M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

09-21-2022, 10:10 PM   #1
bluemagnet
Private
Rep
Drives: x1 f48 2016

i can't figure it out

X1 2016 (F46)

I know I am in the wrong forum but the X1 side is less technical and doesn't seem to be able to help. I figured this forum is quite a bit more knowledgeable in regard to the engine.

It all began after having my RaceChip and CAI for two years without issue. I am not sure if it is related to the present problem but I had since discontinued their use for the past year going back to stock. I began to have two engine codes consistently showing up despite clearing them under BimmerLink: (102002) "Air mass, plausibility: air mass too low" and (121201) "Boost pressure sensor, plausibility, overrun: pressure too high" about a year ago. Engine performance and MPG were unaffected. The approximate timelines:

Discontinued RaceChip and CAI-->
Engine codes kept showing up-->
Replaced Bosch MAF, MAP, and TMAP-->
Significant improvement in responsiveness
but engine codes kept showing-->
Began to have "Drivetrain malfunction" error w/ noted
reduction in engine performance that often was temporary but
then became more persistent
(MPG remained unaffected as far asI could tell)-->
Finally took to a respectable European shop that diagnosed
two problems: intercooler w/ a leak due to a puncture at the
front and bad Fuel Tank Breather Valve. They denied issue w/
intercooler hose and Breather Valve lines-->
I replaced the intercooler (off-brand Nissens) that I fully inspected to be in great shape and Breather Valve (Bosch)-->
Engine codes went away for three weeks-->
Engine codes comes back with Drivetrain malfunction with a reduction
in engine performance, no lost of MPG, and more additional errors than I know what to do with!

(Ignore the Exhaust Flap Actuator code as I had zip tied the valve on the right exhaust three years ago)

Can you please shed a light on what the problem is? Is it a bad line into some of the sensors? Defective replacement parts? Bad Intercooler hose? Bad breather valve line? Bad turbo?

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 06:21 AM   #2
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M6GC

When do you get this "Drivetrain malfunction" idle, full throttle, partial throttle?

My guess is your EWG or you have installed the race chip again and the issue reoccurred.

Last edited by M6Roar; 09-22-2022 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 07:44 AM   #3
bluemagnet
Private
Rep

Nope haven’t re installed racechip. Wastegate? Wouldn’t I see a reduction in fuel economy? I been consistent at 27-30mpg.
Engine code comes back in any spectrum of the driving either at idle, partial or full throttle. Last time I was at a stopped.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 10:15 AM   #4
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That is just my guess. Logically speaking if the EWG couldnt regulate the pressure correctly you MAP sensor will signal over pressure in return you DME or DDE will signal the pressure control to enter emergency mode as a result your EWG will remain open to avoid overboost and damage your engine and finally you will get the air mass too low error. I hope it made sense
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 10:18 AM   #5
M6Roar
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Charging pressure actuator.pdf

I hope your issue is resolved, thats all the help I can provide since you are in the wrong forum

Last edited by M6Roar; 09-22-2022 at 10:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 02:39 PM   #6
bluemagnet
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6Roar View Post
That is just my guess. Logically speaking if the EWG couldnt regulate the pressure correctly you MAP sensor will signal over pressure in return you DME or DDE will signal the pressure control to enter emergency mode as a result your EWG will remain open to avoid overboost and damage your engine and finally you will get the air mass too low error. I hope it made sense
It makes sense. The pdf you attached made it sound that this actuator is not replaceable.
Appreciate 0