Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 DIY Guides

06-02-2020, 06:58 AM   #1
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

where to put jack stands?

So I've versed myself in the jacking points, but where exactly do I put the stands once I have it jacked up? I thought about the side points, but with the (possibly) awkward way the stands would mate up to them (load being on part of the side of that piece, not the center), I was afraid they'd break. Do people have stands where the curved top is small enough to fit inside that piece?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
x35250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, Monte Carlo Blue

I personally wouldn't put the jack stands anywhere other than the lift points. I believe the official manual states only the lift points and the front subframe plate can be used to lift the car. Many people report using the rear differential cover without issues, but I'm hesitant to do that. I ended up getting a QuickJack lift for the house and it's been great, but it is also super expensive.

Here is what I recommend or would do if I could go back: https://safejacks.com/collections/rennstand

It basically is a jack pad that you convert to a jack stand after lifting the car up first. You attach the stand arms for raising, then remove them for lowering.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
x35250
Private First Class
Rep

Just realized I didn't really answer your question. Sorry.

I'm not aware of any jack stands that will fit inside the BMW lift point, but the Safe Jack I mentioned earlier has a pad adapter for BMW, Mercedes, etc. I think that in combination with the Safe Jack would work.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 12:51 PM   #4
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks, but ~$290 for a pair w/the pads? oof. I wonder if the pad alone would be usable with a regular stand. Probably too wide. Maybe I need to just hit up a friend with access to a lift, lol.

edit: actually, those Rennstand pads are 2.5", which would fit just right into my stand. I'd have to cut off the base tube that goes into the Rennstand though, hmm. I do already have a regular jack pad, but annoyingly it's 2.75" wide, which won't work. I wonder if the powerflex branded one or one of the others would be 2.5"

Last edited by vafan13; 06-02-2020 at 01:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #5
x35250
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafan13 View Post
Thanks, but ~$290 for a pair w/the pads? oof. I wonder if the pad alone would be usable with a regular stand. Probably too wide. Maybe I need to just hit up a friend with access to a lift, lol.

edit: actually, those Rennstand pads are 2.5", which would fit just right into my stand. I'd have to cut off the base tube that goes into the Rennstand though, hmm. I do already have a regular jack pad, but annoyingly it's 2.75" wide, which won't work. I wonder if the powerflex branded one or one of the others would be 2.5"
The QuickJack I bought was about $1500 total. If you're doing a lot of work and have enough space, I would highly recommend it. Saves a ton of effort (other than dragging the frames back and forth) and is relatively low maintenance. It is among the best home lift options since you can use the lift points and raise all corners simultaneously.

I saw the Rennlist stands after and thought it was a pretty innovative ideas, if it can clear your car. They seem popular with the Porsche guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 07:14 AM   #6
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x35250 View Post
The QuickJack I bought was about $1500 total. If you're doing a lot of work and have enough space, I would highly recommend it. Saves a ton of effort (other than dragging the frames back and forth) and is relatively low maintenance. It is among the best home lift options since you can use the lift points and raise all corners simultaneously.

I saw the Rennlist stands after and thought it was a pretty innovative ideas, if it can clear your car. They seem popular with the Porsche guys.
Yeah, I guess it's just a question of how much I'd use 'em. In the immediate turn I want to get my thrust arms out to have these monoballs put in (friend has a press). Other than that, mostly oil changes, as i have a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #7
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I read in an e9x DIY thread that someone put hockey pucks in the jacking points and that worked like a charm with jack stands. who would have thought!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #8
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 CP

Some interesting ideas on these threads:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...tand-placement

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727131
      06-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #9
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyfeller View Post
thanks. I think I'm going to end up trying to cut down two hockey pucks with a hacksaw. Unfortunately, I'm also now not sure I can fit my floor jack far enough under the front bumper to get to the front jacking point.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 02:24 AM   #10
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep

I see. So basically something like this.

I'm considering this as well. Maybe even considering keeping them permanently epoxied in there. I have side skirts to help hide them a bit.

This is a good idea whenever you have a flat or have to go to a tire shop. Those guys rarely have a jack pad. And even if they do, they're too lazy to use them unless you push them to. I always keep a jack pad, wheel hangers and torque wrench in the trunk. They're usually looking for the quickest way to get things done so it's on to the next one. Most of them think the plastic shrouds at the jacking points are rubber and can support the weight of they car. If they crush them they can care less, it's under your car and they will assume you'll never notice. Only the dealer jacks up the car correctly without you having to tell them. So addressing this jack point issue is good thing for everyone to consider.
      06-17-2020, 07:37 AM   #11
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I see. So basically something like this.
That looks to be more of an adapter for a jack/life (although it might work), whereas I'm talking about an adapter for a jack stand. Basically you just hacksaw part of the puck off, put that end up into the jack pad and the remaining curved portion is what rests in the U-shaped top of the jack stand.

Creating what's in the video is a bit more involved, but if one has spare pucks lying around and the tools, certainly cheaper than $20 a pop for ones off FCPeuro or whatever.

Last edited by vafan13; 06-17-2020 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 11:57 AM   #12
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep

Oh ok. I see what you're saying.

I just found a guy who did the exact idea I was thinking about. I'd probably use anodized aluminum ones instead just to prevent deformity issues. Just more ideas for everyone out there.

06-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #13
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh ok. I see what you're saying.

I just found a guy who did the exact idea I was thinking about. I'd probably use anodized aluminum ones instead just to prevent deformity issues. Just more ideas for everyone out there.
interesting. i think if we're just talking about lifts/jacks I'd also go aluminum. however, the poly ones might be better with stands. does seem like they get tore up, tho.

Also: one of the related videos gave me a good idea for how to get the jack under the front bumper: get the front wheels up on 2x4s. my current one might still be too tall, but a low-pro would then fit.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #14
rockyfeller
King of NYC
United_States
Rep

Yup, wood is always a quick easy way to buy you a couple inches. Any of us who have had a lowered car in the past know all the tricks. Haha.