M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

10-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
///SAL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 ///M5 ZCP

I think i know what dealer it was did the manger look like him...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #24
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

I had the break in service done and the advisor tells me "they need to drive it to bring it up to operating temps". Working in the car industry I know this is crap, car stays hot even after a 5 min drive.. so let it idle and check fluids. They still took it for a spin.. as I waited for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #25
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynd View Post
I had the break in service done and the advisor tells me "they need to drive it to bring it up to operating temps". Working in the car industry I know this is crap, car stays hot even after a 5 min drive.. so let it idle and check fluids. They still took it for a spin.. as I waited for it.
As you said not required by dealer did not drive it one inch from outside the workshop.
      11-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #26
rjn21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynd View Post
Garbage. There is no need to drive the car at all. They want to take it for a test drive for 2 reasons. 1. because they can charge BMW x many service units for "testing" the car and 2. Because maybe they gave it a blast.

I was clear when handing over the keys that no one but the service manager is authorised to drive my property, and that no one is authorised to take the car off the dealer premises, or I will report it to the UK Police as Taken Without Consent (TWOC), which invalidates any and all insurance and leaves the driver with a very tricky criminal offence to explain. Backed up by notes in the car and signed in writing by the service manager. Also absolutely NO washing of the car. Most UK dealers outsource vehicle wash/prep to the lowest bidder. A certain Aston dealer that is part of a large chain pays £6 per car. I do not want that company anywhere near MY paintwork thanks. You can see in the showroom the horrific swirls on brand new cars.

Yes I'm an anal git (but always polite and happy to pay to have things done my way), but it's MY car to do with as I choose. Service manager was perfectly happy to help out. I will drop him in a bottle of wine as Christmas gift.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #27
nynd
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7 M8 Convert

My thought was simply, I want it back the same way I handed the keys over. Last think I need is oops, a screwdriver dropped and hit the car.. and oh, that was already there!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #28
GotE46M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few M cars.

Did you guys get a complimentary service for the 1200 break in?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #29
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotE46M View Post
NOPE I payed £1000 service pack.
      11-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #30
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotE46M View Post
Not sure exactly what you mean but in the USA all BMWs come with 'free' 4 year/50K maintenance as part of the msrp.
Bish
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #31
GotE46M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few M cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post
Not sure exactly what you mean but in the USA all BMWs come with 'free' 4 year/50K maintenance as part of the msrp.
Bish
Yes you are right...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #32
Loft23
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 CP

I took my car in for a "courtesy break-in" service, 30 days after purchase, whether or not 1200 miles has been reached so that they can check the fluid levels. My car only had 922 miles and they said that they might as well do the 1200 since it's less than 300 miles from it.

a) Is this OK to do it early?
b) Are they allowed to perform service before eh car indicates it? I have had dealers refuse me in the past when the mileage is on schedule but the car didn't indicate it.

I too had this test drive issue. They logged 3 miles in the paperwork, in 922 / out 925, but when I drove it off the lot I saw 932 and quickly pulled over 1 block down. I understood that a test drive is required, because once you change the differential fluid and others, you want to make sure that all pressure and levels remain the same after operation. They also mentioned that they need to get the car to normal oil operating temperature before doing the tests. I called my SA who checked the paperwork but couldn't explain it, so he put me in touch with the technician who worked on my car. He said that it is standard to put 2-3 miles but since the temp outside was cold (45 degrees) he had to take it a little longer. When he returned, he logged it as 3 miles just out of habit. I call BS because you need to read the exact odometer reading and not ballpark it.

I've asked some others with M5s and it sounds like a test drive was needed to do it right. Changing the differential and SMG oil probably needs to be run under normal driving conditions and re-checked for leaks and pressure after. Having it idle in the bay doesn't do much because it's more than just motor oil change.

What got me more pissed was the fact that I have swirl marks on my rear bumper deck where most dirt collect. They ensured me that they do really good washes and they do it by hand. The rest of the car looks ok, but noticed the swirls across the back bumper in bright sunlight as if they dragged a towel across to dry the car. To make matters worse, I noticed a small scratch / gauge on the driver side door wood trim panel. It's as if they were holding on to a pen or keys and pushed the door open with it between his hands and the wood trim. Just careless!

I've emailed my salesperson and the manager of my dissatisfaction. My purchase experience has been great and they have been pushing me to write yelp and other social media reviews. I've threatened to poorly review everything and even in the official BMW survey which will really impact my salesperson and the dealership. I will see how they respond, but I will at some point request a reimbursement to take the car to a detailer of my choice. I wonder if they will replace the scratched door trim.

Never again will I go to that dealership. It is BMW of Fremont for those of you curious. Will update if they make it right or explain themselves.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #33
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loft23 View Post
I took my car in for a "courtesy break-in" service, 30 days after purchase, whether or not 1200 miles has been reached so that they can check the fluid levels. My car only had 922 miles and they said that they might as well do the 1200 since it's less than 300 miles from it.

a) Is this OK to do it early?
b) Are they allowed to perform service before eh car indicates it? I have had dealers refuse me in the past when the mileage is on schedule but the car didn't indicate it.

I too had this test drive issue. They logged 3 miles in the paperwork, in 922 / out 925, but when I drove it off the lot I saw 932 and quickly pulled over 1 block down. I understood that a test drive is required, because once you change the differential fluid and others, you want to make sure that all pressure and levels remain the same after operation. They also mentioned that they need to get the car to normal oil operating temperature before doing the tests. I called my SA who checked the paperwork but couldn't explain it, so he put me in touch with the technician who worked on my car. He said that it is standard to put 2-3 miles but since the temp outside was cold (45 degrees) he had to take it a little longer. When he returned, he logged it as 3 miles just out of habit. I call BS because you need to read the exact odometer reading and not ballpark it.

I've asked some others with M5s and it sounds like a test drive was needed to do it right. Changing the differential and SMG oil probably needs to be run under normal driving conditions and re-checked for leaks and pressure after. Having it idle in the bay doesn't do much because it's more than just motor oil change.

What got me more pissed was the fact that I have swirl marks on my rear bumper deck where most dirt collect. They ensured me that they do really good washes and they do it by hand. The rest of the car looks ok, but noticed the swirls across the back bumper in bright sunlight as if they dragged a towel across to dry the car. To make matters worse, I noticed a small scratch / gauge on the driver side door wood trim panel. It's as if they were holding on to a pen or keys and pushed the door open with it between his hands and the wood trim. Just careless!

I've emailed my salesperson and the manager of my dissatisfaction. My purchase experience has been great and they have been pushing me to write yelp and other social media reviews. I've threatened to poorly review everything and even in the official BMW survey which will really impact my salesperson and the dealership. I will see how they respond, but I will at some point request a reimbursement to take the car to a detailer of my choice. I wonder if they will replace the scratched door trim.

Never again will I go to that dealership. It is BMW of Fremont for those of you curious. Will update if they make it right or explain themselves.
I am afraid they gave you more BS, no one needs to drive the car at all to get it up to temperature to check Oil levels or anything else at that service, also if they have damaged your car they need to sort it pronto.
      01-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #34
secksman
Rep
Drives: 2014 m5 CP manual trans

wait what is break-in service? i only have 2000 miles and I have been driving like a beast since the begninning, is this something--why didnt anyone tell me, is there supposed to be a service message?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #35
greentrbo95gst
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by secksman View Post
wait what is break-in service? i only have 2000 miles and I have been driving like a beast since the begninning, is this something--why didnt anyone tell me, is there supposed to be a service message?
      01-30-2014, 09:36 PM   #36
secksman
Rep

yeah so i did, and I read about 10 threads discussing minute details about this that and the toher, but no where can i find anything official or unofficial about whether this is something that I shoudl have a service message on or not. I purchased around $600,000 worth of bmws new this year (all my top mgmt got one) and i would like to know whether the salesman let me walk off the lot without telling me about this or what? can you help e out here?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 03:16 AM   #37
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Are you for real.
      01-31-2014, 06:34 PM   #38
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

It's just a car, these are first world problems. Move on. It's not worth getting stressed over.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 01:46 AM   #39
secksman
Rep

haha yes--you know that guy who knows nothing about cars but has a lot of money that bmw has been dumbing its cars down for? thats me. at least im honest. but im here to learn.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #40
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
haha yes--you know that guy who knows nothing about cars but has a lot of money that bmw has been dumbing its cars down for? thats me. at least im honest. but im here to learn.
Appreciate 0