BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

02-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #23
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I did a little investigation with my own car and found the dimming feature of the side mirrors take about 3x as long as the interior mirror.

Side view mirror recovery takes about the same amount of time as the interior mirror... about 10sec.

The side mirrors dim but it happens so slowly that (as the driver) you will likely change speed or lane to avoid the glare.

Here is a little video to verify the side mirror's dim but with 3x the duration:

02-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #24
Tourbillon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 S550, '13 4S, '11 E550

I'm guessing that no one else really seems to have this problem? This happened to me again last night. Whenever there is a truck or suv behind my car, their headlights blind me from both side mirrors, with the driver side being worse. It feels like someone point a flash light directly into my eye a few inches away. This is even with 25% tint on the front windows.

This is absolutely unbearable.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #25
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I've considered the buying wide angle mirrors (European source) to replace my side mirrors. The only problem is I don't know if the lack of dimming is a hardware or software issue. If it is a hardware issue a few hundred bucks and European mirrors will work. If it is a software issue replacement mirrors will be a waste of money. DOH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourbillon View Post
I'm guessing that no one else really seems to have this problem? This happened to me again last night. Whenever there is a truck or suv behind my car, their headlights blind me from both side mirrors, with the driver side being worse. It feels like someone point a flash light directly into my eye a few inches away. This is even with 25% tint on the front windows.

This is absolutely unbearable.
      02-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #26
Marco28nl
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Same problem here in the netherlands. Inside mirror works fine but outside mirrors don't dim at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #27
hsiaochinsan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M / 991 Turbo S / Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco28nl View Post
Same problem here in the netherlands. Inside mirror works fine but outside mirrors don't dim at all.
oh no...even euro one has the same issues...
      02-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #28
Marco28nl
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Unfortunately yes At first i thought i forgot to take this option....
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #29
Carbon.F30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335xi (M-Sport)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsiaochinsan View Post
Any one experiences the same thing? My rear view mirror dims perfectly in night time driving. The exterior side mirrors, however, doesn't seem to dim or dim very little in night time driving.

I may ask my SA about this in break in service due in 10 days.

...I'd love to hear others input. What I'm going to do is I'm going to go outside in the dark tomorrow and shine a flashlight in the sensor to see if I can force them to dim."
Hey, I've been experiencing this issue with my 2014 335xi where it seems like it's not dimming. Apparently when I asked my SA and looked in the OM the car uses the sensor from your rear view mirror to dim the sides as well. I tested it by pointing a flashlight directly at the sensor in the rearview mirror (At night). When I did that, SUCCESS: the mirrors did in fact dim normally. HOWEVER since I have a tint, they don't work well when there is a giant truck behind me, also at times the exterior mirrors dim slower than the rearview which kind of sucks but anyway, they dimmed with the rearview (no delay) when I tested them. Hope that helps!

P.S. Make sure you turn your headlights on, this way the light sensor will be on for sure.

Last edited by Carbon.F30; 06-19-2016 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 01:25 AM   #30
Truby
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Saloon F10 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protious View Post
I've noticed this as well, went from a 535i to a M5.. The side mirrors do not dim AT ALL, thought it was just me..
Has anyone had a problem with wing mirrors not dimming after having window tints installed? I'm wondering if there's a way of adjusting the sensor or something
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 05:37 AM   #31
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truby View Post
Quote:
I've noticed this as well, went from a 535i to a M5.. The side mirrors do not dim AT ALL, thought it was just me..
Has anyone had a problem with wing mirrors not dimming after having window tints installed? I'm wondering if there's a way of adjusting the sensor or something
You can change it through coding. But with my windows tinted I actually turned off my mirror dimming because it would be too dark with the tint and the dimmed mirrors at night.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 02:53 AM   #32
Truby
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Saloon F10 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truby View Post
Quote:
You can change it through coding. But with my windows tinted I actually turned off my mirror dimming because it would be too dark with the tint and the dimmed mirrors at night.
Nice on for the reply. Do you have any info on how to do this mate?
Appreciate 0