M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

12-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Spotify override by Itunes

I'm having an issue with Spotify on an Iphone 5s - When I start playing a spotify track it will play for maybe a second, and then fade out and an itunes track will start playing in its place. When I try to restart the spotify track, same thing happens. After awhile the issue will resolve itself, but will come up again later. This happens when connected via USB or BT.

Has anyone else experienced this? I had the same issue on my 2013 with Spotify and Pandora (Iphone 4s at the time) for awhile but it resolved itself and did not come back.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
v12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

So the music playback from the phone's music collection (iTunes as you referred to it) starts automatically as soon as to plug it in or connect?

It would make sense that the native apps would take precedence over "third-party" apps but there must be a way for apps developers to claim and retain control of the audio.

What happens if you pause iTunes on the phone before going back into Spotify and resuming the playback?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
CFisher
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisratz View Post
I'm having an issue with Spotify on an Iphone 5s - When I start playing a spotify track it will play for maybe a second, and then fade out and an itunes track will start playing in its place. When I try to restart the spotify track, same thing happens. After awhile the issue will resolve itself, but will come up again later. This happens when connected via USB or BT.

Has anyone else experienced this? I had the same issue on my 2013 with Spotify and Pandora (Iphone 4s at the time) for awhile but it resolved itself and did not come back.
Shoot...this has happened to me...and it was frustrating. Something ended up getting confused when I switched between USB and BT and Spotify would play just as you describe. I unfortunately don't remember if it was as simple as re-selecting "audio" within the BT Connections...or if it was pressing the "Radio" button...it was something like that.

Sorry for the vague answer...but at least you know its not a fluke - you can make it go away but I just can't experiment at the moment!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

It happens to me to with the Sirius XM app. Two ways Ive fixed it: Going in and killing both the app I want and the itunes app in the iOS then relaunching the app I want. If that doesnt work, I disconnect BT from the car, then reconnect it while the app I want is playing. I agree this is frustrating.
      12-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
What happens if you pause iTunes on the phone before going back into Spotify and resuming the playback?
I don't think I've tried this yet, I have only tried killing the ipod app. But its worth a shot.

Last edited by emmfive; 12-02-2013 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFisher View Post
Shoot...this has happened to me...and it was frustrating. Something ended up getting confused when I switched between USB and BT and Spotify would play just as you describe. I unfortunately don't remember if it was as simple as re-selecting "audio" within the BT Connections...or if it was pressing the "Radio" button...it was something like that.

Sorry for the vague answer...but at least you know its not a fluke - you can make it go away but I just can't experiment at the moment!
Good to know its not just me. I also think it has something to do with going between USB and BT, but I can't identify a pattern yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
It happens to me to with the Sirius XM app. Two ways Ive fixed it: Going in and killing both the app I want and the itunes app in the iOS then relaunching the app I want. If that doesnt work, I disconnect BT from the car, then reconnect it while the app I want is playing. I agree this is frustrating.
I have tried killing just the ipod app, but the sucker re-opens and resumes playback. I haven't tried killing both apps, I'll give that a shot. I will also try the BT disconnect/reconnect if necessary. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

I am still running latest build of iOS 6 in my M5's iPhone. No issues.

Using iOS 7 on the iPhone I carry with me. I use it from time to time for BT audio.

Must be a iOS 7 glitch.
      12-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
I have iPhone 5 with iOS 7. I had same problem. Easy fix is to NOT plug it into the USB hard wired cable. Stream spotify over Bluetooth, period. It works flawlessly.

If iTunes does launch over BT just switch on the phone to spotify and launch your song or playlist. You can page up or down through the playlists from the steering wheel controls. Sound quality is good. Turn your phone volume up to full less two or three dashes then control volume from the car after that. The phone volume does affect the BT output gain
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #10
shahano
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21' M2C 6spd ,11' 1M, 88' M3

Just open spotify and press play again. It should work.
Appreciate 0