly hangs revs after pushing in the clutch, making me think it's programmed for DCT.
Appreciate 1