M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-10-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
Davie3door
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW F10 M5
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Motherwell

iTrader: (0)

M5 Additional Security

Due to a spate of thefts of hi spec cars, I have just had an Autowatch Ghost fitted to the M5 today.

What additional security do you have on your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
127
Rep
568
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
I'm happy with the standard set up but additionally I've got a leather covered bar locked onto steering wheel as a visual deterrent.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 03:14 AM   #3
Hasser
Major
Hasser's Avatar
Isle of Man
302
Rep
1,080
Posts

Drives: 2014 F10 M5
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Isle of Man

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I'm happy with the standard set up but additionally I've got a leather covered bar locked onto steering wheel as a visual deterrent.
sterring wheel locks are the way to go - just a bit cumbersome to keep in the car and fit / unfit each time

you can also get pedal locks
__________________
2014 M5
1999 E38 728i
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 06:21 AM   #4
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
127
Rep
568
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
I just swing it back into a rear footwell if no ones in the back.I had a classic TR6 sports car not long ago and that came with an original Krooklok where the steering wheel and brake pedal were secured by a long metal hooped bar but a good whack with a heavy hammer would render it useless.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:46 AM   #5
Loafer76
New Member
Loafer76's Avatar
United Kingdom
2
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Comp Pack - Silverstone
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: West Malling, Kent, UK

iTrader: (0)

Trackstar

I have a Trackstar Tracker fitted.

The model I have requires a fob or “pebble” to be in the region of the driver seat at start up. Without it, I get a phone call once the car has travelled more than about 300 yards to check everything is ok.

Love the service.

Also provides historical record of the cars journeys and speeds....(less good in some cases but interesting viewing if the car has been in for work and they “road tested” it...
__________________
Thanks,

Larry

2016 F10 M5 - Competition Pack - Silverstone Blue II
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
maccattack
New Member
maccattack's Avatar
0
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Might sound like a really silly question guys so pardon me if i speak out of turn ..... but if there is a run of thefts involving hi-spec and high end cars, do we really want to be posting on a public forum what additional security we have fitted to our cars? just means the thieving little scum can read on here what we have and know what to look for or get round and make taking our cars even easier??
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 05:47 AM   #7
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
127
Rep
568
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccattack View Post
Might sound like a really silly question guys so pardon me if i speak out of turn ..... but if there is a run of thefts involving hi-spec and high end cars, do we really want to be posting on a public forum what additional security we have fitted to our cars? just means the thieving little scum can read on here what we have and know what to look for or get round and make taking our cars even easier??
So long as they don't post their exact location..! But seriously the ones that have a worry are the owners of the 'comfort entry' models, who park on the driveway overnight when the maggots use a lap top/shield magnifier next to windows or walls while the owner is sleeping gaining entry.Those with the push button unlock/lock are ok, the only way they can get those is if they steal the opener.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
nickd911
New Member
United Kingdom
5
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 CP
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sussex

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
But seriously the ones that have a worry are the owners of the 'comfort entry' models, who park on the driveway overnight when the maggots use a lap top/shield magnifier next to windows or walls while the owner is sleeping gaining entry.Those with the push button unlock/lock are ok, the only way they can get those is if they steal the opener.
I think most people put their keys in a jamming pouch like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blocker-Blo...=fsclp_pl_dp_1, get the benefit of comfort access and no-one can gain entry!

I think the Autowatch Ghost is the best way to go. Even if they get the keys the car still wont start
__________________
Next Car - F90 M5 Comp pack
Currently Driving - 2018 GLS 350d, 2008 XC90
Sold - M5 LCI, Singapore Grey, Competition Pack, Black Merino
Sold - Lancia Integrale Evo1, Red
Sold - E39 M5, Oxford Green
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2019, 05:11 AM   #9
M5theonlyone
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
127
Rep
568
Posts

Drives: BMW M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickd911 View Post
I think most people put their keys in a jamming pouch like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blocker-Blo...=fsclp_pl_dp_1, get the benefit of comfort access and no-one can gain entry!

I think the Autowatch Ghost is the best way to go. Even if they get the keys the car still wont start
Looks like a good idea if you remember to put it in there every time before you turn in for the night.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 01:55 PM   #10
Davie3door
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: BMW F10 M5
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Motherwell

iTrader: (0)

I have also returned to 1994 and purchased a Disklock so with that fitted The Ghost along with the Faraday pouches then best of luck to the thieving scum who cause us all this bother.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
M6Havana
M6 f12 Havana
M6Havana's Avatar
United Kingdom
96
Rep
415
Posts

Drives: M6 Cab
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: south england

iTrader: (0)

My finance company fitted 2 trackers at a cost to themselves selfs. I also have had a GHOST 2 fitted and motion detectors including bonnet when parked so no fuckers getting my car
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #12
Chrismac13
Captain
England
194
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: BMW F31 335i
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Blyth

iTrader: (0)

I have the ghost fitted. Also had it on my previous BM
__________________
Current: 2016 BMW M5 F10
Gone: 2015 BMW 335i F31, MPPK, DMS Remap, Eibach Pro kit
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #13
LooseCann0n
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 F10
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Looks like a good idea if you remember to put it in there every time before you turn in for the night.
I have the same pouch - and one for the wife’s keys. It is a pain to do every night but once you are in a habit it is easier.
Agree better to have the pain and have comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:35 AM   #14
Taheemr
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
90
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: M6 GC
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mids

iTrader: (0)

you will require these in my view

Baseball bat
pepper spray
faraday pouch
disc lock
Ghost
Tracker
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #15
Effy
New Member
United Kingdom
6
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

GAP Insurance ...........I wouldn't want my motor back after it's been thrashed to within an inch of it's life on a cold engine
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:59 AM   #16
OneExtra
Captain
United Kingdom
339
Rep
876
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Comp Pack
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effy View Post
GAP Insurance ...........I wouldn't want my motor back after it's been thrashed to within an inch of it's life on a cold engine
GAP is 100% worth while, I have return to invoice and same spec
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 02:39 AM   #17
Effy
New Member
United Kingdom
6
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Yes that's exactly what I have I'm with ALA, which has some excellent reviews
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST