M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-06-2021, 02:02 AM   #1
Stelios619
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

To lower, or not to lower

I think I’ve gone all the way back to 2017 threads trying to research the topic, but I want to get a fresh opinion.

2016 M5 with competition package, so it’s already lowered 10mm (roughly 3/8”).

The rear wheel gap is actually fairly close to optimal according to my eyes, but the front needs to come way down. Like, potentially an inch.

So I’m asking three separate questions here.....

1) The advertised lowering of springs from H&R, KW HAS, Dinan, etc, seem to advertise the drop on NON competition package cars. So will any of them get me that proper rake so my car doesn’t look like it’s getting ready to race in the Baja 500?

2) Are the above mentioned springs rated to match the Comp package valving? I want to lower the car, but not at the expense of handling

3) Will my car ride like an F-350 afterwards? The Dinan kit, for example, advises to only lower the car 3/4” (Another 3/8” on top of my current springs) for best ride quality. I don’t mind firm, or the ability to feel the road, but I don’t want an overly diminished ride.

Not the best picture, but it should hopefully illustrate how the rear looks great, but the front needs work.

Thanks guys!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 05:46 AM   #2
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Frozen Blue

I was in a similar situation last year and decided to opt for the KW HAS system, since I had several KW products before and their quality plus customer service is top notch!

1. My LCI M5 is a CP and I lowered the rear axle just a bit, since it sits almost perfectly in stock height. The front was lowered quite a bit, but I still have plenty of thread left to go even lower. In my personal case, it's a compromise between daily usability and looks. If mounted correctly, it should allow you to go as low as you anticipate!

2. The ride quality is certainly stiffer now and the 3 dampener settings are not quite as different anymore, the whole setup feels more sport like, basically no difference between comfort and sport. The handling in corners improved, but a full kit like KW V3 or V4 is required to drastically improve the car's behavior.

Overall, I'm happy with the setup for the price, a full coil over would gain more driving benefits, but at a way higher expense and total loss of EDC. You can't go wrong with either DINAN, KW or H&R, all reputable brands.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0