05-15-2019, 04:34 PM   #1
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

When buying CPO

Hi,

This may be a general question. I was browsing through some BMW dealers sites who are selling their cars certified and noticed -

1. Interior has not been detailed.
2. Still missing a tow hook or cigarette lighter cover.
3. Wheels still have curb rash (seen in the pictures they post).
4. Tires seem used.

My question is:

Does CPO mean the above needs to be fixed or the car needs to be mechanically sound?

Does the dealer offer you a certificate or include it in your contract that the car is CPO'd?

Any clarity or current drivers who got their car CPO'd assist?
      05-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #2
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

My CPO was a gorgeous. Might want to stipulate refreshing the car before you buy.

Yes it comes with a certificate of sorts. Not that formal though. I used it to get a cash rebate from BMW CCA.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:18 AM   #3
pcohen15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5, Singapore Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by pTron View Post
Hi,

This may be a general question. I was browsing through some BMW dealers sites who are selling their cars certified and noticed -

1. Interior has not been detailed.
2. Still missing a tow hook or cigarette lighter cover.
3. Wheels still have curb rash (seen in the pictures they post).
4. Tires seem used.

My question is:

Does CPO mean the above needs to be fixed or the car needs to be mechanically sound?

Does the dealer offer you a certificate or include it in your contract that the car is CPO'd?

Any clarity or current drivers who got their car CPO'd assist?
Mine was in like-new condition, including new tires. Sounds like the one you saw hasn't been refreshed yet.
      05-16-2019, 06:09 AM   #4
core22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i / 911 C4S

I've seen many offered as CPO, but in reality they are listed the day of, or in the days before, a lease return. I've never seen one not cleaned up or missing anything, unless they specifically mention that it was a lease turn-in the day before and had not yet been through the cleanup process. I've purchased a handful of CPO cars, and all had new tires, which is one of the justifications they charge more for a CPO. On my recent CPO I noticed the carpets were wrong, commented this to my SA, and they promptly ordered a new set.

Of note during my search to trade in my 2013 for a later model I found an example offered as a CPO and had everything I was looking for; CP, Akra, B&O, and more. Went to the dealer, about an hour from me, to check it out. They didn't have it yet and expected it in the following week or so. In the following days I found out it was acquired through an auction and they were going to put it through the CPO process. Also found out it was highly modified prior, and had a history of liens. I never followed up further, and I cannot say if they sold it a CPO or not, but I'd be surprised if it did, given the mods (some still were on the car, based on info received from someone here who knew the car well).

Past:
2013 911 C4S | 2019 X2 M35i | 2015 M5 Comp | 2013 M5 | 2013 640i | 2010 535xi | 2007 525xi

Last edited by core22; 05-16-2019 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 0