BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Laser Protection

So, I have a Laser Interceptor on my M3 for 3 plus years and swear by it; I have lost count of the amount of times it has saved me.

So, about 3 weeks ago I installed one on my M5; it's always interesting after you install it as there is no way to test it.

Well, this weekend I drove down to Austin to go to the GrandAm race! On the way home, I got hit with just south of Temple and it works. Watching the officer looking at his "gun" is priceless. If you don't have one, GET one!

Anyway, just wanted to share......

p.s. the Turner Motorsport M3's had an awesome weekend! Congrats
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokke View Post
So, I have a Laser Interceptor on my M3 for 3 plus years and swear by it; I have lost count of the amount of times it has saved me. On the way home, I got hit with just south of Temple and it works. Watching the officer looking at his "gun" is priceless. If you don't have one, GET one!
I have no experience with either radar detectors or Laser Interceptors, but from what little I've read about the Laser blockers, would the officer have cause to chase you and pull you over to see if you had a Laser blocking device on your car after the 'no read' on his gun? Is that justified probable cause? And if it is, and he wanted to be nasty, could he impound the car?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
Bokke
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I have no experience with either radar detectors or Laser Interceptors, but from what little I've read about the Laser blockers, would the officer have cause to chase you and pull you over to see if you had a Laser blocking device on your car after the 'no read' on his gun? Is that justified probable cause? And if it is, and he wanted to be nasty, could he impound the car?
In reasonably heavy traffic & three lanes he just reloaded and took a shot at another car. Safety in numbers.

If I was the only car on the road it might have been different.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
jpan08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e92 M3, Triumph 675

Thanks
Been hesitant about getting one. Is self install pretty straight forward?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
polly
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 m3

Here in SA the cops are getting funny with guys that have laser jammers fitted i had them in all my vehicles but will not install on the M5. I have read were they have ripped it off some cars and damaged the vehicle. Most of the time they nice guys and u can ask for an apology. I rather go that route
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6-Spd Manual MCB M5

Are the integrated Radar/Laser Detectors such as the passport 9500ix and its equivalent Beltronic twin sufficient to provide ample warnings? Personally, I only want to get warnings rather than jam police signals.
      03-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybimmerfan
Are the integrated Radar/Laser Detectors such as the passport 9500ix and its equivalent Beltronic twin sufficient to provide ample warnings? Personally, I only want to get warnings rather than jam police signals.
Radar yes. Laser no.

My laser interceptor has already paid for itself. Love it.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Bokke, what laser interceptor are you running? Luckily I haven't been lasered yet (Knock on wood). My V1 does the job mostly but i definitely think I may need to invest in the Jammer sooner or later.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #9
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar View Post
Bokke, what laser interceptor are you running? Luckily I haven't been lasered yet (Knock on wood). My V1 does the job mostly but i definitely think I may need to invest in the Jammer sooner or later.
There's been a long discussion on radar/laser setups at
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754184
I personally use the K40 setup as I like the stealth/OEM look and feel (and happy
to sacrifice some "coverage" for it)
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=776392

You can supplement the V1 setup with a Laser Interceptor
http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
This is whats happening here in the UK, the police are "Wise" to these and come down real hard those found to be using them.
I took mine off just in case I got caught. be warned.
      03-05-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
This is whats happening here in the UK, the police are "Wise" to these and come down real hard those found to be using them.
I took mine off just in case I got caught. be warned.
In some States (and in Canada) it is illegal to even have one not just using them. Most cops in most States (and Canada) are aware of "supposedly" inconspicuous radar detectors/laser interceptors. I have a friend who had his custom installed radar detector/laser interceptor confiscated, with the cops pulling off the installed laser sensors from his car front and rear, central unit in the driver compartment, etc. plus a fine. Some minor (cosmetic) damage was inflicted to the car due to the confiscation. That is why I'd rather have one that is only dashboard mounted and not almost permanently (custom) installed. Could you imagine what sort of damage just pulling off those custom installed units will do?
      03-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Ditto the OP. I cannot begin to tell you how many ties it has paid for itself. I run the Laser Interceptor HP Quads on the front and Quad on the rear. Literally EVERY weekend the same cop tries to get me on my way to my kid's hockey game. My son and I laugh out loud "JAMMED!".

When I had the unit on my E60 I found a local guy with 5 of the most popular guns and we took mine out on a very long strip of pavement and tested it. He shot my car coming towards him in the headlights (most reflective spot where cops usually aim)and other areas on the front of the car and in the rear on the license plate, rear view mirrors and bumper. The result: Jam to Gun on every single one of them. Most saw no errors codes (in other words, the laser guns did not show the cop that they were being jammed. They simply could not lock). The ONLY gun that got a read on me when coming at him was the Stalker II and it only got me when I was literally 20 feet from the cop, a spot at which in real life I basically would have already slowed to a crawl.

One of the BEST investments I have ever made. Laser detectors do you zero good. They are simply letting you know that you have been hit. They don;t pick up "splash" like with radar. Once you are hit with Laser it is too late. The Laser Intereptor is truly a remarkable product. Not cheap but like I said, mine has paid for itself many times over by now.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
Bokke
Major
Rep

^^^ Well said!

Using the same unit, I am only running on the front with a dual head.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
nybimmerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Ditto the OP. I cannot begin to tell you how many ties it has paid for itself. I run the Laser Interceptor HP Quads on the front and Quad on the rear. Literally EVERY weekend the same cop tries to get me on my way to my kid's hockey game. My son and I laugh out loud "JAMMED!".
You're lucky that you are in a State where using/owning one is not illegal. I see that you are adjacent to SC where radar/laser devices are illegal -- that is where my friend got caught and had his custom installed radar/laser devices confiscated in addition to the fine.

I sometimes travel to States and Quebec, Canada where even owning those devices are illegal. I would really love to have the custom devices installed but I do have reservations.
      03-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Tylerstar
Captain
Rep
Drives: Straight Piped F10 M5, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
I personally use the K40 setup as I like the stealth/OEM look and feel (and happy

Thanks for the chart, it seems like everyones mostly running K40. Nice to see a wide variety of jammers so I can decide.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post

Thanks for the chart, it seems like everyones mostly running K40. Nice to see a wide variety of jammers so I can decide.
K40s are not great. And I would contend my install is close to OEM look and much more functional, and has advantage of not having to remove and drill holes in the instrument cluster.

If you consult most experts who have tested multiple systems they would tell you to go for the Bel Stir+ and the Laser interceptor.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokke
So, I have a Laser Interceptor on my M3 for 3 plus years and swear by it; I have lost count of the amount of times it has saved me.

So, about 3 weeks ago I installed one on my M5; it's always interesting after you install it as there is no way to test it.

Well, this weekend I drove down to Austin to go to the GrandAm race! On the way home, I got hit with just south of Temple and it works. Watching the officer looking at his "gun" is priceless. If you don't have one, GET one!

Anyway, just wanted to share......

p.s. the Turner Motorsport M3's had an awesome weekend! Congrats
You can test it if you have a lidar gun. I have the same gun used by my local department.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #18
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

My stir plus LI install is totally invisible in the cockpit. No dash holes. Display in mirror. Controls in ashtray.

Works great! Unless you are a smoker!
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #19
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
My stir plus LI install is totally invisible in the cockpit. No dash holes. Display in mirror. Controls in ashtray.

Works great! Unless you are a smoker!
Mine is invisible too. Same setup: Bel STiR PLUS and Laser Interceptor. Display in mirror and controls hidden in compartment to left of steering wheel. Had them in the ashtray of the E60 but never really used controls much. When I do I intuitively can use them in the compartment. Completely stealth.

As stated in another post, you cannot beat the setup we have. The Stir PLUS is unreal just like the LI. Pretty much got us covered!

Last edited by ColdList; 03-05-2013 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList View Post
Display in mirror and controls hidden in compartment to left of steering wheel.
Coldlist, anyway you can post a couple pics of this to get an idea what this looks like in that compartment and the mirror?

The Bel STiR PLUS and Quad Laser Interceptor setup is near top of my must haves, but haven't decided where i might like it inside the cockpit.
      03-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #21
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-1 Pilot View Post
Coldlist, anyway you can post a couple pics of this to get an idea what this looks like in that compartment and the mirror?

The Bel STiR PLUS and Quad Laser Interceptor setup is near top of my must haves, but haven't decided where i might like it inside the cockpit.
Sure, but you honestly can't see it at all in that compartment. I do not use the controls. Once it is initially set I just keep it on. There are RARE occasions when I might reach in and flip the switch to turn the LI off but with the STiR PLUS the auto settings are darn near perfect and I rarely mark anything because it auto-filters out the false warnings. When I need to I can still easily identify the correct buttons by touch.

The mirror looks absolutely OEM except that you can see the display reading through the top right corner. They etched the back of the glass and it reads very clearly without the etching really being visible at all. Ultra-professional job. I will get some pics.

I also had them install the tiny led in the crease between the dashboard and the front pillar so that I would have an extra something to catch my eye if the radio is too loud and I don;t look in the mirror. It is visible but very tiny and not anything that at all stands out.

It really is the perfect setup. I cannot imagine any other compo. I did a lot of research before buying (like any mod it became a crazy obsession) . It cost quite a bit more than most of the others but like I said it has paid for itself easily many times over.

I will get some pics tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #22
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep

I know this is a very bad picture of the control unit but I cannot get a good shot looking into the compartment. Both the Bel control unit and the LI switch are mounted right to the top of the inside of the compartment so that I can reach right in and operate them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0