M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

07-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #45
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Beast_NYC View Post
Thanks for the DIY! How much quarts of oil do you normally put in?
Here ya go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Louis View Post
The oil capacity with filter is 8.50 L (8.98 qts), 8.00 L (8.45 qts) without filter. The filter housing and cover hold 0.50 L (0.53 qts).
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #46
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
So I just did my first oil change. I let it drip for a good hour. After filling with 9qts the measurement (after a quick warm up drive) was only at the middle between min and max, so I added a 1/2 qt with no change when reading again, then I added most of the qt but the reading is still not at the max reading....I don't wan't to overfill. Has anyone else run into this?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #47
ur20v
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

As reading is between the 'marks' and considering the amount - drive for a few days and then when fully warm (+20 minutes driving) check the level again.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 12:29 PM   #48
Anders R
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Touring

Reviving an older thread: Had an oil service done Friday, parked the car in my garage until Sunday, and when taking the car out, was greeted by a small puddle of oil. Upon investigating the oil appears to originate from around the area of the oil filter cut out, but difficult to be 100 % sure as there is also oil splashed in the area close to the oil plug.

Now, given that this was at an official dealer, how likely is it that it is just a sloppy mechanic who didn't pay attention when removing the oil filter, or would a pinched O ring from the oil filter or re-use (why!) of the oil plug with the old crush washer be more likely.

I dread getting the "Sir, your oil pan needs replacing due to a cross-thread of the oil plug"

Have an appointment on Friday, but after they have fixed this mess, a new dealer will take care of the M5
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #49
finlandm5f10
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10&Audi RS6 C7 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
So I just did my first oil change. I let it drip for a good hour. After filling with 9qts the measurement (after a quick warm up drive) was only at the middle between min and max, so I added a 1/2 qt with no change when reading again, then I added most of the qt but the reading is still not at the max reading....I don't wan't to overfill. Has anyone else run into this?
M5 f10 needs oil 9,5l And if you Measurement dont show overfill you will be good. Just add 0,5 more it is max. 😊
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #50
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

got 2 questions:

1. On the E9X M3, there was a plug for both the oil pan and the oil sump. Can people confirm indeed, there's only 1 drain plug for the S63?

2. In the picture below, the red circle is confirmed to be the oil pan plug. But what's the round black piece to the left? Looks like an oil filter housing cap to me.

11-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #51
finlandm5f10
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10&Audi RS6 C7 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
got 2 questions:

1. On the E9X M3, there was a plug for both the oil pan and the oil sump. Can people confirm indeed, there's only 1 drain plug for the S63?

2. In the picture below, the red circle is confirmed to be the oil pan plug. But what's the round black piece to the left? Looks like an oil filter housing cap to me.

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #52
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Ok, after the question being raised about a year ago, and nobody answering, I decided I might as well answer. I'll attach some pictures although most things will be pretty obvious once you're under the car.

The oil change on an F10 M5 is pretty basic, but there are a couple of tips to make things a little easier and/or less messy. There are also two tools I recommend - one necessary and the other that just makes things easier.

First, if you can find the oil pan drain plug (it's not in any way hidden), you'll know what to do; it's like almost any other drain plug you've ever seen. Unscrew it and the oil will drain. One thing I do before opening the drain is loosen the oil filler cap under the hood; it helps the oil drain. When installing the drain plug it should be torqued to 25Nm (18.4 ft. lbs.) with a new crush washer. The oil capacity with filter is 8.50 L (8.98 qts), 8.00 L (8.45 qts) without filter. The filter housing and cover hold 0.50 L (0.53 qts).

The harder part is the oil filter that is reached from below the car, next to the oil pan. The bottom of the engine block is covered by a metal plate; it's actually a subframe cross brace. There's also one behind the diff at the rear. There is an opening in it to access the oil pan and drain plug and another opening to access the oil filter that is located above the cross brace.

The only real way to unscrew the filter cover is with BMW tool 119240 or an equivalent specialty tool, unless you want to try to use one of those big "plier-type" that grips the filter cover, likely damaging the plastic filter cover, and you don't mind burning your arms on the nearby hot exhaust pipe. I have an Assenmacher Specialty Tool (www.asttool.com) 86.5 MM, 16 flats socket - AST tool number V410. It uses a 22MM socket or wrench. Almost any generic slip-on filter wrench will be too big to fit through the hole in the subframe cross brace.

One of the biggest problems is getting the filter off without dumping oil all over the top of the cross brace. The filter cover covers only about half of the filter and the filter housing holds half a liter of oil. That means if you just unscrew the filter cover completely you'll dump about one-quarter liter of oil. At the dealer, where the techs rarely have time, the tool of choice to try to avoid this is "cardboard." What I do is after I've drained the oil pan I unscrew the filter cover until the rubber o-ring just clears the bottom of the threads; this allows the "excess" oil to run over the filter cover (and the tool) and into my oil lift drain. I let it drip for about 15 minutes at which time it's easy to unscrew the cover all the way and pull the cover with the attached filter straight down without spilling any more oil. No oil gets on the top of the cross brace. I pour a little less than one-fourth quart of oil into the filter before installing it to help get the oil flowing on startup. I then put 8 quarts in the engine, start it and check for leaks then go for a drive to warm the oil to operating temperature, check the oil level then top it up to full with the 3/4 quart left from the oil I put in the filter.

If you look at the Assemacher Specialty Tool (www.asttool.com) online catalog take a look at AST's tool number OFAUD1000; it's a funnel with a fitting on the bottom just like the fitting on the oil filler cap. A quarter twist and it locks on the oil filler tube. You don't need to hold it and it can't move; makes adding oil neat and fast.

I'll try to attach a few pictures, although the oil change process is pretty basic -- other than avoiding the spilling of oil when removing the filter.
FYI, tischer confirmed this is the filter cap tool that'll fit the S63:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/partloca...catalogid=4462
      10-24-2021, 10:34 PM   #53
kjdeion21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M40i  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Ok, after the question being raised about a year ago, and nobody answering, I decided I might as well answer. I'll attach some pictures although most things will be pretty obvious once you're under the car.

The oil change on an F10 M5 is pretty basic, but there are a couple of tips to make things a little easier and/or less messy. There are also two tools I recommend - one necessary and the other that just makes things easier.

First, if you can find the oil pan drain plug (it's not in any way hidden), you'll know what to do; it's like almost any other drain plug you've ever seen. Unscrew it and the oil will drain. One thing I do before opening the drain is loosen the oil filler cap under the hood; it helps the oil drain. When installing the drain plug it should be torqued to 25Nm (18.4 ft. lbs.) with a new crush washer. The oil capacity with filter is 8.50 L (8.98 qts), 8.00 L (8.45 qts) without filter. The filter housing and cover hold 0.50 L (0.53 qts).

The harder part is the oil filter that is reached from below the car, next to the oil pan. The bottom of the engine block is covered by a metal plate; it's actually a subframe cross brace. There's also one behind the diff at the rear. There is an opening in it to access the oil pan and drain plug and another opening to access the oil filter that is located above the cross brace.

The only real way to unscrew the filter cover is with BMW tool 119240 or an equivalent specialty tool, unless you want to try to use one of those big "plier-type" that grips the filter cover, likely damaging the plastic filter cover, and you don't mind burning your arms on the nearby hot exhaust pipe. I have an Assenmacher Specialty Tool (www.asttool.com) 86.5 MM, 16 flats socket - AST tool number V410. It uses a 22MM socket or wrench. Almost any generic slip-on filter wrench will be too big to fit through the hole in the subframe cross brace.

One of the biggest problems is getting the filter off without dumping oil all over the top of the cross brace. The filter cover covers only about half of the filter and the filter housing holds half a liter of oil. That means if you just unscrew the filter cover completely you'll dump about one-quarter liter of oil. At the dealer, where the techs rarely have time, the tool of choice to try to avoid this is "cardboard." What I do is after I've drained the oil pan I unscrew the filter cover until the rubber o-ring just clears the bottom of the threads; this allows the "excess" oil to run over the filter cover (and the tool) and into my oil lift drain. I let it drip for about 15 minutes at which time it's easy to unscrew the cover all the way and pull the cover with the attached filter straight down without spilling any more oil. No oil gets on the top of the cross brace. I pour a little less than one-fourth quart of oil into the filter before installing it to help get the oil flowing on startup. I then put 8 quarts in the engine, start it and check for leaks then go for a drive to warm the oil to operating temperature, check the oil level then top it up to full with the 3/4 quart left from the oil I put in the filter.

If you look at the Assemacher Specialty Tool (www.asttool.com) online catalog take a look at AST's tool number OFAUD1000; it's a funnel with a fitting on the bottom just like the fitting on the oil filler cap. A quarter twist and it locks on the oil filler tube. You don't need to hold it and it can't move; makes adding oil neat and fast.

I'll try to attach a few pictures, although the oil change process is pretty basic -- other than avoiding the spilling of oil when removing the filter.
Thanks this was very helpful... I am not sure why BMW changed the location of the oil filter, perhaps it is because there is no where to fit anything in that tight engine bay.

I was looking for that part or tool to open the filter housing so thanks for that.
Appreciate 0