Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #45
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
I suppose this ceramic coating is the latest version of the "crystal shield" or whatever that was from a few years back.

Like I said, the most important thing is that you use some type of sealant (carnuba included), and apply regularly enough so that the finish isn't going unprotected for a while.

I don't recommend carnuba because it doesn't last very long if you do your detailing research. I also used it all my life until the last couple years but have moved on because the synthetic sealants are easier to work with and are more durable, last longer so I can "wax" less often. Carnuba looks good and a lot of people like the look better, so it's a fine choice if you are up for waxing more frequently.

From my years of California experience I'd say that 6 months between waxing with carnuba is way way too long and paint isn't getting good protection, especially in the summer. If you want to stick with carnuba, wax more often, like every month or two if your car lives in the real world. And get a good carnuba, a real carnuba block is quite hard not all super soft and melty, because it is solvents and other additives in the mixture that make it so soft.

And get a random orbital regardless of what sealant you choose. The machine is much more capable of pushing the sealant into the microscopic terrain of the paint surface that messing with a pad in hand and using "elbow grease" to apply to the whole car.
I find carnuba wax is a bit harder to polish off than normal polish waxes obviously because of the wax content and turning the cloth and doing one panel at a time is the way to go.Not really keen on using a power pad.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #46
thxbuff2001
Dictator for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: To many

The F10 is pretty dirty at the back but I brought out e39 first to clean. It was left in the garage for a while as it had a big dent that was pdr and now its going to be back for driving duty. I always remind my kids do not rub the paint of the cars but they cant help it. So you can see how thick the dirt it.

It will be dropped off the dealer and I want to clean it first before dropping it off. I always tell them not to clean any of my cars.
Attached Images

09 Ferrari SCUDERIA Rosso Corsa
23CayenneGTSCoupe
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 05:15 PM   #47
FishTheStampede
Registered
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I paid for a full detail service

and all I got was paint swirls
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #48
thxbuff2001
Dictator for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: To many

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishTheStampede View Post
and all I got was paint swirls
When the dealer do an oil change, they put grease inside the car. Atleast they washed the car when they give it back.
09 Ferrari SCUDERIA Rosso Corsa
23CayenneGTSCoupe
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #49
M5Rick
General
Rep

Washed it with Meguirs then carnauba waxed,no swirls on my paint and I'll give the ceramic seal guys a run for their money AND put the dealer car wash to shame
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 06:24 PM   #50
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Gents, look into Jescar Powerlock plus Collinite 845. Supposedly, it's a pretty high level of protection (almost as good as 9H ceramic) and when maintained w/ P&S Beadmaker, it rivals a ceramic coating. Thing is, it doesn't last as long. That's the combo I'm going to use on my F10. If after a few attempts it doesn't work as well as people say, I may bite the bullet and do the ceramic coating (Cquartz or Geyon) myself. Should last at least 1 year.
      05-21-2019, 12:24 AM   #51
GiddyAssassin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW M5 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
Gents, look into Jescar Powerlock plus Collinite 845. Supposedly, it's a pretty high level of protection (almost as good as 9H ceramic) and when maintained w/ P&S Beadmaker, it rivals a ceramic coating. Thing is, it doesn't last as long. That's the combo I'm going to use on my F10. If after a few attempts it doesn't work as well as people say, I may bite the bullet and do the ceramic coating (Cquartz or Geyon) myself. Should last at least 1 year.
Rivals a ceramic coating on what way? It's hydrophobic properties?

You must be an Obsessed Garage dude
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      05-21-2019, 03:30 AM   #52
M5Rick
General
Rep

Carnauba all the way and apply lengthways to clinically clean car not round and round to stir the swirls
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:09 AM   #53
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiddyAssassin View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You saw me coming a mile away lol! Yep, I'm an OG. We'll see how well this combo works. If it's too finicky to get it right or doesn't protect well, I'll prob switch over to ceramic and just do it myself.
      05-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #54
GiddyAssassin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW M5 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
You saw me coming a mile away lol! Yep, I'm an OG. We'll see how well this combo works. If it's too finicky to get it right or doesn't protect well, I'll prob switch over to ceramic and just do it myself.
I follow his channel and content as well. It was a genuine question as I am currently trying to decide on the wax/sealant versus coating for my new M5. You are talking in terms of smoothness and hydrophobics not life? I am tempted to just go the wax/sealant route being I intend to do a weekly maintenance wash and then use a drying aid. I'm currently using Ammo Hydrate, but want to try Bead Maker and Gyeon WetCoat (not at the same time) once this is gone.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #55
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I follow his channel and content as well. It was a genuine question as I am currently trying to decide on the wax/sealant versus coating for my new M5. You are talking in terms of smoothness and hydrophobics not life? I am tempted to just go the wax/sealant route being I intend to do a weekly maintenance wash and then use a drying aid. I'm currently using Ammo Hydrate, but want to try Bead Maker and Gyeon WetCoat (not at the same time) once this is gone.
smoothness, hydrophobic properties but certainly not life and hardness. Also, ease of cleaning/maintenance. For the 4-6 months this combo "should last", my understanding is that w/ beadmaker as a topper/drying aid, it should be decent. The caveat being that beadmaker isn't super easy to get he application right.

I'd like to try ceramic coating on my wife's X5, simply for low maintenance, but I'm a bit scared to take the plunge and apply it myself.

How do you like Hydrate? Beadmaker has been great, even as a stand alone but it is a bit finicky to get right. If it's too humid, it doesn't apply well.