M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-20-2022, 04:16 PM   #1
lasd000
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 2012 (F10)

Blue puff after accelerating - error code 118011

Name:  Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 5.13.26 PM.png
Views: 218
Size:  775.6 KBHi all!

So I've been looking to buy a 2012 MY13 F10 M5 with 60,000kms (roughly 38k mi), took it to have a PPI and they found two fault codes that are persistent:

*Please bare with me since I'm translating from Spanish*

118011: Fuel mixture, too much 'grease' (I assume oil) in fuel/air mixture
118111: Fuel mixture 2, too much 'grease' (I assume oil) in fuel/air mixture

Car has Racing Dynamic catted downpipes and AFAIK it has not been remapped (tuned)

A blue puff comes out the exhaust under load and also when idling. According to the Indy shop, they need to replace valve seals + rings in order to have this fixed.

Note also the car has a oil leak where the turbo sits, right in the engine 'valley'.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Attached Images

Last edited by lasd000; 10-20-2022 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 06:55 PM   #2
fstm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasd000 View Post
Attachment 3012732Hi all!

So I've been looking to buy a 2012 MY13 F10 M5 with 60,000kms (roughly 38k mi), took it to have a PPI and they found two fault codes that are persistent:

*Please bare with me since I'm translating from Spanish*

118011: Fuel mixture, too much 'grease' (I assume oil) in fuel/air mixture
118111: Fuel mixture 2, too much 'grease' (I assume oil) in fuel/air mixture

Car has Racing Dynamic catted downpipes and AFAIK it has not been remapped (tuned)

A blue puff comes out the exhaust under load and also when idling. According to the Indy shop, they need to replace valve seals + rings in order to have this fixed.

Note also the car has a oil leak where the turbo sits, right in the engine 'valley'.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?
Just stay away from it man this is gonna be a headache it must need all new turbo oil lines as well as valve seals or gaskets etc

Not worth the headache

Could be the PCV but I doubt it
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 07:00 PM   #3
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

The oil leak is the only concern I would have.

The codes are from the high flow cats, you can get a tune to remove the catalytic check or modify the stock tune.

The oil smoke.. very normal for these cars. Up to a quart per 750 miles is acceptable. It could be the valve seals or the pcv system.

Mine and many others on here burn oil, I just check the level every 500 miles and top it up when needed.
Appreciate 1
KurtsM518.00
      10-21-2022, 05:09 PM   #4
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
The oil leak is the only concern I would have.

The codes are from the high flow cats, you can get a tune to remove the catalytic check or modify the stock tune.

The oil smoke.. very normal for these cars. Up to a quart per 750 miles is acceptable. It could be the valve seals or the pcv system.

Mine and many others on here burn oil, I just check the level every 500 miles and top it up when needed.
Burning oil is one thing. Enough oil to cause exhaust smoke is another. Also a mechanic is saying new valve seals and rings. I am not sure how far he investigated to determine both need replacement. The miles seem really low to already need seals and rings.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 05:15 PM   #5
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

If it burns oil it'll smoke, it has to go out somewhere. This is especially true for high flow cats and even worse for catless. Mine smokes a lot, but it has catless downpipes.

I doubt there was much investigation with how popular the valve seals are at going bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 08:19 PM   #6
turboslut
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 M5, '18 GT3, '08 911 Turbo

Running catless downpipes without a tune can sometimes lead to overboost conditions. I had a friend damage an STi once by jumping the gun and adding the cats far in advance of getting the tune.

If you can manage to get the car sub $20k then you can use the savings to get a fresh rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 09:36 PM   #7
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboslut View Post
Running catless downpipes without a tune can sometimes lead to overboost conditions. I had a friend damage an STi once by jumping the gun and adding the cats far in advance of getting the tune.

If you can manage to get the car sub $20k then you can use the savings to get a fresh rebuild.
The F10 M5 does NOT have this problem. I know Subarus and older cars do, especially Japanese tuner cars.

The DMEs (ECUs) in our cars are way more advanced than most. Hence the extremely high prices if one goes bad (there's two of them).

Myself personally and many other forum members have been running catless without tunes for years and many many miles. You do NOT need a stage 1/2/3+ tune.

There are no negatives from running catless downpipes except for the environmental impact. Some of the advantages are increased power, cooler engine bay, and way better sound.
Appreciate 0