M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-31-2020, 06:08 PM   #1
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3/09 e90 335d/13 f10M5

Blackstone had my heart stop

2 month m5 owner here. Serviced the Trans, Diff, and Engine Oil.

Sent it to Blackstone and their first comment was on the rod bearings. Was about to crap myself. All seems good per attached.

Not sure if this report will help anyone or not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:14 PM   #2
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

I completed 2 samples within the last oil changes. Interesting comparisons of our samples. The sample on the right was a 10k mile interval while the one on the left was a 5k mile interval.

Are you doing your own oil changes?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:42 PM   #3
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I did the diff and trans myself. The place I bought the car off of (Byers Auto Columbus) which is reputable gave me a free change. I'm going to change every 5K at the most.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:43 PM   #4
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweattdogg View Post
I did the diff and trans myself. The place I bought the car off of (Byers Auto Columbus) which is reputable gave me a free change. I'm going to change every 5K at the most.
And all future oil changes will be FPC euro by myself as I try to do all work myself. I will use Blackstone tho. With these cars seems crazy not to.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep

Waking up an relatively old thread. I'm changing from Liquid Moly 5w40 to Ravenol 0w40 this weekend. I will obviously do an oil analysis as well.

To give some background. I purchased the car with approximately 15k miles and used BMW 0w30 oil up to 70k miles religiously at 10k intervals. There was a need to add a quart of oil in between services as you would imagine. Nothing out of the ordinary there. The car has been bone stock through the 70k mile mark and I've had zero mechanical problems since day 1 of ownership. After 70k I changed to the green blood Liquid Moly 5w40 at 5,000 mile intervals. I've done 3 oil changes on the LM along with oil analysis from Blackstone on every change. I also have the oil analysis comparing the BMW 0w-30 to the LM 5w-40. My iron PPM on the BMW oil was 22 which was a little high considering universal averages are 17. Nothing to be overly alarmed with.

After one oil change with LM my iron PPM dropped to 13 which is well below the averages. Since then I've done 2 additional changes with LM and to be honest I didn't noticed any operational changes.

After the 3rd LM change from BMW I added a stage 1 tune from BPM. Along with the tune I changed out the coil packs and plugs as well. Since the tune I dropped my intervals to 3500 miles. The oil change this weekend will be the first change with the new plugs, coils and tune. I will submit another Blackstone analysis so it will be interesting to see how the oil behaved relative to the mods. I'm
Now sitting at 85k miles.

As you can imagine with the mileage this is a daily driver. I am however concerned with adequate coverage on cold starts and the spirited runs she gets at least 3-4 times a week. With that said, I've done my homework and decided to move to Ravenol 0w40. I will do the same as I did with Liquid Moly and perform analysis on every oil change. I will post comparisons and any operational changes on how the car feels and behaves.

Wish me luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the post. I plan on updating it every year. My m5 is not a daily, but I will certainly change the oil every year. Let me know how you like the Ravenol 0w40 and if it helps the need between top offs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxwil View Post
Waking up an relatively old thread. I'm changing from Liquid Moly 5w40 to Ravenol 0w40 this weekend. I will obviously do an oil analysis as well.

To give some background. I purchased the car with approximately 15k miles and used BMW 0w30 oil up to 70k miles religiously at 10k intervals. There was a need to add a quart of oil in between services as you would imagine. Nothing out of the ordinary there. The car has been bone stock through the 70k mile mark and I've had zero mechanical problems since day 1 of ownership. After 70k I changed to the green blood Liquid Moly 5w40 at 5,000 mile intervals. I've done 3 oil changes on the LM along with oil analysis from Blackstone on every change. I also have the oil analysis comparing the BMW 0w-30 to the LM 5w-40. My iron PPM on the BMW oil was 22 which was a little high considering universal averages are 17. Nothing to be overly alarmed with.

After one oil change with LM my iron PPM dropped to 13 which is well below the averages. Since then I've done 2 additional changes with LM and to be honest I didn't noticed any operational changes.

After the 3rd LM change from BMW I added a stage 1 tune from BPM. Along with the tune I changed out the coil packs and plugs as well. Since the tune I dropped my intervals to 3500 miles. The oil change this weekend will be the first change with the new plugs, coils and tune. I will submit another Blackstone analysis so it will be interesting to see how the oil behaved relative to the mods. I'm

As you can imagine with the mileage this is a daily driver. I am however concerned with adequate coverage on cold starts and the spirited runs she gets at least 3-4 times a week. With that said, I've done my homework and decided to move to Ravenol 0w40. I will do the same as I did with Liquid Moly and perform analysis on every oil change. I will post comparisons and any operational changes on how the car feels and behaves.

Wish me luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
vinsanem5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus ISF/ '16 M5

Quote:

Wish me luck.
did you still require top offs when using the 5w40 and are you switching to 0w40 for stictly better coldstart flow/protection?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
x35250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, Monte Carlo Blue

Subscribed! Interested to see your results with Ravenol.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep

@vinsanem5 and Sweattdogg I currently don't have the need to top off between changes. Just looking for better protection due to the tune and overall mileage.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 09:20 PM   #10
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep

Oil has arrived. Will hopefully get it done this weekend.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 02:26 AM   #11
F10m513
Private
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Updates
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #12
Blaxwil
Captain
Rep

So I've done 2 oil changes on Ravenol 0W/40 and in short, I won't have a 3rd with it. I'll be returning back to Liquid Moly. See the attached Blackstone analysis after the 1st change. Note I had to add a quart of oil midway through a 5,000 mile interval. The Blackstone report attached comes from the above mentioned oil change. Now I'm on my 2nd round of Ravenol and I had to add yet another quart about midway through. The last time I had to add a quart of oil was when I went 10,000-12,000 miles on BMW oil. I didn't have that issue with LM hence my sole reason for going back to it.

Ravenol did warm up considerably faster than LM. I'm not sure if this was due to additional engine friction or from its properties. With the quicker warm ups, I could push the car higher up in revs a lot sooner from a cold start. The other issue is the price difference. $160 versus $75 for 10 liters. I would have certainly stayed with Ravenol despite the price difference had I seen better results.

Blackstone came back and said this was a nice report and that I could try for a longer interval between oil changes but to me it's not worth it if I need to add a quart. Something isn't adding up so therefore "I'm OUT" as they would say on Shark Tank.

I await the comments. Hope you all have been safe during these Corona days.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:11 PM   #13
M5_Raz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
So I've done 2 oil changes on Ravenol 0W/40 and in short, I won't have a 3rd with it. I'll be returning back to Liquid Moly. See the attached Blackstone analysis after the 1st change. Note I had to add a quart of oil midway through a 5,000 mile interval. The Blackstone report attached comes from the above mentioned oil change. Now I'm on my 2nd round of Ravenol and I had to add yet another quart about midway through. The last time I had to add a quart of oil was when I went 10,000-12,000 miles on BMW oil. I didn't have that issue with LM hence my sole reason for going back to it.

Ravenol did warm up considerably faster than LM. I'm not sure if this was due to additional engine friction or from its properties. With the quicker warm ups, I could push the car higher up in revs a lot sooner from a cold start. The other issue is the price difference. $160 versus $75 for 10 liters. I would have certainly stayed with Ravenol despite the price difference had I seen better results.

Blackstone came back and said this was a nice report and that I could try for a longer interval between oil changes but to me it's not worth it if I need to add a quart. Something isn't adding up so therefore "I'm OUT" as they would say on Shark Tank.

I await the comments. Hope you all have been safe during these Corona days.

The weight is probably why you're having to add a quart on 0W40 Ravenol vs 5W40 LM. I'm interested in what a blackstone for 0W40 M1 would look like. I've burned half a quart in the last 1000 miles.

An interesting point to note, my manual states 0W40 or 0W30 only.
Appreciate 0