Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

10-03-2019, 06:06 AM   #1
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Steering wheel wobble at 100mph

I have had new discs and pads and new tyres all round and when the car is doing 100mph the steering wheel has a really bad wobble.

I had both fronts re-balanced and its still there.

Next step is to have the wheels balanced on a Hunter GSP 9700 machine that is a lot more precise than a regular balancer.

The wheel wobbles severely so something is wrong

Anyone else had this or used a Hunter machine

https://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/road-force-elite
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

Did you have this issue prior to replacing tires and brakes? I had this issue with my oe pirelli tires and went away after I went with ps4s. Only thing is now I have tire pull to the right. Smh. So I would suspect out of round rim or tire at this point.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      10-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Check your pressures too
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      10-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Guys

Yes its always been there but I thought it was due to the discs being warped as I had brake judder as well

Tyre pressures are all good
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #5
Boosted M5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 m5

That vibration is what killed your brakes to begin with. Fix asap or you'll be changing brakes all over again
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

How old are the tires? They need to be road force balanced to find flat spots.... they may need to be replaced if there are flat spots that are not coming out with driving.

Road force balancing to confirm then probably new tires. Its your front tires if you are feeling it in the steering wheel.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 2
OneExtra809.50
      10-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #7
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
How old are the tires? They need to be road force balanced to find flat spots.... they may need to be replaced if there are flat spots that are not coming out with driving.

Road force balancing to confirm then probably new tires. Its your front tires if you are feeling it in the steering wheel.
Bingo. I had this same issue after my tires had about 30% tread remaining. Replaced the tires and completed a high speed road force balance and it went away.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 02:29 AM   #8
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I know you had your fronts replaced with ps4s's and they are relatively fresh from the worn p zero's you had, so I can't see the problem in the tyres, surely they can't be bad casts from the injection mould.
*Worth checking the front anti roll bar mounting security.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      10-04-2019, 03:53 AM   #9
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted M5 View Post
That vibration is what killed your brakes to begin with. Fix asap or you'll be changing brakes all over again
Booked in for dynamic balance and alignment check on Saturday, if that doesnt fix it it will be off to BMW for a warranty check
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 03:55 AM   #10
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I know you had your fronts replaced with ps4s's and they are relatively fresh from the worn p zero's you had, so I can't see the problem in the tyres, surely they can't be bad casts from the injection mould.
*Worth checking the front anti roll bar mounting security.
The company I spoke with who are doing the work said they fix 99% of issues and people travel from hours away to get to them, they will check everything obvious and then if its say a drive shaft issue or whatever else it may be will go to BMW
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 08:05 AM   #11
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

I too had this on my m6, dealer diagnosed warped discs which were replaced under warranty, 99% of the issue fixed, had wheels balanced, the shop identified an ever so slight out of roundness with both front tyres, will live with it until i need new fronts

By the way you should not be doing 100mph
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      10-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #12
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

All four tyres and the front discs and pads were replaced 1500 miles ago.

I had all four wheels and tyres road force balanced today and they were all balanced incorrectly by the previous tyre fitter, the company today removed 120gsm of weights from before to after, all four wheels are now perfect

I also had the Hunter Laser alignment which showed that the rear camber was out by a lot so this was corrected

Total cost £115

The car now feels totally different, it puts the power down better as the camber has improved and it feels very smooth and easy to drive and steer.

However

At 90mph+ I am still getting steering vibration, it’s not as bad as the front wheels are now perfect but something is still out of balance.

Having now ruled out the wheels it can go to BMW for potential warranty work as clearly something isn’t right.

Pleased that the car is night and day better but annoyed that something else isn’t balanced correctly
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58893.00
      10-06-2019, 03:59 AM   #13
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Front control arms are a common issue on the M5. My dealer's computer system actually says replace both sides if steering wheel vibration is present.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 04:11 AM   #14
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Front control arms are a common issue on the M5. My dealer's computer system actually says replace both sides if steering wheel vibration is present.
I will mention this to my local dealer much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 05:15 AM   #15
BalSingh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E31, F20 and F10

FWIW - I had the same issue. Firstly it was very slight around 110+ so decided to have the front wheels balanced at the same time as having my rear tyres replaced.

This actually made it 10x worse!

As OneExtra I just had the alignment checked, rear cambers out and front right toe out of threshold also. Car drives better than ever, but I get the same wobbling albeit very very feint and at much higher speed...

The car has been lowered on Eibachs (not confirmed) by previous owner so that would make sense about bushes being worn.

Powerflex would be the obvious choice when uprating bushes; are there any other recommendations?
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      11-10-2019, 05:56 AM   #16
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalSingh View Post
FWIW - I had the same issue. Firstly it was very slight around 110+ so decided to have the front wheels balanced at the same time as having my rear tyres replaced.

This actually made it 10x worse!

As OneExtra I just had the alignment checked, rear cambers out and front right toe out of threshold also. Car drives better than ever, but I get the same wobbling albeit very very feint and at much higher speed...

The car has been lowered on Eibachs (not confirmed) by previous owner so that would make sense about bushes being worn.

Powerflex would be the obvious choice when uprating bushes; are there any other recommendations?
Powerflex only make bushings for the front lower arms, if these are worn then you would save a lot of dosh going for powerflex. I used them on mine and were around £120, this beats the arm price of 300-400 each (not sure on the actual figure now). This is obviously providing the ball joints are ok, otherwise you have no choice but to get the arms.q
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #17
BalSingh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Powerflex only make bushings for the front lower arms, if these are worn then you would save a lot of dosh going for powerflex. I used them on mine and were around £120, this beats the arm price of 300-400 each (not sure on the actual figure now). This is obviously providing the ball joints are ok, otherwise you have no choice but to get the arms.q
Good shout, don’t think I will go for the ‘Black’ range...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #18
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalSingh View Post
Good shout, don’t think I will go for the ‘Black’ range...
I just went for the standard powerflex road bushes, the black series would be too stiff.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 01:59 AM   #19
BalSingh
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I just went for the standard powerflex road bushes, the black series would be too stiff.
Agreed. Used to have them on my e46 and they were too stiff for road use.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #20
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

OneExtra I had a similar thing on mine (but it was from about 80mph). Does your steering creak at all? BMW replaced the offside wheel bearing and lower control arm in the end to sort it. Was covered under warranty as well
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 07:54 AM   #21
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmclark View Post
OneExtra I had a similar thing on mine (but it was from about 80mph). Does your steering creak at all? BMW replaced the offside wheel bearing and lower control arm in the end to sort it. Was covered under warranty as well
Hi Sam

Hope you are well mate

Not sure as the car has been with BMW for the last 6 weeks getting the seat cover and foam replaced, I will mention it to them though as they have not looked at it yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #22
dsmclark
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Hi Sam

Hope you are well mate

Not sure as the car has been with BMW for the last 6 weeks getting the seat cover and foam replaced, I will mention it to them though as they have not looked at it yet.
6 weeks?? blimey! All good tho mate, works been crazy! Hows things your end?

I could replicate mine by putting my foot on the wheel and pushing (as BMW had it and claimed nothing was wrong!)
Appreciate 0