M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

06-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #23
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Per 2016 M5 manual:

Viscosity grades
When selecting an engine oil, make sure that the engine oil has the viscosity grade SAE 0W-30. Alternatively, also engine oils with vis‐ cosity grades SAE 5W-30, SAE 0W-40 or SAE 5W-40 can be used
Interesting, my 2016 says only 0w40 or 0w30 as an alternative. Same with my online version.
Can't trust BMW, what version is your manual? Trying to figure out why mine online shows that:

Online Edition for Part no. 01 40 2 972 617 - VI/16

Thanks!
I'm not sure how to check that. It's the official BMW Driver's Guide application from the Apple App Store. You put in your car info and they populate the relevant documents to your car.

I'm on version 2.4.3.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #24
satinof10m5
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 m5

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinof10m5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecpe View Post
Liquimoly 5w40 for the past 8k. Before that the car was maintained by the dealer and very well. Went in every 4-5k miles.
That's thick for our engines. My manual recommends 0w40 or 0w30 only.
I was using 5w-40 now I'm using 5w-50. Ow40/0w30 seem to be like water.
I'm only saying what the manual recommends. Why do you run a thicker oil?

It does burn a bit more with thinner oils, but I'd take that over not having the proper viscosity at startup (where a lot of wear occurs).
I use thicker oil because lower grade doesn't lubricate as well. I have my reasons it seems most rod bearing issues and other bigger issues happen when people are using recommended oil grades. I don't burn half as much oil and my fuel mileage is amazing 11.5 litres per 100km. Also I've talked to a lot of guys that are stage 2 tuned using 5w-50. Or 5-40. I only drive my car in summer months so outdoor temps tire is pretty hot. Even though it's thicker oil I do a proper warm up. I never put a heavy load on the car until it's reached running temp. I've noticed the cars engine sounds quieter with the thicker oil
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 11:50 AM   #25
satinof10m5
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 m5

There's a member in this forum that has over 140 miles and he is set on redline 5w-50. His car is running strong and has been on a stage 2 tune I believe for over 50kmiles
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #26
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not sure how to check that. It's the official BMW Driver's Guide application from the Apple App Store. You put in your car info and they populate the relevant documents to your car.

I'm on version 2.4.3.
Yeah that is where I opened my manual. Weird... mine is July 2016 build date, but I am sure their app is messed up. I do have 0w30 inside the engine bay
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 07:50 AM   #27
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

When you changed the oil let us know if the clicking has stopped.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #28
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
When you changed the oil let us know if the clicking has stopped.
I'm not starting it again after I saw the little but of copper in the oil. It's gonna go straight to the mechanic on a tow truck and hopefully the cranks is still fine once he opens it up.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 01:46 PM   #29
turboslut
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 M5, '18 GT3, '08 911 Turbo

When the ticking speeds up at a rate faster than the rev/rpm it usually indicates something in the valvetrain is amiss. The gearing of valvetrain I believe is 2 to 1, so as you rev the ticking speeds up faster. If it were constant with the rpm then it is crank/rod related.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #30
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Well, update for you folks.
Got the rod bearings replace with ACL. OEM started wearing but weren't bad. We replaced them still. What do you know, the noise is still there... my mechanic is stumped at what it could be.. can even listen with a stethoscope where the noise is coming from.
We thought bent rod, but then it's not loud enough and the car still pulls like a monster.
Main bearings? Maybe but, usually those give a bit of vibration and I'm I would feel something is off, and again those are usually pretty loud and noticeable.
At this point I don't know what it could be.. seems like the noise is directly under the turbos.
The noise still sounds like a lifter tick but a bit quieter and doesn't get loud the more rpm you give, just raises in speed.
Car still pulls like a freight train and not a single code.
We ran a smoothness test with ISTA and comes back good.
Literally stumped.
Any help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 10:02 PM   #31
SmokinJoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Well, update for you folks.
Got the rod bearings replace with ACL. OEM started wearing but weren't bad. We replaced them still. What do you know, the noise is still there... my mechanic is stumped at what it could be.. can even listen with a stethoscope where the noise is coming from.
We thought bent rod, but then it's not loud enough and the car still pulls like a monster.
Main bearings? Maybe but, usually those give a bit of vibration and I'm I would feel something is off, and again those are usually pretty loud and noticeable.
At this point I don't know what it could be.. seems like the noise is directly under the turbos.
The noise still sounds like a lifter tick but a bit quieter and doesn't get loud the more rpm you give, just raises in speed.
Car still pulls like a freight train and not a single code.
We ran a smoothness test with ISTA and comes back good.
Literally stumped.
Any help would be appreciated!
I remember hearing someone say they blew a exhaust manifold gasket after a long freeway pull and it made a similar noise. Maybe check that. I’d also do a compression test to confirm it’s not a slightly bent rod.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 11:43 PM   #32
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yea I saw that thread too.. I checked that area yesterday and didn't see much.. usually the exhaust manifold leak has an air sound to the tick not a metallic noise..
I don't know if a compression test would yield anything because even a slight bend on the rod would be felt in the power delivery.
Yesterday I beat the living crap out of it to actually try and see if a bent rod will get worse and make more noise and nothing..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 12:26 AM   #33
SmokinJoe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yea I saw that thread too.. I checked that area yesterday and didn't see much.. usually the exhaust manifold leak has an air sound to the tick not a metallic noise..
I don't know if a compression test would yield anything because even a slight bend on the rod would be felt in the power delivery.
Yesterday I beat the living crap out of it to actually try and see if a bent rod will get worse and make more noise and nothing..
Yeah it would have to be a pretty weird leak to sound like yours does. Try pulling the oil cap while it’s running and listen for any extra noise. Could be a chain tensioner. Wonder if it’s a hydraulic lifter that has a little piece of debris in it making it not hold psi. Hard to tell from the video if it has that valve train kind of sound or not. Pulling the plugs to see if anything looks weird on one cylinder may be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 01:18 AM   #34
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

It literally sounds like a bad lifter. We did put the liquimoly lifter additive just in case, no result.
Funny enough, I wanted to rule out loose spark plug and ended up throwing my NGKs that I had waiting and did new coil packs since I was there. All of them look good.
Chain tensioner again would most likely throw some sort of vanos code.
Going nuts with this thing..
The only thing at this point I can think of is main bearing, but then again.. I don't think I'll be able to beat on it whatsoever and not even get any sort of vibration.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 01:44 AM   #35
SmokinJoe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It literally sounds like a bad lifter. We did put the liquimoly lifter additive just in case, no result.
Funny enough, I wanted to rule out loose spark plug and ended up throwing my NGKs that I had waiting and did new coil packs since I was there. All of them look good.
Chain tensioner again would most likely throw some sort of vanos code.
Going nuts with this thing..
The only thing at this point I can think of is main bearing, but then again.. I don't think I'll be able to beat on it whatsoever and not even get any sort of vibration.
I doubt it’s the mains but I guess anything is possible. Wish there was a good way to check oil psi. May have to get under the valve covers and look around. I’ve never seen it personally but I hear a failing injector can be noisy. That one is pretty far fetched but…
Also have you checked data logs for anything weird?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 09:49 AM   #36
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I haven't checked data logs. And you're right about the injectors, that was my next move but they're out of stock with no eta. I know N54 injectors failing sometimes sound like a valve tap
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 10:32 AM   #37
SmokinJoe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I haven't checked data logs. And you're right about the injectors, that was my next move but they're out of stock with no eta. I know N54 injectors failing sometimes sound like a valve tap
Quote:
I changed my injectors as preventative maintenance a while back but they were perfectly fine. If you want them for testing you could use them. They are EU5s with 50k miles. I ultrasonic cleaned them too.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 05:44 PM   #38
Spacecpe
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'll keep you posted. Somebody said that if the tapping is louder when I open the oil cap it's a bent rod
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 11:12 AM   #39
SHADY1
Hamann M3 Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 E92 M3 Coupe  [8.14]
Cool Any updates on this post

Quote:
I'll keep you posted. Somebody said that if the tapping is louder when I open the oil cap it's a bent rod
Did you ever figure out the problem with your car. Was it the injectors or what.

JZB,6MT, My mods 360 Forged 20inch wheels,VF650 Supercharger custom tuned,ARH Long Tube Headers,Hamann CF roof spoiler,H&R springs,CF grills,Hamann rear trunk spoiler,Hamann Side Skirts, ARKYM full CF bumper, Gintani Race exhaust, ARH X-pipe catless,RPI scoops,AA SSK, Arkym CF Double Sided Vented Hood,
Appreciate 0