M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-03-2020, 03:07 PM   #1
Matthew_W
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Why does my car bong at me when I unlock it?

New owner sorry if it's a dumb question. when I unlock the car and jump in the car is bonging at me. Almost like the low temp I got on previous BMW, but the temp isn't low. The only lights on are the park / hand brake. It stops after a bit.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:22 PM   #2
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

It would display a message on instrument cluster??
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #3
Matthew_W
Rep

No message, just that the e-brake is on and P engaged, as far as I can tell. I'll try and grab a shot / vid of it. I could of course be totally stupid and be missing the obvious.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:55 PM   #4
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
do you have the seat belt on when it does it?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:03 PM   #5
Matthew_W
Rep

. Please ignore me hitting the phone with the door ;-)

This is weird, just recorded that, then saw the question about seat belt, no as I'd only just got in. However went to try it again and no bongs. Could it be somehow how I am stopping the car?

I stop, apply e-brake then switch off, can't recall if I press stop start once, exit and lock or if I press stop twice to kill the radio / check it's gone to park. Second time around I didn't start the car or drive in between (as it's rather late here)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #6
JW_ATL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BWM M5

Double check that you don't have the headlights in on position instead of automatic.
      01-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #7
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I know... It's because your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car

All kidding aside, when you turn off the engine after driving, do you press the start/stop button while the engine is in gear? I do this, then press it again to shut everything off. You're probably not shutting the car off completely?
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #8
Matthew_W
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HXS View Post
I know... It's because your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car

All kidding aside, when you turn off the engine after driving, do you press the start/stop button while the engine is in gear? I do this, then press it again to shut everything off. You're probably not shutting the car off completely?
I did wonder if it was objecting to the steering wheel being on the right side of the car. (It's on the right get it)

Normally I stop the engine and leave the power on then lock with the key to terminate everything. I stupidly feel cool walking away with the radio on and remotely turning it off. Is that 'wrong'. Never seem to upset my other BMWs.

Headlight was on auto. Thanks for the suggestion.

Didn't bong today. Maybe I pressed stop twice. Will have to pay more attention!
Appreciate 1
JW_ATL345.50
      01-10-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_W View Post

This is weird, just recorded that, then saw the question about seat belt, no as I'd only just got in. However went to try it again and no bongs. Could it be somehow how I am stopping the car?

I stop, apply e-brake then switch off, can't recall if I press stop start once, exit and lock or if I press stop twice to kill the radio / check it's gone to park. Second time around I didn't start the car or drive in between (as it's rather late here)
thats just the door chime u dorks!!

and somebody already stole my "its bc the steering wheel is on the wrong side" joke

if you were cool youd have the more subdued rolls-royce gong effect coded like me
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
Matthew_W
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
Quote:

thats just the door chime u dorks!!

and somebody already stole my "its bc the steering wheel is on the wrong side" joke

if you were cool youd have the more subdued rolls-royce gong effect coded like me
What is a door chime?

It's stopped doing it now.....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is a door chime?

lol.. its the noise cars make when you are inside and the door is open with the key in the ignition.

in the olden days it happened when you put that prehistoric fossil called a 'key' into the prehistoric crevice called 'the ignition slot' and if the door was open it chimed to let u know a door was open. if u leave headlights on and open the door, the chime changes to be more frenetic.

cars also chime when you put the key in and turn it to ACC

in our cars however, it is recognizing your key's signal once you enter, and its saying "hey, ding, ding, the door is open, close it and let's go!"

it will make a different chime and send messages to idrive and/or speedometer if after shutoff u dont set 'Park' (not parking brake)or if you leave headlights on and open the door
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #12
Matthew_W
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post
Quote:
What is a door chime?

lol.. its the noise cars make when you are inside and the door is open with the key in the ignition.

in the olden days it happened when you put that prehistoric fossil called a 'key' into the prehistoric crevice called 'the ignition slot' and if the door was open it chimed to let u know a door was open. if u leave headlights on and open the door, the chime changes to be more frenetic.

cars also chime when you put the key in and turn in to ACC

in our cars however, it is recognizing your key's signal once you enter, and its saying "hey, ding, ding, the door is open, close it and let's go!"

it will make a different chime and send messages to idrive and/or speedometer if after shutoff u dont set 'Park' (not parking brake)or if you leave headlights on and open the door
How do you set park on a DCT?
I'm sure there is an icon for open door, and that wasn't showing. Not that it wasn't the open door, maybe that only shows if you start the car?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #13
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do you set park on a DCT?
I'm sure there is an icon for open door, and that wasn't showing. Not that it wasn't the open door, maybe that only shows if you start the car?
you set Park by leaving it in gear and turning it off.
if you put it in Neutral and turn it off. tap the ignition button once more and it puts it in PARK.
-the car def bongs at you if you open the door and its not in PARK.. and if u pop the hood. etc etc

honestly what is in the video is just its welcome chime as far as i know

but in the vid there is a green indicator on in the speedometer, i think thats the corner lamp on light.. it could be chiming bc that. The headlight switch knob looks like it is set to auto and if that is the case and like in the video it is at night the auto switch will turn on parking lights when you unlock and open the door so when you get in and it recognizes your key and you are in the car and the parking lights are on it is chiming to let you know that the lights are left on, or that they are on at all.

but nothing abnormal at all is going with your car
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #14
Matthew_W
Rep

It's weird, I must being doing something differently because it hasn't done it again.

I tend to put the hand brake on and turn off in gear (one start stop press only). Lights I leave on auto all the time.

It's bugging me that I don't know why it happened. If you don't hear from me again, I'll be on the drive turning it on and off again, repeat!

Cheers guys.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #15
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's weird, I must being doing something differently because it hasn't done it again.

I tend to put the hand brake on and turn off in gear (one start stop press only). Lights I leave on auto all the time.

It's bugging me that I don't know why it happened. If you don't hear from me again, I'll be on the drive turning it on and off again, repeat!

Cheers guys.
here is your answer. your parking lamps were just on. the green indicator in the speedo.

Last edited by BeachM5nster; 01-11-2020 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #16
Matthew_W
Rep

Just tried twice more

1) unlock get in, don't close door hit start with feet off pedals. Bong and message ignition on

2) unlock get in, close door, hit start, no bongs or message.

Lights auto and dark here. Thanks for all the ideas so far :-)
Appreciate 0