M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #23
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webby12 View Post
Im still rocking a 50 inch haha
Me too and it's a 12+ year old plasma.
      05-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
The room our 75” is in measures 20’ x 15’ and the couch is about 12’ from the TV. The ceiling is 22’ though, so we could use a little bigger TV to cover some wall space.
It's not about how much wall space you have. It's all about seating distance.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #25
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webby12 View Post
Im still rocking a 50 inch haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Me too and it's a 12+ year old plasma.
Same here. The Pioneer 1010HD I have is at least 12 years old. But I'm starting to think about replacing it as my daughter got a hold of the remote and screwed with the color display mode. Ended up screwing up some pixels in the middle of the screen and on the lower left corner. Fortunately, it's only present when specific colors have to be displayed.

The Pioneer 141FD I have....absolutely no complaints about it. Might replace the 1010HD with the 141FD and look into an OLED. Only reason being, I'm intrigued by the black level and HDR performance. Had the 1010HD not develop the pixel problems, I would just stay put with the plasmas I have.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410880.50
      05-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #26
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Same here. The Pioneer 1010HD I have is at least 12 years old. But I'm starting to think about replacing it as my daughter got a hold of the remote and screwed with the color display mode. Ended up screwing up some pixels in the middle of the screen and on the lower left corner. Fortunately, it's only present when specific colors have to be displayed.

The Pioneer 141FD I have....absolutely no complaints about it. Might replace the 1010HD with the 141FD and look into an OLED. Only reason being, I'm intrigued by the black level and HDR performance. Had the 1010HD not develop the pixel problems, I would just stay put with the plasmas I have.
Interestingly my plasma is also a Pioneer. We have a Panasonic 42” plasma in the bedroom that we bought at the same time but I always felt the Pioneer was far superior. I expect that if I put a new TV with newer technology right next to it, the new one would blow it away. So I don’t do that. .

Eventually it will be replaced but I’m trying to hold out as long as possible. We do need to buy something smaller for a vacation condo we are closing on this summer so I hope that doesn’t ruin my Pioneer for me.
zx10guy5139.00
      05-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #27
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Interestingly my plasma is also a Pioneer. We have a Panasonic 42” plasma in the bedroom that we bought at the same time but I always felt the Pioneer was far superior. I expect that if I put a new TV with newer technology right next to it, the new one would blow it away. So I don’t do that. .

Eventually it will be replaced but I’m trying to hold out as long as possible. We do need to buy something smaller for a vacation condo we are closing on this summer so I hope that doesn’t ruin my Pioneer for me.
Depending on what generation Pio you have, they are still very respectable TVs...even with modern standards. My 141FD is just simply stunning. More so after being ISF calibrated by D-Nice from AVS Forum. He also calibrated my 1010HD.

At this point, 4k means nothing to me as my room/seating position doesn't justify it. What is still very relevant which many people gloss over is black level performance and color accuracy.
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410880.50
      05-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #28
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

You can get a projector and go way bigger than 75"
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:37 PM   #29
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Projectors require a very specific environment for them to work the best. Also, for me, I would need to have a good acoustically transparent screen which most likely will require a special EQ.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #30
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Personally would not touch Samsung or LG, both have a history of severe QA problems and atrocious customer service.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2019, 01:17 PM   #31
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
First check out www.rtings.com

Also, I've been a CEDIA professional for decades. I have a lot of experience here.

Personally I wouldn't buy an LG if it wasn't an OLED.

OLED is (as someone else said) really for a light controlled (dark) room. This inherently makes them better suited for movies (in a dark room) rather than sports (watched in a brighter room). OLED can get completely black, but struggle to get bright. The other thing I don't like... well beyond the image-retention issue... is I don't think OLEDs handle the image extremes very well. They get completely black, but their performance just above completely black is nothing great. Pros often refer to this as "shadow detail." As for max brightness, there is no question, they struggle.

Samsung QLED strong point is color. That is why I believe people like them so much. They are arguably the best at rendering color. Weak point is motion performance. They handle motion ok, it's just that SONY does it better.

SONY XBR is my personal preference. I like their calibration and signal processing capabilities. They have two very good presets (Cinema Home and Cinema Pro) for those that don't get their panel professionally calibrated. This alone is worth it for people not having a pro tweak their set. SONY also rules motion performance.

SONY color uniformity (a sensitive issue for LCD panels) is at least as good as Samsung, if not better, but this literally varies from set to set. I suggest you check your set's individual performance in the darkest room you can find before accepting delivery.
      05-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #32
NCThreePedals
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4/Audi Q8/F15 Diesel

I'm in the industry, so same as appliances DO NOT BUY SAMSUNG. It is garbage with poor back lighting and horrible picture uniformity. People gravitate towards Samsung because it is aesthetically pretty but that's where it ends.

Get a Sony and Sony only. do not go lower than the 900 series, they will be compromises in the 75 in realm as you have backlit or full array dimming.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 06:45 PM   #33
Fender150
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Thanks for the advice guys, I was leaning towards the xbr 950g, then started looking at the oled a9g instead
Appreciate 0