Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
speedster77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,E46 M3 6MT, 335d MSport

Whining sound between 800-1300 rpm

Hi all,

Need your help with diagnosing a weird noise. Had drivetrain malfunction 3 weeks ago, took it to the dealer and they replaced the injector, ignition coil and spark plug for cylinder 4. They also noticed the upper oil pan gasket was leaking so they replaced that. When they kept the car overnight they noticed some oil on the floor and found the oil pan gasket they replaced was leaking again and so they replaced it again. They say that the gasket was faulty; whether that was the case or the tech messed up, I don't know.
Anyway I got the car back and it drove fine home. Next morning I started it and it started as normal. After waiting for a couple of minutes I gave it some gas and I am hearing a weird whining sound between 800-1300 rpm. It happens when in park and in drive. After about 10-15 minutes the noise goes away. It's very audible in the cabin but hard to hear in the engine bay when the hood is open. When I started the car after 3 hours again (after driving 20 miles), the whining noise came back, so it's not only present on cold start.
It almost sounds like some motor noise to me but I am not sure. It's not high pitched like a typical belt or pulley sound. Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue? It doesn't get captured on video but does on audio recording however this forum doesn't allow audio recordings to be uploaded.

Note: This is not the usual whining sound these engines make when cold that is considered normal. This sound was not there before the car went to the dealer.
Thanks!

Last edited by speedster77; 07-03-2020 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 05:22 AM   #2
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerboy77 View Post
Hi all,

Need your help with diagnosing a weird noise. Had drivetrain malfunction 3 weeks ago, took it to the dealer and they replaced the injector, ignition coil and spark plug for cylinder 4. They also noticed the upper oil pan gasket was leaking so they replaced that. When they kept the car overnight they noticed some oil on the floor and found the oil pan gasket they replaced was leaking again and so they replaced it again. They say that the gasket was faulty; whether that was the case or the tech messed up, I don't know.
Anyway I got the car back and it drove fine home. Next morning I started it and it started as normal. After waiting for a couple of minutes I gave it some gas and I am hearing a weird whining sound between 800-1300 rpm. It happens when in park and in drive. After about 10-15 minutes the noise goes away. It's very audible in the cabin but hard to hear in the engine bay when the hood is open. When I started the car after 3 hours again (after driving 20 miles), the whining noise came back, so it's not only present on cold start.
It almost sounds like some motor noise to me but I am not sure. It's not high pitched like a typical belt or pulley sound. Does anyone have any idea what might be the issue? It doesn't get captured on video but does on audio recording however this forum doesn't allow audio recordings to be uploaded.

Note: This is not the usual whining sound these engines make when cold that is considered normal. This sound was not there before the car went to the dealer.
Thanks!
Powersteering noise? Tough to tell via internet. I'd bring it back and ask the dealer.
Appreciate 0