M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
silvergreye46
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320d

E46 Air Con woes! Blowing hot air when car not moving

Hello!

I currently have a 2005 E46 320d Touring Sport that I got from a family member as a spare car. In honesty I wasn't expecting too much as it's covered over 170,000 miles, but it drives superbly and the engine seems great too.

Unfortunately there is a problem relating to the air con system and I will try and describe it below, obviously it's much more potent at the moment due to the very warm weather. It has the usual climate control panel etc.

Effectively there are 2 problems with it:

1. When the car is not moving - the fans blow out hot air, revving the car at idle doesn't help, but when you are actually driving along, the air is much colder. Could this be the electrical auxiliary fan? Or the fuse for it? I can't see the fan as it's behind the radiator on this particular car.

2. The lower fans on your feet always blow out warm air. You can turn them off but this seems to further lower the effectiveness of the air con itself, so it's best left on auto. This is a secondary issue to point 1 - it's not the end of the world.

I have a feeling that the main aux fan (if that's what it is) isn't working properly/at all when the car is sat idle, so the air con system heats up and ends up pumping warm air into the cabin.

Any thoughts? I have already replaced the climate control unit below the radio as someone suggested it could be that, and it works exactly the same - so it's not that. I'm not a mechanic but the car isn't worth much money so I want to try and see if I can get it sorted or at least find out what the problem is.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
Frozen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Frozen Red e92 ZCP

There is a little wheel/knob at the center vent. It can either be turned to red or blue. If it's on red it will always blow hot air. Did you check that thing?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #3
silvergreye46
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90m305 View Post
There is a little wheel/knob at the center vent. It can either be turned to red or blue. If it's on red it will always blow hot air. Did you check that thing?
Hi, yes, that is currently always set to blue, it's not that, but thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

sure about the level of ac gas in the system?
Appreciate 0