Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-07-2022, 01:33 PM   #1
kyle95
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 jerez m3

Looking into F10 M5 6speed

Good afternoon everyone ,

As the title states , I'm looking to get into a 6speed f10. I know it's rare and I know it's not the most ideal transmission for the vehicle. But I wanted to know if anyone has had first hand experience with it ? I've have 3 (e9x,f8x)m3's all manual . I also ventured to amg but in the end Bmw is for me.

I'm looking to try something different and step into the m5 world. Any help would be appreciated or where I can strt the search. I haven't really seen any on here.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 05:54 PM   #2
blake6511
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: NA

I have a 2013 manual and absolutely love it. I believe 2014 and above models are more desired, but given the rarity of them I just jumped on it when it fell in my lap. I have had no manual transmission issues but have had to fix a coolant line leak (known issue) and mine is thirsty when it comes to oil. Good luck in you search and enjoy.

Last edited by blake6511; 05-07-2022 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 10:18 PM   #3
kyle95
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake6511 View Post
I have a 2013 manual and absolutely love it. I believe 2014 and above models are more desired, but given the rarity of them I just jumped on it when it fell in my lap. I have had no manual transmission issues but have had to fix a coolant line leak (known issue) and mine is thirsty when it comes to oil. Good luck in you search and enjoy.
Nice ! And yes I believe 2013 are the year that majority of manuals were made for the f10 chassis I believe. I mean you can always upgrade slight things on it as well. I remember reading something about the bearings on the early year models. Any issues with that? Or things like coil packs and etc ?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 05:19 AM   #4
Karen_765
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6, bmwm3 , m6 m7, m8

[QUOTE=kyle95;28880029]Good afternoon everyone ,

As the title states , I'm looking to get into a 6speed f10. I know it's rare and I know it's not the most ideal transmission for the vehicle. But I wanted to know if anyone has had first hand experience with it ? I've have 3 (e9x,f8x)m3's all manual . I also ventured to amg but in the end Bmw is for me.

I'm looking to try something different and step into the m5 world. Any help would be appreciated or where I can strt the search. I haven't really seen any on here.
6speed f10 available in good condition...................
Shipping PM karenadam8654@gma.com
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 07:46 AM   #5
blake6511
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: NA

No issues so far with bearings, etc but I also only do about 3k miles per year. I am not tuned or anything and let the car warm up before pushing it up above the 3k mark when shifting. I do get the annoying break squealing every so often, but some sonar and a wash takes care of that. Occasional spirited driving in sport mode as well, but have not logged any track time, etc. I do like to keep an eye on things with Bimmerlink and did some coding with BimmerCode initially, picked up a cheap android tablet for doing so when the mood strikes, but no errors detected to date when I scan after those drives when I push it a bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 01:19 PM   #6
calicolorado
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Comp 6-spd

Garage List
2015 BMW M5   [0.00]
1972 BMW 200/  [0.00]
2020 BMW X7 40i  [0.00]
I'd buy the lowest mileage, newest car you can afford with a traceable and complete ownership history. Pretty much the same approach I'd take for any car I was interested in, but the history is important because you don't want one that's been improperly modified or abused. With the power these have, you could really damage the driveline if you dump the clutch, power shift etc. Not everyone will love the car the way you would. Clutch and flywheel parts are not inexpensive nor is driveline work, so just use common sense and have it inspected.

All of that said, I think the car works beautifully with the manual and having that level of control with this level of power is just awesome. It shrinks around you when you drive it hard on a winding road and feels like a superhero. To me it's a bit like a bigger e90. It's a special car, among the last of big stick-shift sedans!

I have 59k on mine-a 2015 comp pack manual, and have had zero issues with it, just maintenance. I drive it twice a week and do everything with it-take kids to swimming, drive to work, drive for fun etc. Make sure you use a BMW-LL01 engine oil (LL04 also ok) and change the driveline fluids using the right viscosity. 5k oil changes are the sweet spot. Mine is and will remain bone stock and I'm using all BMW OEM parts-the price differential isn't that great for most things and I just figure this car deserves it. It lives in the garage and I keep it shiny.

Good luck, happy to answer any questions if you have 'em.
2011 Highlander 4WD
Appreciate 1
JDMSteven474.50
      05-08-2022, 01:30 PM   #7
kyle95
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicolorado View Post
I'd buy the lowest mileage, newest car you can afford with a traceable and complete ownership history. Pretty much the same approach I'd take for any car I was interested in, but the history is important because you don't want one that's been improperly modified or abused. With the power these have, you could really damage the driveline if you dump the clutch, power shift etc. Not everyone will love the car the way you would. Clutch and flywheel parts are not inexpensive nor is driveline work, so just use common sense and have it inspected.

All of that said, I think the car works beautifully with the manual and having that level of control with this level of power is just awesome. It shrinks around you when you drive it hard on a winding road and feels like a superhero. To me it's a bit like a bigger e90. It's a special car, among the last of big stick-shift sedans!

I have 59k on mine-a 2015 comp pack manual, and have had zero issues with it, just maintenance. I drive it twice a week and do everything with it-take kids to swimming, drive to work, drive for fun etc. Make sure you use a BMW-LL01 engine oil (LL04 also ok) and change the driveline fluids using the right viscosity. 5k oil changes are the sweet spot. Mine is and will remain bone stock and I'm using all BMW OEM parts-the price differential isn't that great for most things and I just figure this car deserves it. It lives in the garage and I keep it shiny.

Thank you so much ! It's just so hard trying to find one. I typically do oil changes every 5k as well. I've just heard horror stories about the coil packs / plugs with misfires. I know s63 motors are gremlins lol . The s65 I'm pretty comfortable with working on but gotta do more research to see if I find anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 04:35 PM   #8
naiza3k
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 & 2019 x7 xdrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle95 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicolorado View Post

Thank you so much ! It's just so hard trying to find one. I typically do oil changes every 5k as well. I've just heard horror stories about the coil packs / plugs with misfires. I know s63 motors are gremlins lol . The s65 I'm pretty comfortable with working on but gotta do more research to see if I find anything.
I've been an owner to a 13 m5 manual for the last 7 years and have had 0 issues. She drank a little more oil when using mobile 1 but on Castro I haven't had to top off. Car also has FBO w tune.

Currently just hit 50k miles fwiw and sitting on top of my lift as I've been honey mooning on my 991.2 turbo s.

Previous: 2015 X5 Graphite, |All options| - 2014 435i Xdrive Msport, |Fully Loaded|6MT|FBO|JB4|Front,side,rear lips/spoilers|- 2015 320i Xdrive, |Wife's beater| - 2008 535i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 02:16 PM   #9
Rmv42158
Private
Rep
Drives: 550i

I have a 2013 Space Grey 6spd with about 73k on it. Only issue's I had was a coil pack, AC pump, and other little things which were covered by a warranty. I truly love the car and every time I'm in it I tell myself ill never sell it as i searched for months for it. However sometimes when it sits for two weeks, I'm like ill list hit high and see what happens as I'm seeing these go on BAT for really good selling prices. I'm not sure the money is worth me never finding one again. But who knows.

Good Luck in your search. When you find the right one its like having a badass unicorn !
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 09:10 AM   #10
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle95 View Post
Good afternoon everyone ,

I own a 2014 6speed and it has been the most reliable ///M car I've owned. I'd definitely recommend the dct if you spend a lot of time in traffic, the clutch (6MT) is heavy and can get annoying.
      05-17-2022, 05:49 PM   #11
JDMSteven
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F13 M6, '94 JDM Supra 5MT

Garage List
2013 BMW M6  [10.00]
I must be the only person who isn't a fan of the DCT, I feel like I'd like a manual more in my M6. You still have to kind of drive the DCT like a manual, and it's just a little too unpredictable and herky jerky for me to drive smoothly.
Appreciate 0