BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-13-2021, 12:56 AM   #1
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Ferris Bueller syndrome

I’m due an oils and GB oil change and MOT (a mandatory defect test) in aug.

A UK MOT generally means the main dealer needs to move your car to a testing station, and the car may need to be at temp to pass emissions .

I hate the idea dealer and workshop people are playing with my car and not following my warmup routine. It’s not paranoia, I’ve seen mechanics popping out for lunch in a customer V8 Esprit (famous main dealer), a friends tuned M3 accruing 12miles and rear tyres becoming scored, lots of other uncomfortable events.

I note my mileage and take a 360 video. They once unplugged my dash cam during a service. I’d like to separate the MOT so I control it, but as I’m under warranty it’s neater to let them address any emerging problem.

Do I sound like I have lost the plot?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:29 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

In Waddon BMW they do MOT in house and with lock down eased on 17th you should be ok to wait for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 06:42 AM   #3
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Not to make you feel even more paranoid, but there was a few cases where I live a few years ago (2005) where people had GPS equipment in their cars they used for track days that essentially logged everything.

An e30 M3 clocked 110mph during a "shop test drive", highest speed limit in the area is 55mph, and it was not done on that road.
Similar thing happened to a Subaru WRX at a different shop, speed was about the same.
The WRX case ended up in the local news and the 19year old apprentice got in a bit of trouble with management and lost his license for a few months.

Both cars saw a "test drive" much longer than around the block to check brakes and for noises.

I tend to have my equivalent to your MOT done at shops I trust, often I will take the car in and wait while they do the MOT, I see them drive off and they are typically back within 5 minutes.

I guess some cars are cars that the mechanics will never afford, so when they get to drive one they tend to "enjoy themselves" a little too much
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 07:36 AM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
Not to make you feel even more paranoid, but there was a few cases where I live a few years ago (2005) where people had GPS equipment in their cars they used for track days that essentially logged everything.

An e30 M3 clocked 110mph during a "shop test drive", highest speed limit in the area is 55mph, and it was not done on that road.
Similar thing happened to a Subaru WRX at a different shop, speed was about the same.
The WRX case ended up in the local news and the 19year old apprentice got in a bit of trouble with management and lost his license for a few months.

Both cars saw a "test drive" much longer than around the block to check brakes and for noises.

I tend to have my equivalent to your MOT done at shops I trust, often I will take the car in and wait while they do the MOT, I see them drive off and they are typically back within 5 minutes.

I guess some cars are cars that the mechanics will never afford, so when they get to drive one they tend to "enjoy themselves" a little too much
Over here if it's the yearly roadworthiness test then they don't test drive them on the road. I pay the full MOT price at BMW as with your MOT certificate you get a separate free of charge BMW safety list of how your brake linings, tyres etc are doing also a short vid of the inspection.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
some_idiot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 singapore gray M5

install a dash cam
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #6
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Over here if it's the yearly roadworthiness test then they don't test drive them on the road. I pay the full MOT price at BMW as with your MOT certificate you get a separate free of charge BMW safety list of how your brake linings, tyres etc are doing also a short vid of the inspection.
We have an inspection every two years (from the car is 4 years old).
They check brakes and brake balance, put the car on a ramp, check suspension and bushes, look for rust and structural damage, leaks, lights are working and in good order, do an emissions check etc etc.
And they do a short road test to verify the car don't misbehave on the road.

They also look for mod's, so if you have a lowered suspension, wheels/tires other than stock, exhaust systems etc they need to be in the cars papers or you may fail the inspection.

Pretty much any shop is certified to do these inspections, but only the government test centers can approve mod's and enter them into the cars papers.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0