M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

05-15-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
John@BPC
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, M4, M5

F10 M5 Differential Bracket Reinforcement

Ruben's differential bracket has been beefed up to handle the brutal torque that his M5 is putting down. Over 800 ft. lbs. to be exact! Preventative measures never hurt. The brace isn't wimpy from the factory but these cars aren't exactly light, and when paired with fast passes on the drag strip and launches from a stop, the risk of failure is a bit higher.

Check out the pictures,

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

I don't remember the exact condition of the M5 differential brackets in the pictures after failure, but I think the two ears at the mounting points were broken. Always difficult to know which broke first, the bolt or the ear, but I believe the bolts were broken also. Are stronger mounting bolts available? Could the tabs have had the reinforcement plate extended and welded all the way to the start of the radius, or is there interference with something? Good job welding to a cast piece, did it seem like sturdy material?

What you've done has to be much stronger than the stock piece. I should probably know, but what the heck is that black plastic piece bolted to the bracket?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
John@BPC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I don't remember the exact condition of the M5 differential brackets in the pictures after failure, but I think the two ears at the mounting points were broken. Always difficult to know which broke first, the bolt or the ear, but I believe the bolts were broken also. Are stronger mounting bolts available? Could the tabs have had the reinforcement plate extended and welded all the way to the start of the radius, or is there interference with something? Good job welding to a cast piece, did it seem like sturdy material?

What you've done has to be much stronger than the stock piece. I should probably know, but what the heck is that black plastic piece bolted to the bracket?
The ear usually breaks first, as the bolt won't take much of the load. The piece hanging off is a vibration damper I believe.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
Lennon997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

so you guys offering this as a service or selling them stand alone? pls let me know
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
John@BPC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennon997 View Post
so you guys offering this as a service or selling them stand alone? pls let me know
We were more so showing what we did to a customers car, but if you would like something similar done we could set that up for you.

Please email our motorsports service advisor Randall@bimmerperformancecenter.com and he can go over pricing for you depending on if you want to buy a new piece and modify it or send your existing one in.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0