M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #1
tmikula92
Rep
Drives: ISO 15 BMW M3

Parking Brake Malfunction

Hey I don't know if this is where this goes but I am a new owner of a 2013 M5. I've had it for about 2 weeks and first issue has appeared.

While I was driving around, slightly spirited a "Parking Brake Malfunction" light came off. I immediately pulled over and tried to use the E brake and nothing. Turned the car on and off and E brake works fine.

Now every once and awhile after I'm driving for a bit (especially if that driving is spirited) that malfunction will come on. It will always go away after turning the car on and off. I do have a 3 year 36k mile warranty on it that would cover this but my dealer is a little bit away. It seems like it has to be a computer issue and was hoping for an easy reset or something. Plan to take it to the dealership tomorrow if it's not that easy.

Any suggestions would be awesome!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 06:55 AM   #2
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

It doesnt sound like it will fix itself
Maybe switch or module issue
It should hold log code
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #3
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Sounds like a wiring or module fault. You should see your dealer for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 09:50 AM   #4
mechatony11
Rep
Drives: toyota

I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my vehicle recently; it turns out that I had a software issue that causes the yellow PARK light illuminates. So, I go to the nearest dealer in my place to update the software. I did a lot of searches on this issue and came across an in-depth article that may be worth reading. Search for "BMW Electronic Parking Brake Malfunction on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes. You can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.
Appreciate 0