BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-28-2021, 02:30 AM   #1
Pedrosub
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

New M5 owner to be

Good morning UK.

Im currently in the marked for an M5. Budget of 30k.
Trading in my mapped 17 plate 335d.

Ive had a few quick cars over the years, mostly Jap stuff, Evos and Imprezas (still have an RB5, STi3 and a Prodrive car, all under covers) but the midlife crisis is calling.

There are plenty for sale for my budget, but range from 12-16 plates, 27k - 75k miles.

Is it best to go for lowest miles possible and mever mind model year, or look for 16 plate with 60k miles thats had new discs and pads, coils, plugs and diff oil changed??
Or go somewhere in middle?

FSH and running in service is a must and ive also read up on bearing failure around 60k, albeit Ive seen a fair few M5s for sale with higher miles than that.

Any advice is welcome
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:53 AM   #2
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Not sure if you guys are close but maybe this tickles your fancy.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27467272
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:57 AM   #3
Pedrosub
Rep

Thanks for the reply.
It does look a nice car, but too old and too high milea for me.
I have another 10k in my budget, and my 335d has only 35k miles on it. That M5 would be over 100k by time Im ready to sell it
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 04:11 AM   #4
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrosub View Post
Thanks for the reply.
It does look a nice car, but too old and too high milea for me.
I have another 10k in my budget, and my 335d has only 35k miles on it. That M5 would be over 100k by time Im ready to sell it
Hi mate thats my car by the way...I can completely understand your line of thinking but what I would say is that there are plenty of abused M5s out there on the second hand market....Dont be put off by high mileage as these cars are bullet proof if maintained appropriately

My car has always had warranty so whenever something has gone wrong its always been fixed appropriately ie not a bodged repair to save on cost and the only reason why i didn't extend my extended warranty this year is because im selling it

If it were me I would always buy a car like this from a main dealer so that I can get the warranty but you obviously have to pay a premium for this...If the budget does not stretch (which in your case it seems like it will) my second point of call would be to try and by from a member of a club/forum like this as a natural petrol head is more likely to look after their car (in my opinion anyway)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Pedrosub. I bought my '13 four years ago with 25k miles with remaining six months warranty used once for an a/c rad failure then didn't renew the warranty and have had no trouble with it apart from a bit of water getting into passenger compartment which I rectified myself.
I'd consider the '11 on sale in London,it's been well looked after and has useable options.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 09:14 AM   #6
tinysM5
Private
Rep
Drives: subaru

im also on the lookout for an f10 m5, and im a previous scooby owner (had blobeye sti with 440bhp and latest was a hawk sti with 360bhp)

i think buying under 60k is a wise choice as the warranty price goes up after 60k ( correct me if im wrong though)

regular oil changes is a must aswell as the running in service, ive seen a few that have had a running in service @ around 1k then not another oil change until 16k which is awful in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 11:01 AM   #7
Pedrosub
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinysM5 View Post
im also on the lookout for an f10 m5, and im a previous scooby owner (had blobeye sti with 440bhp and latest was a hawk sti with 360bhp)

i think buying under 60k is a wise choice as the warranty price goes up after 60k ( correct me if im wrong though)

regular oil changes is a must aswell as the running in service, ive seen a few that have had a running in service @ around 1k then not another oil change until 16k which is awful in my opinion.
Yes, warranty jumps from £1500 to almost £5000 after 60k miles.
Im looking at an Imola red one auto trader just now.
49k miles. £30k
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #8
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Yes, warranty jumps from £1500 to almost £5000 after 60k miles.
Im looking at an Imola red one auto trader just now.
49k miles. £30k
I saw that - a Sytner car, I seem to recall ?

Looks absolutely stunning
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 04:14 PM   #9
Pedrosub
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
I saw that - a Sytner car, I seem to recall ?

Looks absolutely stunning

It is.
Ive asked for a breakdown of the FSH miles
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:44 AM   #10
Pedrosub
Rep

Got the SH details back.
Serviced at 903 miles 5/2017
12400 miles 5/2018
33500 miles 5/2019

And sitting at 49500 now

Its advertised as FSH. But surely not having had an oil change since 2019 and 16000 miles its well overdue?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:50 AM   #11
Pedrosub
Rep

Plus its been 21000 between an oil change and sitting on 16000 from last one!!

I guess the search continues....
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:54 AM   #12
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Plus its been 21000 between an oil change and sitting on 16000 from last one!!

I guess the search continues....
Yeah I would walk away from that. I would like to see oil changes every 6k but that just won't happen with the guidelines set out by bmw. I think anything more than 10k oil changes would not get my cash.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 08:02 AM   #13
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Just to echo what people have said here and on the warranty thread, there’s a huge difference between a car that’s been launched and thrashed from cold versus one that’s been looked after, and spec age and miles just don’t help. When I bought I only bought a car after going through the dealer records in detail, including tyre changes. I didn’t get lots of nice-to-have spec but touch wood the car has been bulletproof and that’s much more important to me.

30k will buy you a really nice car.

You’ve had some really quick exciting cars, the M5 is quite different to them. Have you had a decent test of one?

I love mine BTW, not trying to put you off.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:06 AM   #14
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
Just to echo what people have said here and on the warranty thread, there’s a huge difference between a car that’s been launched and thrashed from cold versus one that’s been looked after, and spec age and miles just don’t help. When I bought I only bought a car after going through the dealer records in detail, including tyre changes. I didn’t get lots of nice-to-have spec but touch wood the car has been bulletproof and that’s much more important to me.

You’ve had some really quick exciting cars, the M5 is quite different to them. Have you had a decent test of one?

ive not tested one yet but i need to to see if i fit in one as im very tall and quite big with it aswell. the seats look quite narrow but it may just be the angles of photos ive seen.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:02 PM   #15
Pedrosub
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post

No, I havent driven one yet. I hope I wont be disappointed.

Lusted after one for years, but always been out of reach until now.
Kids are all grown up, work is good consisering past year.
My 335d is 380bhp 550lbs torque. Xdrive makes a difference in the wet. My old 535d was mapped and it lost traction at 70 in the wet, even with rainsports.

Im not after 0-60 timea. More into 40-130 these days and of course, its an M5
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 01:43 AM   #16
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
No, I havent driven one yet. I hope I wont be disappointed.

Im not after 0-60 timea. More into 40-130 these days and of course, its an M5
I think the M5 is one of the kings of that acceleration bracket.

I did a dry road 30+ pull to enter a motorway with a Golf R trying to mate with my rear bumper. In that 30 to 70 (ahem) I was really suprised the extent to which the M5 left the golf standing. The R is a really quick car but inbetween RWD traction issues and speed limits the m5 is what you would hope.

Not that it matters but I don’t know how it would fare against very fast electric cars. My understanding is that most of them need special modes to be selected to do their full party trick, they are quick under ‘kickdown’ but you don’t get 100%. I’m sure there’s someone out there who knows. I give big Tesla’s and Taycans a wide berth.

My only criticism is that I spend most of my time with everything dialled down, where the car behaves like a subdued limo and it’s all pretty dull and economical. I can hardly blame the car for that.......

I always wanted one too. My only concern was that the car was a fragile liability, which I have found to be BS albeit with the caveat of not buying the thrashed lemon. At the minute it’s one of the cheapest cars I’ve ever run and I shouldn’t need to touch wood because I have the 80 quid pm warranty (that I often whinge about because I don’t get to use it).
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #17
Pedrosub
Rep

Well, think ive found one.
16 plate Singapore grey with 20k miles, running in service at 1100, then 11k then 18k.

Got a good trade in price of 20k so lools like ill be an M5 owner this time next.week
Appreciate 0