M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

05-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #23
smashhell
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

@MI6
Also you know Audi never gives discounts. Since They always don't have enough inventory.
On top of that, did you see the newly released option list for the M5? Almost everything is standard in that car. You can get a decently equipped M5 for BASE price. O_O
      05-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #24
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
Sigh.

Is this really that HARD to understand?

Audi like BMW publishes HP figs that are lower than the true power output.

This is NOT news.

More than likely the Audi S6 is putting out close to 460- 470 which explains some of this. That coupled with car magazines often posting ridiculous numbers and times is not unexpected.

The real time is more likely 4.0-4.2. Still incredibly fast for this car and it's price.

Oh wait- we don't know the price.

This is Audi people- expect a decently equipped S6 to run 90-95k..... That's only about 10k cheaper than a nicely packaged M5....

-Bond
James Bond is here, huh M5 (3 people in car) vs RS6 (2 people)

Last edited by bm323; 05-12-2012 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #25
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

I havent raced anyone 0-60mph since high school.

Show me a car that can pull away from me FROM 60mph to 160mph and thats a car I want to buy.
      05-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #26
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post

It does not surprise me that the S6 jumps faster given it is AWD. The M5 will absolutely eat it once it gets up and running and stops spinning its wheels (which I am finding a real issue, or at least the electronic intervention to stop the wheels spinning is an issue)
Hi Aussie, the wheel spin / problematic traction, what gears and what circumstances do you find it occurs? like, minimal or half throttle in first gear from a standing start? or accelerating hard in second? any advice from the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #27
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

I find it occurs:

1. on hard acceleration from a standstill
2. on hard acceleration in 2nd gear
3. on hard acceleration in 3rd gear
4. moderate acceleration in 1st, 2nd and 3rd on a 90 degree corner
5. moderate acceleration in 2nd and 3rd on a less sharp curve

There are probably other situations which I have forgetten about. The light on the dash really does flash a fair bit to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #28
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phish_100 View Post
It was 4 wheel drive so puts the power down from rest much better.
Yes from all the reviews so far the AMG Merc and the M5 have so much power/torque that it becomes a problem at times putting that power down to the road....the S6 with AWD has less power but does it albeit more effectively with AWD involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M View Post
I am also pretty sceptical about the M5 3.7 to 60 mph time. The only way they could have done that is in perfect conditions. And probably with a roll out too which really makes the time meaningless.

It does not surprise me that the S6 jumps faster given it is AWD. The M5 will absolutely eat it once it gets up and running and stops spinning its wheels (which I am finding a real issue, or at least the electronic intervention to stop the wheels spinning is an issue)
That said with the increased HP/torque both the M5 and AMG Merc will definately catch the S6/S7 down the straight and have faster 100mph times as well! More steam to get rolling but once it does...the S6 is at a hp/torque disadvantange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Don't get me wrong, I would rather have an M5 if money was not involved, but it is! just like why I bought a C63 over the M3, I would have loved to own either and prefer BMW, but I was able to get the MErcedes for $12,500 off sticker (brand new) and BMW would only give me about $4,000 off (Mercedes had a huge corporate incentive back in 2009 when the economy was crashing). Same goes here, if I can get the S6 for $20K less that would be hard to pass up, lots I could do with that extra $20K, take the family on some nice vacations!
On a strictly emotional decision yeah price would go out the window and if pockets are endless then yeah too..its buyer's choice. However you cannot knock $20-25k discount of the S6 over the M5 and the AMG! Not in this economy even for those with job security and doing well. I doubt they just ignore that kinda of money saved. As said above...that's college tuition or family vacation or investment or better yet mod money on the table to consider! I'd think hard on that one myself!

I ended up with an A7 myself instead of a 535i Xdrive or any of the Mercedes offerings last July. BMW 550i was available but at the price point went with the Audi instead as the M5 was not available yet. I had come from my second M3 an e92 coupe and have done two M schools and a performance delivery so am very familar with the M and BMW brand). Can't knock the Audi; its very quick and interior and styling are top notch..other than exhaust vocals and yes I do agree it is NOT an M which you do miss at times! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by singularity View Post
C&D results
M5 0-100 mp/h: 8.3
Audi S6 0-100 mp/h: 9.2

Considering Audi's AWD and M5's RWD, at 100 mp/h M5 will be about 9 car lengths ahead, even more a roll. Audi S6 is more a competitor to a Mercedes E550 4matic and BMW 550i xDrive (and new M550d xDrive), and those are all more than $20k cheaper than M5. It's the AWD vs RWD which is helps S6 have equal 0-60 time, after that it gets destroyed. Let's see what the new RS6 will be capable of, I raced an RS6 (C06) yesterday and it was barely visible in the mirror when I was at 300 km/h.
Now the RS6/7 will be the car to compare to! I'd like to see that compared to the M5 for sure as that will be my next upgrade. Am looking at the M5 but there are other options. Wife has a Panamera also and find it to be a great car albeit in the V8, or GTS, or 4S offerings...Turbo is just unreal power and of course $$! LOL However doubt we'll get an RS-6/7 here in the US though.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #29
mdh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Sigh.

This is NOT news.

More than likely the Audi S6 is putting out close to 460- 470 which explains some of this. That coupled with car magazines often posting ridiculous numbers and times is not unexpected.

The real time is more likely 4.0-4.2. Still incredibly fast for this car and it's price.

This is Audi people- expect a decently equipped S6 to run 90-95k..... That's only about 10k cheaper than a nicely packaged M5....

-Bond
Yes, it is hard to understand. Even if the Audi was running 470 HP, the trap speed of 115 is as high as the E60 M5 with 500 HP and a lower weight. Their is also no way a standard E63 without the PP runs a 12 flat with that kind of trap speed. That is equal to the best I've seen for the 550 HP PP version.
C/D 'corrects' their numbers based on atmospheric conditions, and this causes some of their results to be way too quick.

I'll bet you that we don't see any timeslips of a stock Audi S6 or a non-PP E63 running those kind of numbers.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #30
///mkid
Rep
Drives: fixie bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh
Quote:
Sigh.

This is NOT news.

-Bond
Yes, it is hard to understand. Even if the Audi was running 470 HP, the trap speed of 115 is as high as the E60 M5 with 500 HP and a lower weight. Their is also no way a standard E63 without the PP runs a 12 flat with that kind of trap speed. That is equal to the best I've seen for the 550 HP PP version.
C/D 'corrects' their numbers based on atmospheric conditions, and this causes some of their results to be way too quick.

I'll bet you that we don't see any timeslips of a stock Audi S6 or a non-PP E63 running those kind of numbers.
I beg to differ about the Non PP E63.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MqCzthEynmM
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #31
mdh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mkid View Post
I beg to differ about the Non PP E63.

This video makes my point pretty well. While it shows a non PP Merc getting close to the E.T., the trap speed is what you would expect of a 500 HP car. The E.T. is largely determined by the launch, and the torque the car puts to the ground in the first few hundred feet. This dragstrip obviously has really good traction, probably better than what they had for the Car and Driver test.

The video shows 12.08 @ 116 and change for a non-PP Merc. 12.0 sec at 124 mph, shown in the Car and Driver test, is in a different league as far as engine horsepower. Trap speed is the best indication of horsepower, not E.T. An 8 mph difference in trap speed in basically the same car indicates a 50-100 hp advantage.

The 124 mph shown in Car and Driver is BETTER than any trap speed I've ever seen on a PP Benz, so I think we just have to chalk that up to an overly optimistic 'correction factor'.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #32
mdh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
It really doesn't matter as all three cars times would have been adjusted. So if the E63 and the S6 can't achieve those times than neither can the M5.
C&D times has always been .3-.5 faster than normal.
You've got a good point - even with the time adjustments, evidently the Audi ran even with the M5 up to 60, then lost ground quickly, and the Merc ran even the whole way. I can believe the Audi result as a comparison, but the non-PP Merc being even with the M5 doesn't make sense. The M5 should easily outrun a non-PP E63, and should be dead even with the PP version.
Appreciate 0