BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

The dreaded headlight condensation problem

Unbelievable how many water related problems a car which was 98k when new can have!

So I definitely have an excessive amount of condensation in my headlight and its not really clearing when driving with lights on. Lens has had a crack for a few years but the problem has only started in the last week...

Think this will hurt in terms of replacement headlight in my pocket because they will prob say the problem is the crack as opposed to anything else where I may be able to claim on warranty but I supposed I better do it before any of the modules behind the headlight get damaged

ANyone else have a similar problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 05:03 AM   #2
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbru View Post
Unbelievable how many water related problems a car which was 98k when new can have!

So I definitely have an excessive amount of condensation in my headlight and its not really clearing when driving with lights on. Lens has had a crack for a few years but the problem has only started in the last week...

Think this will hurt in terms of replacement headlight in my pocket because they will prob say the problem is the crack as opposed to anything else where I may be able to claim on warranty but I supposed I better do it before any of the modules behind the headlight get damaged

ANyone else have a similar problem?
I power washed the inner arch and got a bit of condensation in the headlight but it cleared, my car lives in the garage so its dry

Is your car outside as we have had a lot of rain over a long period which may have made the issue worse
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Ill admit and even with very little driving, the lights have improved but still looks pretty bad...Ill be going on a long drive this weekend to see if things improve however it is supposed to be raining.....a lot
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Take the xenon cap off the top of the headlamp and drive it around for a few dry days, if the codensation comes back after you dry it you have a leak, I had this on my F10 530d, ignored the issue and also killed the control unit, almost £1k to put right, thankfully got a contribution from BMw GB under extended warranty
Appreciate 0