M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

10-11-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
phillyd
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 6MT

Installed Dinan sway bars, now have suspension noise

Hi all,

I had Dinan sway bars installed on my F10 M5 a couple of days ago. As soon as I got the car back I noticed that every little clunk and creak from under the car that I used to have now seems to be amplified 10x. It's like there is a mic under the vehicle sending the noises right into the cabin. The vehicle drives fine, but the suspension is very noisy on all but the smoothest of surfaces. I consulted with a friend who is a knowledgeable car guy and he reckons that the stiffer bushings in the Dinan sway bars are responsible for the noises, and they just need to be greased some more. I'm not entirely convinced with that explanation because even pre-existing suspension noises that came from other parts of the underbody (not related to the new bushings) are now louder.

Anybody here have a similar experience with these sway bars, or have any ideas on what's causing this?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 04:58 PM   #2
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
I haven't had any experience with their sway bars but if they use the harder polyurethane bushing you'll likely hear more noise. My experience with poly bushings on a C3 vette restore I did drove me bananas.

Supposedly if you dope em up with enough grease it can provide some relief from the noise.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 01:19 AM   #3
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

I've had no such issues with mine. If you press down on the car so that it noticeably moves up and down on the suspension, do you hear any creaking noise?

Poly bushings definitely like to be well greased.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:12 PM   #4
co_pa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 m340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd View Post
Hi all,

I had Dinan sway bars installed on my F10 M5 a couple of days ago. As soon as I got the car back I noticed that every little clunk and creak from under the car that I used to have now seems to be amplified 10x. It's like there is a mic under the vehicle sending the noises right into the cabin. The vehicle drives fine, but the suspension is very noisy on all but the smoothest of surfaces. I consulted with a friend who is a knowledgeable car guy and he reckons that the stiffer bushings in the Dinan sway bars are responsible for the noises, and they just need to be greased some more. I'm not entirely convinced with that explanation because even pre-existing suspension noises that came from other parts of the underbody (not related to the new bushings) are now louder.

Anybody here have a similar experience with these sway bars, or have any ideas on what's causing this?
op: did you get this resolved? your description of the noise sounds familiar. my post is below and a link to vid of noise here:
      12-24-2021, 07:24 AM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_pa View Post
op: did you get this resolved? your description of the noise sounds familiar. my post is below and a link to vid of noise here:
If still a mystery your best bet is to put it on a rolling road brake tester (but not to test the brakes) to pinpoint more where the noise could be coming from.
Appreciate 0