M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

09-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
BaseBob05
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Meisterschaft GTC - Cutout Replacement

Hey everyone. New owner here, just picked up a 2013 M5 with a Meisterschaft Cat Back GTC exhaust with electronic valve control. The valve control was not working properly and the valves were stuck closed. I took it to a muffler shop, and they confirmed it was getting power, and determined the cutout motors were bad (both sides). They said the exhaust cutout part was actually a Summit Racing part, and that it was not original.

They said they could replace with the identical part from Summit (which they said was low quality and advised against), or they could put in a whole new cutout system from DigiPower. They did not say what the OEM part was for the Meisterschaft system, I don't think they looked for it.

After reading some forums, it seems like the QTP cutouts might be OEM? Or at least commonly used with the system. The part is a little bit more than the Summit part, and slightly less expensive than the DigiPower option. Would the QTP be the advised way to go, or any recommendations to go with the Summit or DigiPower options?

The other part of the question is reasonable cost for a shop to install. The shop was quoting approximately $450 in labor to replace with the Summit cutout, and about $1000 to install the DigiPower, stating that they needed to replace wiring and mounting hardware. Looking at the cutout for Summit (and QTP), it seems like the installation should be very quick and straightforward, especially given that the electrical is already present and it's just a swap out. What would a reasonable labor cost be to install the QTP or Summit part?

Thanks everyone, excited to be a part of the community!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 12:54 AM   #2
vtune
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Hey,

I have the same exhaust and if you look closely the valves are marked as QTP. They are known to seize. All brands are. They need constant service which is a pia.

I suggest you manually open the valves and see how you like it. You get used to it quickly and it sounds awesome. I neber want my valves closed. However, if you have catless downpipes than it's another story.

Install is a headache. 5 hours /$500 total sounds fair. $1000 is not.

Best of luck and please post your results for others.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
BaseBob05
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtune View Post
Hey,

I have the same exhaust and if you look closely the valves are marked as QTP. They are known to seize. All brands are. They need constant service which is a pia.

I suggest you manually open the valves and see how you like it. You get used to it quickly and it sounds awesome. I neber want my valves closed. However, if you have catless downpipes than it's another story.

Install is a headache. 5 hours /$500 total sounds fair. $1000 is not.

Best of luck and please post your results for others.
Wow thanks for the info. Yes the shop pulled the part number off of the existing cutouts and confirmed they are actually Summit Racing cutouts, but I found the QTP model that would go with this system. I was hoping the install wouldn't be too bad since all of the wiring is already in place, and the shop did confirm power and signal were not a problem. When I asked if I supplied the cutout parts how much they would charge, they said probably $300-400 as they estimated it based on a 3-4 hour job. That doesn't seem too bad.

When you say they need regular service, what would that entail? Is that something I'd need a shop to do or that I can do myself?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #4
vtune
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

i believe cleaning of the valves, maybe with wd40
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 02:34 PM   #5
BaseBob05
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtune View Post
i believe cleaning of the valves, maybe with wd40
cool, thank you for the tip.

I was able to manually open the valves, had to fight the motor which was stuck, but got them fully open. Sound is AMAZINGLY better. I'm just gonna leave it like that for now. I'll eventually replace those cutouts but for now, the sound is nice and I'll leave them open.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 09:45 PM   #6
longnvu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 E92 E60 F30

Whats the part number for the valve, im trying to find a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 10:00 PM   #7
BaseBob05
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnvu View Post
Whats the part number for the valve, im trying to find a replacement.

https://www.lmperformance.com/104161...-kit-pair.html

That's the link to the part that would be direct replacement for the system. I didn't end up replacing mine; I got the valves forced open and they stay like that, sounds so good I don't care about not being able to close them haha!
Appreciate 0