M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

12-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
Yellow Jacket
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

DIY brake fluid change?

I searched but don't see any threads on a DIY for changing the brake fluid.

Is it the same as most cars? Bleed from each corner (with a buddy,wife or kid pumping the brake pedal for you or a power bleeder) until you get new clear fluid coming out. Going in order of longest to closest distance from the reservoir. Never letting the level in the reservoir get too low, so air isn't introduced into the system.

Or is there special steps with an F10? I don't want to get it up on stand and wheels pulled off to find out I need a special tool or there is a sensor to be replaced etc. that requires a trip to dealer or AutoZone to buy something.

Thanks in advance.
YJ
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
I searched but don't see any threads on a DIY for changing the brake fluid.

Is it the same as most cars? Bleed from each corner (with a buddy,wife or kid pumping the brake pedal for you or a power bleeder) until you get new clear fluid coming out. Going in order of longest to closest distance from the reservoir. Never letting the level in the reservoir get too low, so air isn't introduced into the system.

Or is there special steps with an F10? I don't want to get it up on stand and wheels pulled off to find out I need a special tool or there is a sensor to be replaced etc. that requires a trip to dealer or AutoZone to buy something.

Thanks in advance.
YJ
For a basic flush, I THINK the old tried and true still holds. I was about to look into this myself as I'd like to change mine for ATE Blue. I know there are a bunch of systems that use brake fluid on these cars, so a full flush will require ISTA or INPA to activate various systems. Regarding what order you do each wheel in... that doesn't matter on these newer vehicles because they all have dedicated lines. This is even true on older cars like my e39 with a more basic DSC system. Each wheel has it's own line coming from the DSC/ABS module under the hood.

Good luck and report back with your findings please!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #3
Yellow Jacket
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

I talked to a BMW tech whom I trust a great deal and he said the old fashioned way would take forever. He recommended getting a minivac with the BMW sized adaptor if I just had to do it myself, but said for the ~$200 that would cost it didn’t make a lot of sense for a job you’ll do ever two years. I’m going to hit the easy button and have my Indy do it.

I haven’t heard of ATE Blue. Need to go google it. What are your reasons for using it?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 10:41 PM   #4
CarduM3
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

Just a helpful tip. I would use a syringe and take out as much as you can from the reservoir first, speeds up the process. Then start at the driver front wheel to get the old brake fluid out as quickly as possible. The idea of using blue brake fluid from a previous post is to visually verify new fluid is coming through.
Appreciate 0