Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-19-2019, 05:16 AM   #1
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d

New M5 F10 owner IDrive music selection advice needed

Hey All

I have recently made a purchase of a 2013 LCI BMW F10 M5.
WOW what a machine. Coming from a 330i it is quite a jump and man does it put a smile on your face

Still getting used to the car, only had it since 1st march and have hit a little hiccup regarding idrive music selection. Now its my first vehicle with idrive so i may not know it inside out but i have done all i can but cannot seem to figure this one out. I have done some research but cannot seem to find my answer

Basically i have started to put all my music onto a usb. It has been categorized into folders and i have about 6 folders on the usb for now.

When i plug the usb in, idrive seems to automatically select the fist folder (alphabetical order) and play the sound tracks from that folder only.

I cannot seem to navigate or locate any of the folders i have created on the usb.
If i use the search function i can find a song from another folder and it will play however again it shows me no option to choose.

Is this how the idrive works and will not allow me to see the folders i have created? or is it something i am doign wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
Maximo1970
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 M5

The iDrive in the F10 was designed when CD's where still wildly used, so the import function is based on you using CD's. Which works quite well, although it's hit and miss if the Artist and Track details are presented.
When you plug in a USB stick to either play directly or upload to the iDrive the system only works with a single folder at a time. Which means that you have to load the USB stick with a single CD at a time, much like loading a single CD.

Another quirk you'll find is that you can only randomise an album and not your entire music collection. The nearest you get is the Top 50 option.
Appreciate 1
Raahil55.50
      03-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo1970 View Post
The iDrive in the F10 was designed when CD's where still wildly used, so the import function is based on you using CD's. Which works quite well, although it's hit and miss if the Artist and Track details are presented.
When you plug in a USB stick to either play directly or upload to the iDrive the system only works with a single folder at a time. Which means that you have to load the USB stick with a single CD at a time, much like loading a single CD.

Another quirk you'll find is that you can only randomise an album and not your entire music collection. The nearest you get is the Top 50 option.
Thats great Maximo thanks for that. It isn't just me then!
Bit disappointing that is

I could could create playlists on the iphone and was able to filter through them on idrive but cannot be a**sd with itunes every time i want to add one more track!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

When I changed from my e60 to F10, it was slightly different to get to the folders. In the e60 you could simply go back and it would show them. With the F10 you select USB and on the left hand side there is a little magnifying glass icon, press that and press search folder, your folders should then be listed. I wondered why they changed it and didn't like it at first but now just seems normal.

I tried to upload pics but this forum seems so unpredictable when it comes to uploading. Sometimes works and sometimes not, no matter what computer I use. (ADMIN PLEASE FIX THIS)
Appreciate 1
Raahil55.50
      03-21-2019, 06:10 AM   #5
Raahil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
When I changed from my e60 to F10, it was slightly different to get to the folders. In the e60 you could simply go back and it would show them. With the F10 you select USB and on the left hand side there is a little magnifying glass icon, press that and press search folder, your folders should then be listed. I wondered why they changed it and didn't like it at first but now just seems normal.

I tried to upload pics but this forum seems so unpredictable when it comes to uploading. Sometimes works and sometimes not, no matter what computer I use. (ADMIN PLEASE FIX THIS)
YESS Dwaynos bang on!! It displays all my folders and i can play tracks only from the folders i select.
Exactly what i was after!! thank you
Appreciate 0