M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-04-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
phillyd
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 6MT

Soul Performance axle back exhaust

I saw a post from Soul Performance Products on this site some weeks back promoting their new axle back exhaust system for the F10 M5. It's a straight pipe system like the Turner but has resonators built into the pipes just before the Y-split, to get rid of low RPM drone. This set up intrigues me, as does the low price.

Has anyone here tried out this system yet? Thoughts/opinions?
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd View Post
I just installed the Soul system and with decent weather have been able to drive with it in the last days. It's well built, with good clamps for the tips as well as the attachment of their exhaust into the stock system after cutting. The rubber plug they supply for the vacuum line to the exhaust flaps is poor, however. A small point and easily remedied with a little thinking for a better solution.

I'm pleased with the sound of it, both on acceleration and high rpm deceleration. The one spot that isn't to my liking is around town with trailing throttle at low rpm deceleration. There is drone in this situation, but with a downshift it is mostly defeated. Soul didn't list their black tips as an option for the M5, but were able to provide flat black tips for me at my request.

There's no drone at any point while at steady throttle on the freeway, from 1500 to 4000 rpm. Overall I'm very happy with it, and being able to hear the rpm changes in the cabin, the very quiet cabin, helps me with shift points even though I do have the HUD.
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #3
Soul Performance Products
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / 987.2 Cayman S

Thank you Used2be for the Kind words on the quality of our system! Just wanted to note we have since addressed the issues with the vacuum plugs and are now including laboratory grade hose plugs.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I saw a post from Soul Performance Products on this site some weeks back promoting their new axle back exhaust system for the F10 M5. It's a straight pipe system like the Turner but has resonators built into the pipes just before the Y-split, to get rid of low RPM drone. This set up intrigues me, as does the low price.

We would love to set you up with a system for your M5. If you have any questions my direct email is John@soulpp.com.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #5
phillyd
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I just installed the Soul system and with decent weather have been able to drive with it in the last days. It's well built, with good clamps for the tips as well as the attachment of their exhaust into the stock system after cutting. The rubber plug they supply for the vacuum line to the exhaust flaps is poor, however. A small point and easily remedied with a little thinking for a better solution.

I'm pleased with the sound of it, both on acceleration and high rpm deceleration. The one spot that isn't to my liking is around town with trailing throttle at low rpm deceleration. There is drone in this situation, but with a downshift it is mostly defeated. Soul didn't list their black tips as an option for the M5, but were able to provide flat black tips for me at my request.

There's no drone at any point while at steady throttle on the freeway, from 1500 to 4000 rpm. Overall I'm very happy with it, and being able to hear the rpm changes in the cabin, the very quiet cabin, helps me with shift points even though I do have the HUD.
Used2be, thanks for the comments. Can you describe the sound a little more? What does it sound like at low RPM around town, higher RPM under acceleration, etc.? I've watched more exhaust videos than I can remember over the past few months and I think there is a big gap between hearing in person and listening via computer speakers. I'd imagine these might be comparable to Turner muffler deletes, but more subdued and significantly less droney.

Is the drone on low RPM deceleration loud enough to bother you? Have you considered disabling ASD to see if that makes a difference?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Used2be, thanks for the comments. Can you describe the sound a little more?

Is the drone on low RPM deceleration loud enough to bother you? Have you considered disabling ASD to see if that makes a difference?
I don't think my description of the sound would be any more reliable than your computer speakers, it's so subjective to the listener. My loud might be your quiet.

The drone is a bother to me, hence the downshift to ameliorate it. As to the ASD, I've followed that over the years and saw no need to disable, but I might try it now. I'm still not clear on whether disabling it affects my standard HK sound system, or the BO version? I'll research the posts on that and decide whether it's a fuse I pull or some wires to the components on the left side of the trunk.

Oh, I should mention I have removed the cats from the stock DPs and have a flash tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
apexlocator
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post

Oh, I should mention I have removed the cats from the stock DPs and have a flash tune.
No cats makes a BIG difference in sound with a muffler delete exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #8
phillyd
Rep

Catless DPs will make a difference but will they contribute anything to drone? My understanding is drone has more to do with the design of the midpipes and rear section, rather than the downpipes.

Used2be, getting rid of ASD might help get rid of the bit of drone you're having. There are threads on this site about how to do that (pull the wires, or have it coded out). It shouldn't do anything to your sound system.

As for sound description I was referring more to quality, rather than loudness. I came from an AMG before my M5 and that car sounded like a distant thundercloud when cruising around town and roared when you put your foot down. I'd love to recreate a bit of that menacing rumble.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #9
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Used2be, getting rid of ASD might help get rid of the bit of drone you're having. There are threads on this site about how to do that (pull the wires, or have it coded out). It shouldn't do anything to your sound system.

As for sound description I was referring more to quality, rather than loudness. I came from an AMG before my M5 and that car sounded like a distant thundercloud when cruising around town and roared when you put your foot down. I'd love to recreate a bit of that menacing rumble.
You spurred me into action and I took apart the trunk to access the ASD module and unplugged it. I'm surprised at how much difference it made in the drone I was complaining of. The drone is still there in a very small rpm range (1400 to 1600), but much reduced in volume. And that's still only in low throttle, decelerating conditions.

I have the cold start turned off with the flash tune, but that deep quality you like is there at start up. I like the sound of it now, but I don't think it's quite the deep roar you get from AMG when accelerating.

I like the fact that it wouldn't be difficult to swap the stock mufflers back in. Once you've cut the exhaust pipe, the Soul clamp will serve to attach the stock muffler as well.
Appreciate 2
      03-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #10
phillyd
Rep

Wow, that was quick. Thanks! That's useful information.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2018, 10:15 PM   #11
sw1183
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M6

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Wow, that was quick. Thanks! That's useful information.
Do you have a picture of your flat black tips?

Is this available for the f12 M6 Soul?

HCP e85 tune, VRSF DP, BMW CAI
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #12
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1183 View Post

Here's a picture of the flat black tips on my M5. They're very basic and a bit industrial, but since I'd painted my diffuser black they fit into the look. I don't know what's available from Soul, check out their web site.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
sw118334.00
      03-06-2018, 01:51 PM   #13
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1183 View Post

We have not tested the system on the M6. We have a car lined up for installation/fit check but have been delayed by our Mclaren and R8 development.
Appreciate 1
sw118334.00
      03-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #14
Banned
United_States
Rep

Mike in Marketing here - we've started prepping to offer satin black tips for our M5 / upcoming M6 exhaust! They should be ready to go in a month or less.

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 04:47 AM   #15
yeah_knee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Quote:

Just picked one up and I'm beyond satisfied. The sound is sick, no drone, and can't beat the price. Highly recommended
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #16
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah_knee View Post
Just picked one up and I'm beyond satisfied. The sound is sick, no drone, and can't beat the price. Highly recommended
Seconded - been waiting for a break in the rain (which isn't going to happen anytime soon) to post some pics and a review.

I'm very happy. Cold start is VERY loud. Its not too loud for me, its not even too loud for my wife, but I'm worried my neighbors are going to get annoyed since I leave before the house before it gets light out.
2008 E92 M3 DCT (RIP) - Jet Black.Black.Carbon
Dinan, Wheels & Accessories for Sale
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #17
TheHouseWon
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvor View Post
Seconded - been waiting for a break in the rain (which isn't going to happen anytime soon) to post some pics and a review.

I'm very happy. Cold start is VERY loud. Its not too loud for me, its not even too loud for my wife, but I'm worried my neighbors are going to get annoyed since I leave before the house before it gets light out.
Get it flashed, cold start delete is an ancillary benefit
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 09:37 AM   #18
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah_knee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilvor View Post

Thank you both for choosing us - we're glad you are happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
This! The cold start is primarily to light off the catalytic converters/ emissions purposes. We have a lot of customers who incorporate a cold start delete into their tunes for various cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 12:53 PM   #19
xsilvor
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHouseWon View Post
That's the plan!
2008 E92 M3 DCT (RIP) - Jet Black.Black.Carbon