M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

01-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
Rocketsoda
'13 M5
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Parking Brake Frozen?

Hey everyone,

Need some help. Would it be possible for the parking brake to freeze and refuse to disengage? Had to leave the car outside overnight and it was very cold. This morning the parking brake did not disengage and I got a parking brake malfunction error. I removed the center console and turned the red switch under but had no luck. Is there another spot to disengage the brake? Should I just leave it alone till the weather warms?

Help me!!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I'll try. There are two park brake motors on the rear callipers.If the car is level in a safe spot then jack up the rear securely and safely then remove the 2 wheels. Apply a heat gun to unfreeze the motors.Best to hold it at a distance and slowly do them and it should release, don't try to release too quickly, do each side for about 5 mins each and they should give.Then don't apply p/brake again if parking outside put it in Park and a chock under wheel.Good luck!
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
Rocketsoda
'13 M5
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
I'll try. There are two park brake motors on the rear callipers.If the car is level in a safe spot then jack up the rear securely and safely then remove the 2 wheels. Apply a heat gun to unfreeze the motors.Best to hold it at a distance and slowly do them and it should release, don't try to release too quickly, do each side for about 5 mins each and they should give.Then don't apply p/brake again if parking outside put it in Park and a chock under wheel.Good luck!
Tried a heat gun today but I didnt jack up the car and remove the wheels. No luck though, guess it was still too cold. If it doesnt unfreeze I'll get it towed to a shop. Sucks that there is no manual emergency release though. Honestly it's a flaw
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsoda View Post
Tried a heat gun today but I didnt jack up the car and remove the wheels. No luck though, guess it was still too cold. If it doesnt unfreeze I'll get it towed to a shop. Sucks that there is no manual emergency release though. Honestly it's a flaw
Just looked at the weather there -19c tonight damn thats cold.Not much else I can suggest so good luck with the park brake motors defrosting
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #5
Rocketsoda
'13 M5
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Just looked at the weather there -19c tonight damn thats cold.Not much else I can suggest so good luck with the park brake motors defrosting
Used a heat gun without jacking up the car and removing the wheels. It worked!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep

Well,there you go!
Appreciate 0