BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

07-10-2019, 01:06 AM   #1
mattkerby1
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 2014

M5 F10 Front Brakes

Hi All,

Following a lot of threads on OEM brakes v's aftermarket I went about to try and solve the problem and share my results which turned out to be more cost effective than buying OEM - and when the rotors wear, an even cheaper replacement.

This set up has been design by myself and currently over 2000 miles in with superb results. My set up consists of

1. Pair of 410x36mm (hook) rotors.
2. Floating aluminium bells, hard anodised black
3. AP racing 1/4" bolt fitting (bobbing) kit
4. 7mm Aluminium spacers for caliper offset
5. Pads machined to suit 122mm Radius (bell clearance)

Must say really really happy with it and how it turned out, combined with the braided hoses and racing fluid is an amazing upgrade. Only down side is with floating discs - even with this sprung loaded bobbing kit can be a little noisy with the 'hook' design in the rotors. Do not get any squeal what so ever from the EBC yellow stuff pads which I am testing with this setup.

Off to the 'ring' in 2 weeks and feeling a lot more confident on the brake performance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      07-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #2
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Look good, how much did it all cost?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
mattkerby1
Rep

In total I spent just under £1,000, but that was including the designing time (CAD) and machining of the pads on my CNC machine.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      07-23-2019, 05:47 AM   #4
JuniorM3
Captain
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 CP GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkerby1 View Post
Hi All,

Following a lot of threads on OEM brakes v's aftermarket I went about to try and solve the problem and share my results which turned out to be more cost effective than buying OEM - and when the rotors wear, an even cheaper replacement.

This set up has been design by myself and currently over 2000 miles in with superb results. My set up consists of

Must say really really happy with it and how it turned out, combined with the braided hoses and racing fluid is an amazing upgrade. Only down side is with floating discs - even with this sprung loaded bobbing kit can be a little noisy with the 'hook' design in the rotors. Do not get any squeal what so ever from the EBC yellow stuff pads which I am testing with this setup.

Off to the 'ring' in 2 weeks and feeling a lot more confident on the brake performance.
Good job! Sent you a PM
      07-29-2019, 04:51 AM   #5
JuniorM3
Captain
Ethiopia
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 CP GT3

Quote:
Hi All,

Hi Matt,

I sent you more PM's.
      07-30-2019, 02:32 AM   #6
mattkerby1
Rep

Sorry away on holiday at the moment will be back next week to reply.
Apologies for the delay guys.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
b21playa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LCI e60 535d msport

Would have been interested but just brought discs/pads all round from the dealer
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 01:45 PM   #8
Pitch_M5
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw M5 F10

Those brakes look quality

Last edited by Pitch_M5; 08-25-2019 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #9
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
Hi All,

I would suggest using the money you saved to purchase a set of jack stands. Using your wheel isn't ideal should something go bad. I'm jus saying
Appreciate 0