Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #23
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
I dont I just dont think saving a few lbs on a winscreen would be worthwhile on a car thats nearly 2 tonnes
Measured the thickness of windscreen by the A pillar with markers coming back from shopping and it's about 1.5 to 2mm,no more.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 05:11 PM   #24
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Measured the thickness of windscreen by the A pillar with markers coming back from shopping and it's about 1.5 to 2mm,no more.
This is a very interesting conversation.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:22 AM   #25
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
This is a very interesting conversation.
It's important mate as it's affecting quite a few owners including F90 ones who have had cracks in screens even after minor hits and then had to deal with the insurance. It's probably a good idea to update your insurance cover if all that's on the policy is to replace with their chosen repairer.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 03:10 AM   #26
hawker1986
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Personally I dont feel its the repairer thats the issue - the issue is arguing for an OEM screen rather than a generic one. Any of the windscreen companies can source a genuine screen if they were asked to.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58907.50
      04-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #27
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
It's important mate as it's affecting quite a few owners including F90 ones who have had cracks in screens even after minor hits and then had to deal with the insurance. It's probably a good idea to update your insurance cover if all that's on the policy is to replace with their chosen repairer.
I'm insured through axa. Their terms state that they will not pay more than £100 for replacement or £50 for repair if i didn't use their approved repairer.

I would guess that their approved repairer would be Autoglass. Question is, would Autoglass supply genuine if requested?

Not that I have a problem at the moment but thought I'd join in the conversation.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #28
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
I'm insured through axa. Their terms state that they will not pay more than £100 for replacement or £50 for repair if i didn't use their approved repairer.

I would guess that their approved repairer would be Autoglass. Question is, would Autoglass supply genuine if requested?

Not that I have a problem at the moment but thought I'd join in the conversation.
It's a worry, a car or especially a lorry coming the other way could launch a stone that crunches that thin screen apparently quite easily and clearly having a non OEm would likely render the hud and other things u/s.
You could always chase the lorry/car,take the number and put a claim against the driver with camera footage and sound..and why not, too many bods getting away with causing damage even like this.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #29
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
It's a worry, a car or especially a lorry coming the other way could launch a stone that crunches that thin screen apparently quite easily and clearly having a non OEm would likely render the hud and other things u/s.
You could always chase the lorry/car,take the number and put a claim against the driver with camera footage and sound..and why not, too many bods getting away with causing damage even like this.
This is a really good point.

I checked my camera and I think my screen was cracked by either a pothole or speed bumps, home made variety. The pothole would have been a legitimate claim in the same way a damaged wheel would be. I did a moderate pothole in my town at 30mph in a 430 once, the damage £ done to the car was horrendous.

Never thought about it from a windscreen perspective.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #30
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Here we go. I'm starting to believe our windshields must have a design flaw. Driving along at 35MPH, I heard a pop. When I looked up, two rather long cracks began running northwest from the passenger side up toward the rear view mirror. I would guess they are at least 2 feet long and intersect twice. Not good.

Now I need to read back through this thread to see what to expect or not to accept from my insurance company. Photos attached below right after it happened.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:50 AM   #31
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Insist on genuine BMW branded screen, its well publicised that none genuinie brands cause havoc with HUD, plus you want the BMW logo too
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 03:31 AM   #32
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
Here we go. I'm starting to believe our windshields must have a design flaw. Driving along at 35MPH, I heard a pop. When I looked up, two rather long cracks began running northwest from the passenger side up toward the rear view mirror. I would guess they are at least 2 feet long and intersect twice. Not good.

Now I need to read back through this thread to see what to expect or not to accept from my insurance company. Photos attached below right after it happened.
Just to add to this thread..... My last car was a 535D with HUD and I had a stone thrown up by a lorry travelling in opposite direction whilst I was doing 80mph, the result was obv a huge chip and some slight crack runs along the laminate glass.... spoke to insurance explaining that I needed a specific hud screen which they ensured they could fit. A 3rd party company came to my house with said screen to fit, I asked if it was Bmw which the installer said "No" I kicked off, but again he said all would be fine! So I left him to it, 2hrs later I nervously started the car, and low and behold the hud looked perfect, checked auto wipers and the fit which seemed good, so I accepted it. I kept the car for 3 more years and it was perfect the day I sold it so I reckon it's all dependant on the screen installer/company the insurance uses on wether you get a competent job done!! There are aftermarket screens that DO work. GOOD LUCK!
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58907.50
      04-16-2020, 12:15 PM   #33
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Went with the OEM windshield for POM. Installer is 1 hour into the job. So far so good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0