Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-04-2020, 08:41 AM   #1
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Drivetrain Malfunction w/no DTC code?

About 25 minutes into a drive yesterday I went to hit the gas hard to go from ~45 to 60 when the speed limit changed and ended up with the not-so-fun "Drivetrain Malfunction, reduced power". Limped home, let it sit overnight on the battery charger. Fired it up this morning and still has the DTM, however, in the Error section of the "secret" menu I see no DTC codes. I do have a friend with a scanner I'll try, but why would there not be any codes listed here?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Friend's scanner did the trick. Cylinder 6 misfire. Guess I'll replace plugs and coils.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #3
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
Friend's scanner did the trick. Cylinder 6 misfire. Guess I'll replace plugs and coils.
Hopefully an easy fix, new plugs and coils and hopefully your good. GL!
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 05:09 PM   #4
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
Hopefully an easy fix, new plugs and coils and hopefully your good. GL!
Fingers crossed, but mechanic friend and I replaced the coil on #6 and everything seems to be good! Luckily with it being in that position, we didn't even have to deal with unplugging or moving the DME. Two hardest parts were that one terrible drivers-side intake bolt and getting the coil out, though once we put some twine through the hole in the top of the coil, that came out without much issue.

thanks to a couple posts on this thread for guiding us on what needed to be done.

edit: and of course as soon as I do the hard way with the 7 bolts I find out one can simply take the whole box out. doh.

Last edited by vafan13; 04-04-2020 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
Fast.F10512.50
      04-04-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
Fingers crossed, but mechanic friend and I replaced the coil on #6 and everything seems to be good! Luckily with it being in that position, we didn't even have to deal with unplugging or moving the DME. Two hardest parts were that one terrible drivers-side intake bolt and getting the coil out, though once we put some twine through the hole in the top of the coil, that came out without much issue.

thanks to a couple posts on this thread for guiding us on what needed to be done.
Congrats bud! glad it worked out.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0