M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-08-2020, 05:42 AM   #1
keefyb
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition pack

Oil - ACEA Specs

I did quite a lot of reading various forums regarding oil and when I needed a 1 litre top up, I opted for Shell Helix Ultra 0w 30 ECT as it was the only one I could find that was stated as being LL-04, and the consensus seemed to be LL-04 was the standard. However this oil is also stated as being specified as ACEA C3 and the manual states oil should be ACEA A3/B4, and also makes no mention of LL-04

Info I found (https://www.commaoil.com/bulletins/f...b2ad8f31eabf19) on the ACEA specifications states “ACEA specifications for passenger vehicles are split in two categories, those that are designed for conventional engines (such as ACEA A3/B4) and “catalyst friendly” specifications designed to protect engines fitted with exhaust after-treatment units (such as ACEA C3).”

And also “ACEA “C” classification products are Low SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur) engine oils specifically designed to protect Exhaust After-Treatment Units whilst ACEA “A/B” products are only suitable for conventional engines.”

However when you run Comma Oils search on their website it suggests their Syner-Z 5w-30, stating “Fully synthetic, high performance 5W-30 low SAPS oil for modern petrol and diesel vehicles including those fitted with exhaust after-treatment units that require an ACEA C3 grade.”

And the Shell lube finder also recommends the ECT oil to ACEA C3.

So my question is, why do Shell and Comma recommend ACEA C3 for the M5, but the BMW manual states ACEA A3/B4? There seems to be significant difference between the two specs, designed for different engines. So what is the right answer?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:36 AM   #2
umz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefyb View Post
I did quite a lot of reading various forums regarding oil and when I needed a 1 litre top up, I opted for Shell Helix Ultra 0w 30 ECT as it was the only one I could find that was stated as being LL-04, and the consensus seemed to be LL-04 was the standard. However this oil is also stated as being specified as ACEA C3 and the manual states oil should be ACEA A3/B4, and also makes no mention of LL-04

Info I found (https://www.commaoil.com/bulletins/f...b2ad8f31eabf19) on the ACEA specifications states “ACEA specifications for passenger vehicles are split in two categories, those that are designed for conventional engines (such as ACEA A3/B4) and “catalyst friendly” specifications designed to protect engines fitted with exhaust after-treatment units (such as ACEA C3).”

And also “ACEA “C” classification products are Low SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur) engine oils specifically designed to protect Exhaust After-Treatment Units whilst ACEA “A/B” products are only suitable for conventional engines.”

However when you run Comma Oils search on their website it suggests their Syner-Z 5w-30, stating “Fully synthetic, high performance 5W-30 low SAPS oil for modern petrol and diesel vehicles including those fitted with exhaust after-treatment units that require an ACEA C3 grade.”

And the Shell lube finder also recommends the ECT oil to ACEA C3.

So my question is, why do Shell and Comma recommend ACEA C3 for the M5, but the BMW manual states ACEA A3/B4? There seems to be significant difference between the two specs, designed for different engines. So what is the right answer?
Good question. I called BMW UK for further information around oil and they told me that the BMW manual states "ACEA A3/B4". I also called a BMW dealership and they told me that Shell oil is used. After a google search, I found shell oil (0W-30), however the ACEA stats did not match, which lead me to the same question you have.

I call another BMW dealership to try and get confirmation around the shell oil (Pictured below) and they confirmed it is the correct one...however i am not sure....the ACEA stats do not match from what is recommended in the manual. To be safe, I purchased BMW oil anyway as I required a top up, furthermore the oil from BMW is approx £20/ltr and the shell oil can be purchased around £12/ltr.

Can anyone confirm it is the same?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Edge 0W30 has acea C3 spec also and it's gone to LL 04 where previously it was LL 01.
Could be that the A3/B4 spec in the older handbook is now superseded by the newer spec referring to the 'specifically designed to protect exhaust-after treatment units'. The A3/B4 in the handbook being for 'conventional engines' is simply outdated by the newer specs.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #4
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

I paid £11 a litre from BMW so the dealer is taking the piss, ask for a better price
Appreciate 0