04-14-2019, 12:01 AM   #23
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advantage View Post
I've had both. Both modified. I actually preferred the e60 M5 over the F10 M5. e60 felt like a race car first and luxury sedan second. F10 feels like a fast luxury car similar to how a Mercedes feels.

I had virtually no issues with my e60 and clocked 92,000 miles. I have had some problems with my F10 (rear struts, front control arms).

Miss that e60 sound and driving experience. F10 is more refined, more compliant, but less edgy and, for me, less exciting to drive and less special feeling. That's been my experience.

Yes, the F10 is faster but it takes more than speed to feel special.
yea the bangle era design makes you feel real special

but when is someone going to put a built S85 in a manual f10???!

IMHO, among bmw's wide variety, each generation only has a couple that are stunners and exemplifies bmw styling. in the 2000s learning to drive and starting to pay attention to cars it was always the e46 m3 and 330ci coupes that always caught my eye in traffic and 8 series and they were just what bmw was.. but the chris bangle era is why i didnt own a bmw 10 years ago. it just wasnt bmw to me. the e60 is hideous. e90 was horrible too although not a bangle design.

bmw is e46, e39, e92, f82, and f10

the f90 is buick-esque to me in the headlight shape. they got the headlights all wrong
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
RPiM52856.50
      04-14-2019, 12:12 AM   #24
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxbuff2001 View Post
I honestly dont believe what doug says. He seems to be a nice guy.

But not owning these cars he reviews, then borrowing it for a few hours, then giving his reviews, I would not put my money where his mouth is.

Most of those you see in youtube are vloggers, they are not real automotive enthusiasts. There are only a few who are really left.

Ive used my e60 on 1000 mile trips and did daily driving, no problem. It gulps gas like a thirsty mule, but that V10 is well worth it.
Doug Demuro is the real deal. he writes for autotrader, used to work for porsche doing 918 orders and the likes. he gets some things wrong but he is right about the S85 motor issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #25
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
yea the bangle era design makes you feel real special

but when is someone going to put a built S85 in a manual f10???!

IMHO, among bmw's wide variety, each generation only has a couple that are stunners and exemplifies bmw styling. in the 2000s learning to drive and starting to pay attention to cars it was always the e46 m3 and 330ci coupes that always caught my eye in traffic and 8 series and they were just what bmw was.. but the chris bangle era is why i didnt own a bmw 10 years ago. it just wasnt bmw to me. the e60 is hideous. e90 was horrible too although not a bangle design.

bmw is e46, e39, e92, f82, and f10

the f90 is buick-esque to me in the headlight shape. they got the headlights all wrong
Think I'll go with most of what you say, indeed in the previous years the E46 M3 WAS the look then and now arguably the F10 is the look; the F90 has too much make up with pouting grille.
Over here the E60 was commonly referred to as the matron for it's looks.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 11:36 AM   #26
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Think I'll go with most of what you say, indeed in the previous years the E46 M3 WAS the look then and now arguably the F10 is the look; the F90 has too much make up with pouting grille.
haha. the matron. but while i'm at it, they got the taillights wrong too. and i want analog guages, with a dish of led displays on the side; the best of both worlds. but having real physical needles is crucial to me
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 02:43 AM   #27
schrickm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M550d xdrive touring

Quote:
I have to admit also - when you own a car, you justify its looks to yourself, or other areas of the car. But this weekend was the first time I spent with the F10 after winter storeage - and I took a shot of it that puts no doubt in my eyes that its one of the best looking BMW's ever made....
Attached Images

Previous Cars:- 2015 GTR > 2014 M5 CP > 2006 M6> 2007 M5 E61 > 2014 F31 328xi >2001 E39 530i > 1995 E34 M5 > 1999 Alpina B8 > 1992 E34 M5 >
Appreciate 2
RPiM52856.50
      04-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #28
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrickm5 View Post
Quote:
I have to admit also - when you own a car, you justify its looks to yourself, or other areas of the car. But this weekend was the first time I spent with the F10 after winter storeage - and I took a shot of it that puts no doubt in my eyes that its one of the best looking BMW's ever made....
To me, the F10 is right there with the E39. The F10 M5 will age very well in 10 or 20 years. Especially when future BMW's look like this...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #29
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
Doug Demuro is the real deal. he writes for autotrader, used to work for porsche doing 918 orders and the likes. he gets some things wrong but he is right about the S85 motor issues.
He's right about the motor issues, but I would not use his opinion for buying any car. I've watched quite a bit of his videos mostly to learn the quirks of cars I'm interested in. The quirkier the better for me. 😂

That being said, vloggers have a bit of a disposable mentality when it comes to reviewing cars. They live with them for such small periods of time and then move on to the next one. Very quickly subjectiveness will be under attack because their opinion will undoubtedly overlap with something just reviewed.

Case in point, Doug says that the new Mazda 3 is his favorite compact sedan. Then proceeds to give it a super low "Doug Score" behind a Kia Soul. Lol. He dings the Mazda 3 on its infotainment, but brags about the Bluetooth speaker he uses in his Ford GT as his main radio. Just all over the place with that review.

Can't trust vloggers unless their names are Chris Harris or Rory Reid in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #30
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
He's right about the motor issues, but I would not use his opinion for buying any car. I've watched quite a bit of his videos mostly to learn the quirks of cars I'm interested in. The quirkier the better for me. 😂

That being said, vloggers have a bit of a disposable mentality when it comes to reviewing cars. They live with them for such small periods of time and then move on to the next one. Very quickly subjectiveness will be under attack because their opinion will undoubtedly overlap with something just reviewed.

Case in point, Doug says that the new Mazda 3 is his favorite compact sedan. Then proceeds to give it a super low "Doug Score" behind a Kia Soul. Lol. He dings the Mazda 3 on its infotainment, but brags about the Bluetooth speaker he uses in his Ford GT as his main radio. Just all over the place with that review.

Can't trust vloggers unless their names are Chris Harris or Rory Reid in my opinion.
yeah he can be wack sometimes. can you trust scotty the mechanic? man he's funny.

and I agree is when I get a new car I'll learn new things about it weeks later. but he's got the owners there telling him most of the stuff.

but he doesn't understand some design features and things sometimes and he asks what were they thinking and I just want to be like this is what they're thinking dude I don't know how you don't understand this because he supposed to be a car guy but he does miss things sometimes
Appreciate 0