M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

06-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #1
TrustButVerify
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M, 2013 335ih

Northern Virginia Emission Test Feedback

Has anyone had issues with the Northern Virginia emissions test after modding and tuning? How did you fix it? Are there any DP, stage tunes, or exhaust setups to avoid?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 04:39 AM   #2
x35250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustButVerify View Post
Has anyone had issues with the Northern Virginia emissions test after modding and tuning? How did you fix it? Are there any DP, stage tunes, or exhaust setups to avoid?
NOVA does an OBD only check, so as long as the factory emission systems are in working order, you will be pass. Once you pass the first time, you can try to do use RapidPass, which is a mobile tailpipe sniffer they setup on the highway ramps. I think you can pass that as long as you don't go full catless downpipe.

My car is mostly stock, but I figured I would at least provide an initial answer. This forum takes a minute to generate replies especially when you narrow the focus or region.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
jcollege
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Just picked up my "new to me" M6 GC and had to get it through emissions. They only did a "visual" to see if the cats were there and then hooked it to the OBD. I have catless downpipes and a tune (clearly the tech had no clue where the cats are in our cars) and I passed...was a tense couple minutes though lol
Appreciate 1
      06-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
TrustButVerify
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M, 2013 335ih

Quote:
Originally Posted by x35250 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustButVerify View Post
NOVA does an OBD only check, so as long as the factory emission systems are in working order, you will be pass. Once you pass the first time, you can try to do use RapidPass, which is a mobile tailpipe sniffer they setup on the highway ramps. I think you can pass that as long as you don't go full catless downpipe.

My car is mostly stock, but I figured I would at least provide an initial answer. This forum takes a minute to generate replies especially when you narrow the focus or region.
Last time I had an emissions done in NOVA, they had an sensor attachment that clipped onto the tailpipe, so I immediately thought that was the sniffer. I've had the rapid pass done in my ActiveHybrid 3, but that cuts to idle at low speeds, so I have to take that test with a grain of salt.

According to the Virginia DEQ site, "Most 1996 and newer model year vehicles will receive a test of the vehicle's on-board diagnostic computer system instead of, or in addition to, the regular tailpipe emissions test."

Sounds like it is up to the station as to whether they want to do OBD or OBD + sniffer. Where did you have yours done?

https://www.deq.virginia.gov/Program...ectionFAQ.aspx
Appreciate 0