M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-19-2019, 11:59 PM   #45
JK-M5
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MBB F90 M5

I don't believe there is a spark plug for the F10 that runs colder, my self and another forum member had these issues at the same time he tried the NGK over the Bosch and the issue was still there, we both had 15 plate cars with the same mods, we tried everything, coil packs,plugs,plug gaps,maf sensors. i even put a boroscope down the pot and checked for any superficial damage even that was clear it could be down to the down pipes. i purchased some exhaust wrap for the down pipes but before i fitted it the Engine detonated and was beyond repair made a right mess.iv'e read that unwrapped down pipes can migrate the heat to the block and cause issues in certain cylinders so this is a cheap way of ruling out potential issues but like i say the more times you hit the misfire your running the gauntlet with a massive engine failure and you don't want that on your hands chaps.

my personal opinion is if your getting misfires with the tune then remove the down pipes and settle for a stage 1, still incredibly fast enough
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 11:35 PM   #46
HansLankari
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, VW Scirocco

The gap in normal numbers?

What does that "0,022" mean in millimeters?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 12:16 AM   #47
HansLankari
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, VW Scirocco

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansLankari View Post
What does that "0,022" mean in millimeters?
OK; answering to me myself; the measurements are:
0,018 inches = 0,4572 mm
0,020 inches = 0,5080 mm
0,022 inches = 0,5588 mm
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #48
Dtireshop
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Hello, can someone tell me what is the stock spark plug gap for stock engine F10 M5.
I can't find the I formation anywhere.

I only found one reference with 0.030 and another 0.034.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #49
SpeedProtocol
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 F10 M5 - '21 F90 M5

My bosch plugs came gapped at .032 and I threw them in there. Ive heard of the dealer even using .028.

I think you will be fine as long as they are all the same gap.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #50
Dtireshop
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droner View Post
My bosch plugs came gapped at .032 and I threw them in there. Ive heard of the dealer even using .028.

I think you will be fine as long as they are all the same gap.
Thank you for the information.

I did new Bosch spark plugs set at .030 and new Bosch coils, still have misfires on multiple cylinders so it has to be something else.

I appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #51
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtireshop View Post

I did new Bosch spark plugs set at .030 and new Bosch coils, still have misfires on multiple cylinders so it has to be something else.

I appreciate it.
Where did you get your coils? I used new Bosch coils from rockauto stamped with made in Slovenia on side, Multiple misfires right out of the box. Replaced all with Eldor coils from FCPeuro, no more misfires. Bosch coils from Slovenia are junk. If yours are the real German ones then load up ISTA and perform the Injector test, possible faulty injectors or bad HPFP.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58873.50
      08-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #52
Dtireshop
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Where did you get your coils? I used new Bosch coils from rockauto stamped with made in Slovenia on side, Multiple misfires right out of the box. Replaced all with Eldor coils from FCPeuro, no more misfires. Bosch coils from Slovenia are junk. If yours are the real German ones then load up ISTA and perform the Injector test, possible faulty injectors or bad HPFP.
I got them from NAPA, I will check them.

Eldor coils were what I wanted to purchase in first place as they are the upgraded version, but I could not get any confirmation from 3 or 4 vendors that they were going to work with the F10 M5, as they are not listed as a fit in the application guide. I also called the dealer and they told me they were using Bosch.

Do you have access to get the part number of the Eldors you purchased, if not to much trouble.

I know there are a few part number for the same coils that fit, but the ones I was looking at are Eldor # 12138657273

Sorry and thank you for you help.

Last edited by Dtireshop; 08-29-2020 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 05:53 PM   #53
Chaman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

f90 coils work too
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 03:58 AM   #54
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaman View Post
f90 coils work too
Same part number?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 08:27 AM   #55
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I got them from NAPA, I will check them.

Eldor coils were what I wanted to purchase in first place as they are the upgraded version, but I could not get any confirmation from 3 or 4 vendors that they were going to work with the F10 M5, as they are not listed as a fit in the application guide. I also called the dealer and they told me they were using Bosch.

Do you have access to get the part number of the Eldors you purchased, if not to much trouble.

I know there are a few part number for the same coils that fit, but the ones I was looking at are Eldor # 12138657273

Sorry and thank you for you help.
BMW cannot make up its mind when it comes to ignition coil vendors and in the past few years they have bounced from Bosch, to Eldor, to Delphi, back to Bosch and rumors of Bremi coming back into play now.... They are all the same design, the ignition coils have not changed until the latest rev of the n63/s63 tu3 which the f10/f90 does not use.

Eldors seem to be the best of the bunch and the part number above are what I use in my n63 and my friend in his m5 so they will work perfect in yours. You will notice the Eldors are quite a bit heavier then all the others.

The F90 coils will work also as the other member posted, they switched to Delphi, both Eldor and Delphi are good coils, problem with Delphi is alot of counterfeits so you really need to go to dealer to get legit coils which means$$$$. I personally prefer Eldor, I never had a problem with Delphi but I'm a snob and like that Eldors are made in Italy vs Delphis in China. You can feel and see that just looking at the coils side by side. Doesn't necessarily mean there is a true difference in spark performance, but.....

Speaking of counterfeits, I am assuming you are using the latest spark plugs for the s63/n63 family which is the Bosch 8165 (ZR5TPP330) which has replaced the previous gen 8179 (ZMR5TPP330) plug. Make sure it has germany stamped on the side. New round of counterfeits going around. You can find forum posts of broken plugs and misfires caused by the counterfeits.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 08-30-2020 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 06:57 PM   #56
Dtireshop
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BMW cannot make up its mind when it comes to ignition coil vendors and in the past few years they have bounced from Bosch, to Eldor, to Delphi, back to Bosch and rumors of Bremi coming back into play now.... They are all the same design, the ignition coils have not changed until the latest rev of the n63/s63 tu3 which the f10/f90 does not use.

Eldors seem to be the best of the bunch and the part number above are what I use in my n63 and my friend in his m5 so they will work perfect in yours. You will notice the Eldors are quite a bit heavier then all the others.

The F90 coils will work also as the other member posted, they switched to Delphi, both Eldor and Delphi are good coils, problem with Delphi is alot of counterfeits so you really need to go to dealer to get legit coils which means$$$$. I personally prefer Eldor, I never had a problem with Delphi but I'm a snob and like that Eldors are made in Italy vs Delphis in China. You can feel and see that just looking at the coils side by side. Doesn't necessarily mean there is a true difference in spark performance, but.....

Speaking of counterfeits, I am assuming you are using the latest spark plugs for the s63/n63 family which is the Bosch 8165 (ZR5TPP330) which has replaced the previous gen 8179 (ZMR5TPP330) plug. Make sure it has germany stamped on the side. New round of counterfeits going around. You can find forum posts of broken plugs and misfires caused by the counterfeits.
Thank you guys for all the information, I removed one coil and spark plug to verify and the spark plugs are the correct ZR5TPP330 with Germany stamped next to part#.

Now the new Busch coil are Made in Slovenia.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #57
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thank you guys for all the information, I removed one coil and spark plug to verify and the spark plugs are the correct ZR5TPP330 with Germany stamped next to part#.

Now the new Busch coil are Made in Slovenia.
I would take back those coils and order the Eldor coils right away. The Slovenia coils are junk.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 08:31 AM   #58
Dtireshop
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I would take back those coils and order the Eldor coils right away. The Slovenia coils are junk.
I am going to do just that, hopefully it will solve the problem. Will see. I appreciate you guys help very much, will keep updated.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 05:37 PM   #59
Dtireshop
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am going to do just that, hopefully it will solve the problem. Will see. I appreciate you guys help very much, will keep updated.

Thank you.
Well I tried the Eldor coils and they do not fit, the neck is thicker than the Busch so I was not able to press it all the way in.

I replaced the new Busch spark plugs I had just installed for NGK part# 97506 gaped to .030".

What year M5 has your friend?

Maybe I can see if the Delphi will work and exchange the Eldors for Delphi.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #60
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:

I appreciate it.
You either have a fuel pressure issue, caused by faulty HPFP's, or injector leakage. If you have access to ISTA, you can check for injector leakdown and run the misfire test plan. Multiple cylinder misfires are usually fuel related.
      09-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #61
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well I tried the Eldor coils and they do not fit, the neck is thicker than the Busch so I was not able to press it all the way in.

I replaced the new Busch spark plugs I had just installed for NGK part# 97506 gaped to .030".

What year M5 has your friend?

Maybe I can see if the Delphi will work and exchange the Eldors for Delphi.

Thanks
He has a 2012 but it should be all the same coil design from 2010-2016. I know others on here have used the Eldors just fine on even newer F10 M5's, I am wondering if they sent you the right coils? Can you post a pic of one of the Eldors?

Just double checked: All F10 M5's from 2011-2016 use same coil design so something is up with the Eldors they sent you, post a pic when you can and model number stamped on side.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #62
Dtireshop
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_M_Tech View Post
You either have a fuel pressure issue, caused by faulty HPFP's, or injector leakage. If you have access to ISTA, you can check for injector leakdown and run the misfire test plan. Multiple cylinder misfires are usually fuel related.
I am going to do that next, all spark plugs removed showed normal wear, no signs of any rich or lean conditions in any of them. I was trying to do the plugs and coils first.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 03:15 PM   #63
Dtireshop
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He has a 2012 but it should be all the same coil design from 2010-2016. I know others on here have used the Eldors just fine on even newer F10 M5's, I am wondering if they sent you the right coils? Can you post a pic of one of the Eldors?

Just double checked: All F10 M5's from 2011-2016 use same coil design so something is up with the Eldors they sent you, post a pic when you can and model number stamped on side.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 03:30 AM   #64
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitenrallye View Post
Hi no fault codes at all. Im getting new mafs as it hunts on idle and i swapped with a friends car and it stopped.
Fault is misfire under high load above 6000 rpm above 3rd gear. I still think its spark plug related to be honest
I am getting the JB4 tune as well and I need to change the plugs and coils out as well. I noticed on their website they sale the NGK Iridium plugs I am looking for and they are at a much reasonable cost than the others.

I noticed you were saying you go into essentially a limp mode as you shift above 6000 rpms, I have catless downpipes and since I installed them about 5 days later this started to happen to me also, but I still have the stock plugs and coils and am looking to upgrade; however, I threw codes but no misfires, I threw a drivetrain malfunction code.

Any ideas? Did changing out your MAFs help?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 03:32 AM   #65
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-M5 View Post
I don't believe there is a spark plug for the F10 that runs colder, my self and another forum member had these issues at the same time he tried the NGK over the Bosch and the issue was still there, we both had 15 plate cars with the same mods, we tried everything, coil packs,plugs,plug gaps,maf sensors. i even put a boroscope down the pot and checked for any superficial damage even that was clear it could be down to the down pipes. i purchased some exhaust wrap for the down pipes but before i fitted it the Engine detonated and was beyond repair made a right mess.iv'e read that unwrapped down pipes can migrate the heat to the block and cause issues in certain cylinders so this is a cheap way of ruling out potential issues but like i say the more times you hit the misfire your running the gauntlet with a massive engine failure and you don't want that on your hands chaps.

my personal opinion is if your getting misfires with the tune then remove the down pipes and settle for a stage 1, still incredibly fast enough
I am getting the JB4 tune as well and I need to change the plugs and coils out as well. I noticed on their website they sale the NGK Iridium plugs I am looking for and they are at a much reasonable cost than the others.

I have catless downpipes and since I installed them about 5 days later I started to go into a limp mode when shifting above 5000rpms, but I still have the stock plugs and coils and am looking to upgrade; however, I threw codes but no misfires, I threw a drivetrain malfunction code.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 12:27 PM   #66
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdeion21 View Post

I have catless downpipes and since I installed them about 5 days later I started to go into a limp mode when shifting above 5000rpms, but I still have the stock plugs and coils and am looking to upgrade; however, I threw codes but no misfires, I threw a drivetrain malfunction code.

Any ideas?
Given the use of the jb4 I'd reach out to the support folks at Burger. I've found everyone there to be very responsive and supportive.

I haven't installed the plugs for my m6 yet but I have done the plugs on my wife's 550. The gapping tool and spark plug socket they sell was very helpful. You are definitely going to need a thin walled socket.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0