M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-17-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
dajonx
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Buying an out-of-warranty F10

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but...

Is it dumb to buy an older F10 that doesn't have any warranty?

This car would be kept for the long haul and be my DD. If you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate it if you shared it! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #2
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajonx View Post
Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but...

Is it dumb to buy an older F10 that doesn't have any warranty?

This car would be kept for the long haul and be my DD. If you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate it if you shared it! Thanks!
I have no warranty on my f10 and had it nearly 2 years and it's my daily driver. Maintenance is key. I change the oil on mine every 3-5k miles.

I have replaced my con rod bearings just for peace of mind. So far I've had no big issues. The only things I've had to do is replace the turbo coolant hoses due to a leak but these are a common problem and very cheaply fixed.

I must point out though that if you happen to have an issue with something like engine or transmission it's going to cost you mega money. The suspension parts are expensive too. Front arms are 400 each, I have a knocking on mine but haven't replaced the arm yet. They are not the same as 5 series so you cannot just replace with cheaper ones.

The f10 is a great car but costs quite a bit to run especially if daily driving it. I am not trying to put you off though, I absolutely love mine.
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      01-19-2020, 06:08 AM   #3
dajonx
Rep

Thank you for your reply!

It definitely looks like you know your way around a car whereas I do not. Like at all.

I don't suppose I could change the oil without lifting the car up?

Since I am looking at purchasing used, do you think I would need to replace the rod bearings? I guess all of the fluids should be replaced as well. Anything else? Definitely sounds like a good chunk of change will need to be invested after purchase.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Oil changes are very easy on this car, you dont even have to remove any covers. You could get away with driving the car up steel ramps and doing it that way.

The rod bearings appear to becoming more of an issue as the platform ages. Mine were actually ok when I removed them. Just make sure you get a car that has been service regularly, the running in service is a must.

I think the service interval on the I drive is nearly 20k miles and 2 years which is stupid. Some people just went by the cars reminder so ideally you want a car that has been serviced more than its intervals.

I changed my transmission oil and filters also. The rear diff oil should be changed every 2nd oil change but the fluid for this is very cheap.

The rod bearing replacement would be quite expensive but if you plan on keeping the car for a long time without warranty then might be an idea to have them replaced even if it's just for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #5
RaTeD ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2K13 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Oil changes are very easy on this car, you dont even have to remove any covers. You could get away with driving the car up steel ramps and doing it that way.

The rod bearings appear to becoming more of an issue as the platform ages. Mine were actually ok when I removed them. Just make sure you get a car that has been service regularly, the running in service is a must.

I think the service interval on the I drive is nearly 20k miles and 2 years which is stupid. Some people just went by the cars reminder so ideally you want a car that has been serviced more than its intervals.

I changed my transmission oil and filters also. The rear diff oil should be changed every 2nd oil change but the fluid for this is very cheap.

The rod bearing replacement would be quite expensive but if you plan on keeping the car for a long time without warranty then might be an idea to have them replaced even if it's just for peace of mind.
How do u know if u have a rod bearing issue or is just a matter of time?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTeD ///M View Post
How do u know if u have a rod bearing issue or is just a matter of time?
You could send a sample of oil off for analysis. I used to examine my oil filter and housing when I changed my oil, I still do but you might not always see anything.

I read somewhere that an oil analysis can not always show an issue as sometimes the materials are different to what they look for. not sure though.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2020, 03:59 PM   #7
Seattle996
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 6MT

Like @Dwaynos said, I had to take care of the coolant hoses as well. Super easy to replace, its up top on the engine. I did get cute and bought what I thought were better hoses and clamps elsewhere.. turned into an issue. Just get the factory hoses and factory blankets.

Otherwise.. I've had zero issues on my 2013 and its at about 60K miles now w/ BPM tune. Find the right car and dig into its service history. That will give you ease of mind. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #8
dajonx
Rep

Thank you for all of the advice!!

When I'm looking at a Carfax, what exactly should I be looking for? Is that the only way to look into its service history?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 02:47 PM   #9
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

When I'm looking at a Carfax, what exactly should I be looking for? Is that the only way to look into its service history?
I'd say so yes. The best thing you can do with these cars it's to over service them. As long as its services haven't been stretched out to their limit then you stand a decent chance of getting a good one.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
Seattle996
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 6MT

Quote:

Find where it was serviced and just call the dealership. Be nice on the phone and they usually will tell you what you need to know..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:14 AM   #11
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
You could send a sample of oil off for analysis. I used to examine my oil filter and housing when I changed my oil, I still do but you might not always see anything.

I read somewhere that an oil analysis can not always show an issue as sometimes the materials are different to what they look for. not sure though.
It could be true. Does anyone know what wear metals we should look for in oil samples analysis in the S63?

I used to own a S65 and it was as simple as looking for copper. But I also read that late in the model year, BMW changed the metal content of the bearings and you can no longer detect copper. This is the S65 mind you. But I haven't read anything on S63 analysis.

Ditto on coolant hoses, same thing happened to me.
Appreciate 0