BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

12-24-2011, 10:13 AM   #67
turbo8765
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

4 page pissing contest with zero useful information.... nice

The crank numbers posted by the dyno are based on a coast down measurement of drive train losses. If you believe this dyno, it shows that the factory hp rating is accurate and the the drive train is VERY inefficient.

For the record, I found an e92 ESS VT-1 on 91 octanne that made 444 whp on the same type of dyno...

Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the special Olympics, you're still retarded
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #68
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
4 page pissing contest with zero useful information.... nice

The crank numbers posted by the dyno are based on a coast down measurement of drive train losses. If you believe this dyno, it shows that the factory hp rating is accurate and the the drive train is VERY inefficient.

For the record, I found an e92 ESS VT-1 on 91 octanne that made 444 whp on the same type of dyno...

http://www.goodspeedperformance.com/...ge-one-kit.jpg

Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the special Olympics, you're still retarded

How do you figure this is efficient? that is a 20 percent drivetrain loss with a DCT (which has same losses as a manual). A "normal" loss from cars 15-20 years ago was 15 percent for a manual. This is more than it should be IMO. I do not know anything about this dyno but 20 percent drivetrain loss is a ton if that is indeed the numbers accurately.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #69
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

It would be helpful if they'd put a bone stock E60 M5 on the same dyno to compare.
      12-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #70
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post
Are you serious?

I don't think you understand what regulations are. Please google "EPA". As much as people complain about "HP & TQ" wars I would bet a single dollar that many people would not buy a BMW unless it was producing numbers relative to it's competitors. People are suckers for numbers, and BMW understands that.

However, due to various government mandates in various countries it is important that BMW, and every other manufacturer, start producing more efficient engines. The easiest way to do this is forced induction. More power, better fuel economy (potential). It's simple. It has nothing to do with soul.

2002 Turbo anyone? Does it not have soul? Come on. I'm so sick of all this complaining about turbos.

I never attacked you. I never asked you to know your regulations, I stated an opinion, that if you are tired of hearing, don't read. Its that simple.

Check out the dozens of discussion threads on this subject of "needing to go FI because of 'Regulations'". Merc seems to be able to get the power without going FI on everything, as does Ford and GM......I would refer to Porsche but with rumors and reports they are asking for relief on the regulations, we can't use them until that is cleared up. Nor can we drag in Audi until we really see how their RS line shapes up over the next few years, but I suspect they will be able to be added to my example list.

There are a lot of reasons why ///M has decided to turn to FI that go far beyond "regulations". What about the fact that they are catering to the torque idiots out there that have no understanding of gearing, TQ to the wheels or the concept of needing to actually "drive" the car to get it to perform, rather than just pushing the start button and the pedal on the right. What about the countless number of individuals who want to be able to brag to their neighbors and friends that their dick is bigger? Of course, lets not forget the "cost savings" argument.

I have said over and over and over again that the ///M5 caters to a different crowd and has a different purpose than the ///M3, so maybe this car and its S63 is better aimed at that crowd than the screaming S85 did. However, the e39 did a great job of catering to that crowd WITHOUT going into limp mode. I love FI cars, especially the new N20, great engine, just drove it in a new 5 for a few days, damn fine piece of engineering. But what I look for from a series BMW is different from an ///M adjusted car. Just like a truck has different purposes then a sports sedan. Don't ask one to what the other is supposed to do, because you just wind up with neutered version that does neither's job great.

So before you quote regulations, take a second to look at the whole picture rather than continuing to drink the koolaid served to you by the other BMW M division.....marketing. Better yet, if you don't like a forum member's opinion that was stated in response to an article, not another member's opinions, just keep reading and fight the urge to attack someone.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #71
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG3356MT View Post
+1 The combination of power and fuel economy is amazing with forced induction. Let's not even start talking about after market tuning. Simple piggyback tunes make 335i's keep up with M3's. All for about 500 dollars. Crazy vaule.
Damn it, I should've bought a 335. It can be as fast and endearing as an M3, all it needs is a $500 tune
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 08:44 AM   #72
davidkotok
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
Damn it, I should've bought a 335. It can be as fast and endearing as an M3, all it needs is a $500 tune
yeah but you have a limited slip and one of the greatest naturally aspirated engines ever made
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #73
KG3356MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Xdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG3356MT View Post
1 The combination of power and fuel economy is amazing with forced induction. Let's not even start talking about after market tuning. Simple piggyback tunes make 335i's keep up with M3's. All for about 500 dollars. Crazy vaule.
Lol I would take a 1M before an M3 any day of the week. Turbos ftw. Now I have my sights set on the next M3