M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

10-29-2021, 04:23 AM   #1
Euro5
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 430xi

M5 F10 maintenance issues

So I'm gonna buy an M5 F10 2013 with 50k miles and just wanted to know the maintenance I should really pay attention to and any modifications I can do to make the car more reliable?
Would really help if you guys responded thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
STL_MPWR
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I just recently purchased a 2012 F10 M5. I have complied a few things over the past two months. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Euro50.00
      10-29-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

unless you're confident they've been done at least once already, I'd replace plugs and coils, as well as all fluids (incl. trans and diff), for piece of mind. Probably not a bad idea to replace the engine air filters*, either. As far as ongoing things:
  1. do oil changes with a good 0w40/5w40 every 5K or so (closer to 7.5K is fine if doing a lot of highway cruising)
  2. be gentle on the gas and stay lower RPMs until the oil is warmed up
  3. check at least somewhat regularly for leaks. Coolant lines to turbos (under plastic engine cover) are the most common, but I've had leaks for the trans cooler lines and trans pan as well. Also note that while the main coolant (Driver's side) has a sensor to warn you of low fluid, the tank for the ECUs/charge coolers (pass side) does not.

Personally, I also mostly stick to sport+ throttle when doing either my back roads bashing or highway stuff, as the coolant temp target is 15C+ lower. I also pop my hood when parking in the garage as it lets things cool down faster. This is partly to get the fans to shut off sooner and partly because the engine bay gets hot and I want the turbos, and subsequently the heads/V they sit in, to cool down faster.

And if you're mostly city or otherwise short trips, I'd suggest turning off the (annoying) auto start/stop, or you might have issues keeping the battery charged.

*and throw the carbon filters in the garbage

Last edited by vafan13; 10-29-2021 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
      10-30-2021, 12:34 PM   #4
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
See if someone can inspect the pistons with a bore scope. If you plan on keep it for a while do the rod bearings as soon as possible.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
Euro50.00
      10-30-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
See if someone can inspect the pistons with a bore scope. If you plan on keep it for a while do the rod bearings as soon as possible.
Why the rod bearings? That's the e60's problem
Appreciate 1
Euro50.00
      10-30-2021, 04:44 PM   #6
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
I thought the same thing as I was in the hunt for an S85 for a while but couldn't find what I was looking for. My wife has a 550i and aside from the oil consumption it is/was a flawless experience. Only doing cursory research I bought my M6GC from a local dealer. It was locally owned, dealer maintained and I got to see the service records. Having spent a ton of time researching S85's I wasn't put off by the rod bearings being replaced and decided to buy.

Mine were replaced by bmw around 45k and then later seized under my ownership. I have read and spoken with countless others that have had the same issue or had rods bent or piston cracked.

I'd buy this car again in a minute but would shop with this experience in mind as it will impact the total cost of ownership.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 1
Euro50.00
      10-30-2021, 08:56 PM   #7
x35250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
I thought the same thing as I was in the hunt for an S85 for a while but couldn't find what I was looking for. My wife has a 550i and aside from the oil consumption it is/was a flawless experience. Only doing cursory research I bought my M6GC from a local dealer. It was locally owned, dealer maintained and I got to see the service records. Having spent a ton of time researching S85's I wasn't put off by the rod bearings being replaced and decided to buy.

Mine were replaced by bmw around 45k and then later seized under my ownership. I have read and spoken with countless others that have had the same issue or had rods bent or piston cracked.

I'd buy this car again in a minute but would shop with this experience in mind as it will impact the total cost of ownership.
How did you know the rod bearings were going bad? How much did that cost you, ball park?

My 2013 F10 M5 has been a very good car maintenance wise other than high oil consumption. The consumption has been a lot better while using LiquiMoly Molygen 5W-40. I have to put a quart in once every 1200 miles or so.

It was a lot worse before even with another quality oil like Motul X-cess. I needed a quart about every 700 miles. Not totally sure why the brand would make this difference when the oil weight was the same.

My car was a bit of a gamble as it had four owners before me with only 42k miles on it. The full maintenance history from BMW was good and I had an indy shop do a pre-purchase inspection. They only changed the coolant lines on the top of the engine block that typically goes bad but gave it a clean bill of health otherwise.

I now have 58k miles on it and had zero issues.

If you keep up with maintenance, I think these cars are pretty darn good even as the miles add up. They're not like your Toyota Camry that goes 200k miles without a single issue, but the Camry doesn't have 560 hp off the factory line either.
Appreciate 2
      10-30-2021, 10:51 PM   #8
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x35250 View Post
How did you know the rod bearings were going bad? How much did that cost you, ball park?

My 2013 F10 M5 has been a very good car maintenance wise other than high oil consumption. The consumption has been a lot better while using LiquiMoly Molygen 5W-40. I have to put a quart in once every 1200 miles or so.

It was a lot worse before even with another quality oil like Motul X-cess. I needed a quart about every 700 miles. Not totally sure why the brand would make this difference when the oil weight was the same.

My car was a bit of a gamble as it had four owners before me with only 42k miles on it. The full maintenance history from BMW was good and I had an indy shop do a pre-purchase inspection. They only changed the coolant lines on the top of the engine block that typically goes bad but gave it a clean bill of health otherwise.

I now have 58k miles on it and had zero issues.

If you keep up with maintenance, I think these cars are pretty darn good even as the miles add up. They're not like your Toyota Camry that goes 200k miles without a single issue, but the Camry doesn't have 560 hp off the factory line either.
Not sure how they were diagnosed the first time but most likely saw metal in the oil cap or filter. My most recent experience the engine seized.

The folks that rebuilt my engine, @rkautowerks, as well as others recommend running 15w50. It did slow the oil consumption and holds up better to the heat from these monster Camry's
Appreciate 2
      11-01-2021, 09:06 PM   #9
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL_MPWR View Post
I just recently purchased a 2012 F10 M5. I have complied a few things over the past two months. Hope this helps.
Dont use this info for your f10. This is for an e60 m5 not an f10 m5.
Appreciate 2
Euro50.00
      11-01-2021, 09:08 PM   #10
AnotherM
Cole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m5 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro5 View Post
So I'm gonna buy an M5 F10 2013 with 50k miles and just wanted to know the maintenance I should really pay attention to and any modifications I can do to make the car more reliable?
Would really help if you guys responded thank you
Should treat it how you would most cars in regards to a new purchase. Assume it hasnt been done unless you have records.

Oil change, spark plugs, coil packs, air filters.

Transmission fluid flush and diff fluod flush are going to be needed shortly as well.

Rod bearings should be done if you want to keep the car long term. Mine is at 58k and im changing the bearings on Wednesday. Documented issue with any s63tu and best t ok be safe than sorry in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
Euro50.00
      11-28-2021, 09:43 AM   #11
TOSLOW
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Great info. Thanks!
Appreciate 0