BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 GT3 Shark, ex E92 M3 ZCP

California Exhaust Law

It is illegal to have any modified exhaust and stock exhaust louder than 95dB in California now!

http://www.thedrive.com/news/25799/c...ine-you-for-it

Please sign petition for all us Californians!!!

https://www.change.org/p/nullify-fin...4105273-1%3Av2
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep

AB 1824 -- Fine for loud vehicle exhausts

Drivers in a vehicle or motorcycle with an excessively loud exhaust will be fined. Previously, they would have been cited with a “fix-it” ticket.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Damn that sucks, how do you guys do it over there. I know the scenery, beaches landscapes etc are beautiful but damn. Feel bad for you guys.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      01-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
///M ARMY
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90

the petition is not going to do anything unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
Ickdeep5718.50
      01-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
irishbimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: Silverstone M6 CP, Bulldozer,

Quite frankly, I heard a kid in a mustang gt recently all blacked out start up his motor near a gas station and it was so loud that it made me jump. That's a little too loud-if not pumping gas, I'd have love to have smoked his ass just to show him loud isn't fast.. Some are too loud, and living by a main road can reduce home prices...Maybe its about disturbing the peace...My comp exhaust seems about right but I am getting older. No mufflers-straight pipes seems unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #6
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbimmer View Post
Quite frankly, I heard a kid in a mustang gt recently all blacked out start up his motor near a gas station and it was so loud that it made me jump. That's a little too loud-if not pumping gas, I'd have love to have smoked his ass just to show him loud isn't fast.. Some are too loud, and living by a main road can reduce home prices...Maybe its about disturbing the peace...My comp exhaust seems about right but I am getting older. No mufflers-straight pipes seems unnecessary.
But my v10 and Eisenmann Race needs to be unleashed once in a while
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 12:57 AM   #7
mrtt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46/E60/E92/F10/E55

It's a $1k fine + state ref which is one person you do not want to see EVER. It's because of idiotic street take overs doing stupid a$$ stunts and street racing
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:17 AM   #8
werdn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtt View Post
It's a $1k fine + state ref which is one person you do not want to see EVER. It's because of idiotic street take overs doing stupid a$$ stunts and street racing
Lol what is the state ref like? Is he like a judge?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 05:08 AM   #9
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Something like that was occurring here;A long street used regularly for power shows and races had humps built on to it because a biker was killed when his stunt went wrong and before that a watcher was seriously injured when an Impreza went out of control but they'll have to take them down soon as the Environment Secretary had advised councils to remove them because of increased level of pollution (vehicles slowing down then accelerating).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:42 PM   #10
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Finally it's about time. California has large population and vehicular traffic. It's just not fair to create unnecessary noise pollution. I don't think anyone gets stopped for a non-safety fix-it-ticket, the police are too busy. But with $1000 to be made for each loud exhaust ticket under the new law, police might be motivated to actually enforce it. This should have been done a long time ago.

And bikes are the worst offenders. A single rider vehicle with no carrying capacity makes more noise than large trucks or people movers. That isn't right.

There will inevitably be comments about how everyone should be able to do whatever they want. Well, in terms of driving, remember that's a regulated activity. After all, you have to have a license to drive, and you have to have a registration for the vehicle. Race cars are "off-road use" vehicles that aren't supposed to be driven on the street. If a street car is made into a race car, then it should no longer be driven on the street...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 01:27 AM   #11
mrtt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdn View Post
Lol what is the state ref like? Is he like a judge?
in extreme cases, he/she can make sure you will not be able to register your vehicle in CA
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 01:32 AM   #12
mrtt
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
Finally it's about time. California has large population and vehicular traffic. It's just not fair to create unnecessary noise pollution. I don't think anyone gets stopped for a non-safety fix-it-ticket, the police are too busy. But with $1000 to be made for each loud exhaust ticket under the new law, police might be motivated to actually enforce it. This should have been done a long time ago.

And bikes are the worst offenders. A single rider vehicle with no carrying capacity makes more noise than large trucks or people movers. That isn't right.

There will inevitably be comments about how everyone should be able to do whatever they want. Well, in terms of driving, remember that's a regulated activity. After all, you have to have a license to drive, and you have to have a registration for the vehicle. Race cars are "off-road use" vehicles that aren't supposed to be driven on the street. If a street car is made into a race car, then it should no longer be driven on the street...
well I don't know if you ever rode bikes but I wanted to make sure people heard me coming near them. Many times, drivers would jerk back to their lane when they heard the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:59 AM   #13
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
well I don't know if you ever rode bikes but I wanted to make sure people heard me coming near them. Many times, drivers would jerk back to their lane when they heard the exhaust.
You may have a point there,if people can't hear you coming a few have a tendency to pull into your lane without looking or even signalling.
Appreciate 0